Why are v8 supercars dríven so straight.

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

ralt
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Why are v8 supercars dríven so straight.

Postby ralt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi.
I have just been watching replays of v8 supercars replays from tasmania. Scot Pye Had a big accident with a brake failure and hit a fence head on. Nothing unusual until you watch the replays. He could not avoid hitting head on why? The cars have very restricted steering lock in order to drive the cars as straight as possible and therfore Pye could not avoid a front on accident. If he had a car with more steering lock the car would probably have hit the fence with the rear quarter panel.Just to reinforce my comments in the last few years have you seen a v8 supercar demonstrating opposite lock,or getting sideways. V8 supercars are a joke the fans (and drivers) deserve more .

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Re: Why are v8 supercars dríven so straight.

Postby project.r.racing » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Races cars are not street cars. They dont need 3.5 turns lock to lock.

A engineered steering system with minimal turns allow for easier ability for driver to turn against straightening forces and more precise steering adjustments.

Sometimes situations outside of the drivers control. And no amount of over or under engineering will solve the situation.

Crashes happen. That is racing.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:11 pm

Crikey. Complaining about why a racecar has so little turning lock...
They just don't need it, simple as that.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:36 pm

Too much free time to watch TV, there will be more COVID19 inspired observations to be waded through.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:45 pm

.... because race car!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:09 pm

Maybe its safer to hit the barrier head on.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Lots of reasons to hit the fence head-on, if you care to think about it. Some because of crash protection in the car, others relating to what is happening between LOC and impact, eg retardation, keeping it stable; also what might happen after impact (case in point, the Canto/Lambo shunt in the B12Hr).

The other option is to hit rear first, a lot safer now that the fuel is no longer in the boot, but that is only really viable if the dynamics of the incident set it up for the driver.

And yes, I have seen lots of opp lock/sideways action, and I rarely watch, not being a fan of spec racers.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:35 am

ralt wrote:Hi.
I have just been watching replays of v8 supercars replays from tasmania. Scot Pye Had a big accident with a brake failure and hit a fence head on. Nothing unusual until you watch the replays. He could not avoid hitting head on why? The cars have very restricted steering lock in order to drive the cars as straight as possible and therfore Pye could not avoid a front on accident. If he had a car with more steering lock the car would probably have hit the fence with the rear quarter panel.Just to reinforce my comments in the last few years have you seen a v8 supercar demonstrating opposite lock,or getting sideways. V8 supercars are a joke the fans (and drivers) deserve more .

I think there are two key reasons:

1) If you are trying to wash off speed, a straight line is best. Attempts at steering will substantially reduce the braking effectiveness, which in turn means you might hit backwards or sideways, but travelling faster than if you’d just stuck to braking.

2) Sideways is not quick. I think there is probably a good amount of 4 wheel drifting going on at the front but because it is controlled and smooth it’s not that easy to see on camera. The engineers have no doubt worked hard to balance the cars for this, and the drivers are working hard not to overdrive the car, losing time and tyre.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”