Love the beast

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

PeterB
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Love the beast

Postby PeterB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Rewatching the Eric Bana Beast movie and the footage of him racing the yellow Porsche when it blows up, and although hard to see it looks like he is chasing a Prod Sports MX5 with no windscreen.

Thought it may be Brian Anderson in Fanta, but the wing looks too big? May be the red one?

Any thoughts, although it may be my lousy eyesight and it is another brand.
Peter B
MX5 free for present

GCMX5
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Love the beast

Postby GCMX5 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Ahhh, the things we resort to to stay entertained in this time of isolation. :lol:
Fun in the Sun on the "GC" - oops, now in "PS"
Mindy the NA6
Morticia the NA8

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 pm

I'll dig out my copy and see if my 4k TV helps the diagnosis. How far in is that scene Peter?

OK, found the dvd, and the scene. Looks more like a track day than say prodsports. The one with the stepped rear wing supports says MGB V8, so it probably is.

The other could be anything, but my guess is a TR6 - looks to me like horizontal elements in the tail lights,carrying lots of tyre, more than I would expect from a 5 given what appears to be the age of the film. The ROPS is not BD pattern, but that means little. The image quality is quite poor, very grainy/noisy especially when stepped through frame by frame.

Good of him to have camera on the rear when he blew it up, makes for a good momento of what would have been a very expensive few seconds!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

PeterB
Fast Driver

Postby PeterB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 am

Thanks, benefit of a quality TV.

He ran in the Victorian Sports Car Championship for a few years with several MX5s as well as the MGBV8 and others.

But what was I thinking, as of course the MX5s would have been well ahead of a mere Porsche. Glad I didnt have to pay for the engine.
Peter B
MX5 free for present

PeterB
Fast Driver

Postby PeterB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:12 am

Natsoft says that he had a dnf in race 1 of the Victorian State Sports Car Championship in June 2006 at PI.

MGBV8 and TR8 entered, but no MX5s.

Maybe that was the day.
Peter B
MX5 free for present

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:51 am

That sounds right. Looking quickly at TR8 rear end photos shows a horizontal strip (reversing light?) of white under the coloured part, which is probably blending into the body colour in the poor quality video. Even though the video is poor, neither of the candidates scream 'MX5' so with the Natsoft data we can pretty conclusively rule them out.

From that shot of the blowup, ISTR those air intakes indicate a turbo - shouldn't a 911 turbo be at the head of the field? Surely not dicing with a Triumph and an MG ... :shock: :lol:

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Jeo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:01 am

PeterB wrote:Natsoft says that he had a dnf in race 1 of the Victorian State Sports Car Championship in June 2006 at PI.

That's some quality sleuthing Peter.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”