Best 'How to" book?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Exbiker
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Best 'How to" book?

Postby Exbiker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I can't find a reference.

I've just bought an NB8A, and I'm looking to go over all the maintenance that hasn't been done. So is there a consensus on the best guide book on this?

I've found Haynes' manuals useful in the past, but I don't know if there's a better one for my MX5.

Cheers

Bruce

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Best 'How to" book?

Postby Lokiel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Keith Tanner (Flyin' Miata) books are good, see https://www.flyinmiata.com/miata-performance-projects.html and https://books.google.com.au/books/about/How_to_Build_a_High_Performance_Mazda_Mi.html?id=wvnQbYLEj6wC&redir_esc=y.

You can also find the service manuals online in .pdf format if you look around.
The MSM/SE ones can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3YbfB30DxW0bEdwS0xSNGVXMzA

Rod Grainger's book, https://books.google.com.au/books/about/Mazda_MX_5_Miata_1_8_Enthusiast_s_Worksh.html?id=wHqGDwAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y, is one of my favourites - it's written for the NA 1.8 but 80% of it probably applies to the NB.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:43 pm

the Mazda workshop manuals are really good. Written for mechanics and engineers with full processes on problem solving and diagrams of subassemblies etc. Haynes manuals written for all sorts of cars are ok but no where near as detailed as factory products. For entertainment by all means look at other things as suggested already.

Exbiker
Learner Driver

Postby Exbiker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 pm

TBH all the work I've learned to do on my MX-5's has been from Google'ing "How to ..." and finding the many very thorough "how to's" on the various forums. For the most part these are better than the books in that real problems that often occur during the particular work are discussed and resolved by members. Not to say the books aren't useful, my old Gregory's manuals taught me a lot over the years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:05 pm

-Original Haynes MX5 manual was for 1990-1997, whereas the latest Haynes MX5 manual appears to be for 1990-2014 (& previously 1990-2005), with similar number of pages. Original Haynes was ok, but the Grainger NA manuals mentioned above were better. Given the new Haynes is said to cover 1990-2014 (& previously 1990-2005), it would be worth seeing content before purchase.
-In addition to the Tanner MX5 books mentioned above, there's also the Norman Garrett MX5 book, but focus was mainly NA given when it was published.
-Mazda MX-5 Miata Workshop Manuals (NA/NB/NC/ND) courtesy of Beavis (on this forum):
https://beavismotorsport.com/guides-tec ... op-manual/

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Yes, I thik the time of books has diminished. There is always something online or on Youtoooob.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:23 pm

Sure the net is very useful but it has a lot of misguided infomation and plain bad advice from untrained people. A workshop manual can be read at leisure or photocopied or scanned and referred to while a job is being done. I have an old car and have makers manuals and Gregorys as well- there is another manual but to date I have not been able to get it. What you find is that some things are covered better in one medium than another . I reckon if you have the time all the sources can be of value. Some really simple things are often covered on the net whereas manuals may assume a trained mechanic is doing stuff.

Exbiker
Learner Driver

Postby Exbiker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:04 pm

Thanks guys. I've downloaded the pdf workshop manual - very useful.

From past experience (mainly MG's) I found Haynes manuals to be more 'accessible' than workshop manuals. Maybe because they assume less skill on behalf of the owner than w/shop manuals written for trained mechanics.

I'll have a look at the other manuals suggested. Good point on the youtube searches - some are very good. I suppose as per most stuff on the web you need to use your skill & judgement to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Bruce

aka_juffa
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby aka_juffa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:45 pm

OMG, we have two Bruces. Why do I feel like I am in a Monty Python sketch. :)

Anyway.

In addition to the suggested books and youboob there is also.....

https://www.miata.net/garage/

ps I have the Rod Grainger book for my NA8.
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:22 pm

They call ME Bruce!

Exbiker
Learner Driver

Postby Exbiker » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 am

I'm Sparticus!

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:13 am

The Mazda official workshop manuals are unmatched, particularly when it comes to completeness, correctness and technical specification.

I use it as the bible but I still go to youtube and the like before doing a new job. MX5s have been around for a long time. Original repair and design problems are well known now and new short cuts or workarounds and improvements have been found.
’95 NA8

Return to “MX5 General Chat”