SP or ND2?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: SP or ND2?

Postby bootz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:24 pm

smy0003 wrote:The ND will likely soilder on for many years to come with the current economic outlook.

Had another stroke of lunacy/genius the other night.

Harrop in Melbourne (I'm in Melbourne) will supercharge and fully engineer an 86/BRZ for $11k.
Considering you can get an 86 for $15k, a 180wkw, legal, lightish coupe sounds pretty good.

Harrop did the supercharger for the TRD Aurion as well as the Lotus Exige, and the kit looks very high quality.

What would be a real stroke of lunacy is a TRD 86 with the SC from factory.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm

lucmor444 wrote: It's stock chassis set up also, based on many reports, appears to be better than a stock ND set up.

Not when I last looked. Maybe they now have wishbones all round, I don't know, or really care ...

As someone who was fascinated about superchargers once, I would now say 'no thanks'. Turbo it for $11k, and you have my attention :)

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lucmor444 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:40 pm

[/quote]

..........I don't know, or really care ...

:[/quote]

Then why comment?

A specification doesn’t, in itself, guarantee an outcome.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 pm

lucmor444 wrote:

..........I don't know, or really care ...

:

Then why comment?

A specification doesn’t, in itself, guarantee an outcome.

Two reasons I commented. To question a statement I believe to be questionable. And to note that a turbo conversion would be my preference, given its WRX heritage.

Agree, a spec doesn't mean a lot by itself - the acid test is what it delivers, and the MX specs are a proven success. The 86 seems to produce a good outcome from its specs, but I have not seen anything that places it above the MX for handling - happy to see those references you cited, I'm always open to changing my mind. Until I then, I hold the view that the 86 is slightly inferior to the MX as a sportscar, and hence my 86 care factor is low.

Not sure this thread is the place to debate the merits of the 86 though. Maybe we need a new thread: '86 or MX5'?

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

CeramicND
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby CeramicND » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:01 pm

86 would appear to the best possible road/track performance from the cheapest possible suspension set-up. MX5, the best possible suspension set-up tuned primarily for back road performance.

My son has a Clio RS200 and I can't believe when the car is on a hoist just how cheap the engineering is underneath. Definitely built to a price.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk
Eibach Springs, Racing Beat Sport/Race Muffler, Shorai/Arrows Battery Kit, Nielex Knuckle Supports, Advanti 17 x 7 S2's, Hankook 215/45/17 RS3's.

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:15 pm

CeramicND wrote:86 would appear to the best possible road/track performance from the cheapest possible suspension set-up. MX5, the best possible suspension set-up tuned primarily for back road performance.

My son has a Clio RS200 and I can't believe when the car is on a hoist just how cheap the engineering is underneath. Definitely built to a price.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

Agreed, my RS250 megane has a torsion beam rear, but handles better than my NA and NB MX-5's.
One of the best handling cars out there, and it's not that harsh on rough roads either.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:19 pm

greenMachine wrote:
lucmor444 wrote: It's stock chassis set up also, based on many reports, appears to be better than a stock ND set up.

Not when I last looked. Maybe they now have wishbones all round, I don't know, or really care ...

As someone who was fascinated about superchargers once, I would now say 'no thanks'. Turbo it for $11k, and you have my attention :)

Agree RE turbo, but I'll take whatever forced induction that can be made legal in Vic.
The fact that it's by a company with fairly extensive experience supplying OE to Toyota and Lotus is a big draw also.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:40 pm

Well they have to do something, not much work coming from HSV these days.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:11 am

greenMachine wrote:Maybe we need a new thread: '86 or MX5'?

86 or MX-5 p10: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=76908&start=135

Return to “MX5 General Chat”