MX-5 weekend drive counts as exercise, same as a motorcycle?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

MikeVictor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

MX-5 weekend drive counts as exercise, same as a motorcycle?

Postby MikeVictor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:55 pm

In QLD at least, taking your motorcycle for a tour through the countryside is considered exercise apparently.

Got me thinking - should the same be true going for a spin in your MX-5? Two seats, likely be occupied up owner and immediate family member at the most and either way never going to breach the two person rule.

Would certainly be good a good bit of mental exercise to keep the confinement blues away- no need to pull up anywhere just go driving for a few hours or until I need more E85.
ND GT with a loose nut behind wheel

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: MX-5 weekend drive counts as exercise, same as a motorcycle?

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:10 pm

How does a motorcycle ride count as exercise. That is just plain incorrect and stupid. If the Police pull you over you are destined for a fine.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:22 pm

i doubt QLD are considering riding a motorcycle as exercise and clearly driving a car is certainly not exercise. Not aware of the rules in QLD but in Vic the Govt are trying to dissuade "us" not to be out and about driving without a good reason. Hopefully it does not come down to booking drivers after being questioned by the Police- in theory they cannot do that without a law or of course your Premier can make a special decree under Emergency conditions. If someone is just driving their car and not getting out its hard to understand the logic- i.e. what risk? . Maybe its just a case of taking the line of persuading people to stick to essential reasons for going out. Not defending it or promoting it.

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Two workmates got done on mt nebo a few days ago. Leaving the house without good reason. Driving cars does not count as exercise.

MikeVictor
Fast Driver

Postby MikeVictor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:10 pm

bruce wrote:How does a motorcycle ride count as exercise. That is just plain incorrect and stupid. If the Police pull you over you are destined for a fine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-03/ ... s/12084660

Look under "What counts as exercise"

Going on a solo motorcycle ride counts as exercise, according to the Queensland Health Minister's office.

project.r.racing wrote:Two workmates got done on mt nebo a few days ago. Leaving the house without good reason. Driving cars does not count as exercise.

Thanks mate, guess that answers it.

LiteIsRite
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby LiteIsRite » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 pm

While driving your car (or riding your motorbike) may or may not be considered exercise, I have been looking for other legitimate opportunities to drive 'Cherry' in the current circumstances...

I had one yesterday, when my daughter needed a lift to work (at a pharmacy) while her car is being repaired. Another opportunity I hope to make use of is taking my wife to her place of exercise, about 10 minutes away. Of course, it's entirely possible that I may take the long way :wink:
”How you get there is the worthier part.” - Shepherd Book, Firefly
"Cherry" - Classic Red 1990 NA6 :NA6: [sold]

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:17 pm

So much friggin navel gazing going on and stupid ideas being put forward. What may be interesting to you is not that exciting to others.

MikeVictor
Fast Driver

Postby MikeVictor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:27 pm

bruce wrote:So much friggin navel gazing going on and stupid ideas being put forward. What may be interesting to you is not that exciting to others.

It's ok mate. Just have a cuppa and a lie down, you'll feel better tomorrow.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:45 pm

Yes, I will boil up cuppa from the 10kg box of tea bags I bought and take a lie down in my king sized bed of hoarded loo paper.
May then go for a pointless drive in the MX5 with the roof down.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:49 am

Victoria has much clearer messaging coming from the government than we do in QLD. QLD isn't doing too well in explaining anything at all.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm

Bruce, NO drive in the MX5 is "pointless".
I regard my weekly drive as a 'mental-health-drive' - a bit like some people used to have a day off work to salvage their sanity and call it a 'mental-health-day'.
The only downside is that sooner or later you have to go to a Service-station to fill up.
I would hope that sanity would prevail and the Police can find something more productive to do with their time than pestering lone motorists (MC or car) that are behaving themselves.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:11 pm

I'm seeing a lot of articles on news.com.au about people being fined for non-essential travel, including a Learner driver with her Mum, people who wanted to get out of the house and were fined for sitting in their cars, and a bit from a senior cop saying you will be fined for non-essential travel.

Seems a little over the top to me, one or two people in a single car is not interacting or coming into contact with others. But(!) it does become a problem when everyone does it. Like going to the beach, it's fine if a few people do it and stay apart, but then others want to do it and suddenly the beach is full and people keep coming!

Bottom line, don't go out. Not worth the fine and not worth the health risk to ourselves or others. It sucks, but we all just have to toe the line for the next few months. We'll get through it, then we'll look back and the inconvenience to those of us who remained healthy (and let's hope we do) will seem insignificant.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:13 pm

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-live-updates/live-coverage/b2623adf575b26f34ce47507c437996c#43898

HIGHLIGHT
You can't even go for a drive

Frank Chung
In case you were wondering if it was OK to escape the house and go for a scenic drive somewhere, even if you don't get out of the car – no, it's not OK.

Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll scolded people who were issued fines over the weekend for "blatantly just being out and about going for a ride or a drive".

Queensland Police have issued 139 penalty infringement notices in the past week. Nineteen of those were related to a car rally in Rochedale, while others were "around non-essential travel, blatantly disregarding quarantine rules (and) lack of social distancing in our parks".

"Disappointingly, although we have given a lot of messaging around this, people are still disregarding and blatantly disregarding the rules," Ms Carroll said.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:13 pm

A 17yo learner driver, with her Mum in the car, has been fined in Vic for non essential travel!!

Ah Lachy posted this same time!!

In isolation it appears excessive, but give an inch ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm

That mum of the 17yo said to the journo that she had no destinatipn nor was meeting up with anyone. Clearly non essential travel. I really dont find it confusing. Go out for food and work and exercise and medical.

As for those whom suggestion it is a little extreme in the previous
few posts. Last week you said we all need to do the correct thing and stay home. Now I am confused.

p.s. i think thst mum should have got the fine, not the 17yo. 17yo is minor. Mum is adult.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”