SP or ND2?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

SP or ND2?

Postby smy0003 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi all,
I've been thinking for the last 18 months that I should be back in an MX-5. I've been catching the train to work for the last couple of years (well, I'm driving right now but only due to COVID) so the RS250 doesn't get dríven much at all. It's a great car, and quite practical, but I'm an MX-5 tragic at heart.

The question is, which MX-5?

I've almost pulled the trigger on near-new ND2s a couple of times (low 30's price-wise). Latest one was this: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... 2293/?Cr=0
But it's in NSW where I can't get to, and also under finance. All a bit complicated at the moment.

But, what about an SP? For the price of an ND2 I could have an SP with a GTX2860, Haltech and more power than my old turbo NA8. Would also be slightly more legal than my old turbo NA8. Would certainly be a project, and lack a lot of safety, tech and comfort compared to the ND2. But, you know... boost.

What does everyone think? Your opinions will alleviate my lockdown boredom.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

madmort
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: SP or ND2?

Postby madmort » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:49 pm

For what it's worth I'd have an ND2 all day long, Overpriced NBs are plentiful, but 16 to 20 years old now.
Either way the tragedy would be no MX5.
Cheers

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby CrazyRacer » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 pm

I have an ND1 and a lightly modded SE so similar to compare.

For a daily the ND wins hands down.
For some weekend fun in the hills, I'd choose the SP.
The ND is also way more usable for longer trips, so you can use it for weekends away etc (if we're ever allowed to do that again).

If I had to choose just one for both, I'd probably go the ND, especially if its an ND2.

There are a few boosted NDs floating around too, so there's nothing to stop you going down that path at some stage if the 135kw is insufficient.

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:14 pm

If you can afford it go for the ND2.

You can then mod it if you feel like it or enjoy it as is.

I personally think SPs should be kept close to stock to maintain their providence.

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm

madmort wrote:Either way the tragedy would be no MX5.

Wise words!

CrazyRacer wrote:I have an ND1 and a lightly modded SE so similar to compare.

If I had to choose just one for both, I'd probably go the ND, especially if its an ND2.

There are a few boosted NDs floating around too, so there's nothing to stop you going down that path at some stage if the 135kw is insufficient.

Thanks CrazyRacer. The issue in Vic is getting any turbo conversion engineered, hence the idea of the SP.

lucmor444 wrote:If you can afford it go for the ND2.

You can then mod it if you feel like it or enjoy it as is.

I personally think SPs should be kept close to stock to maintain their providence.

Thanks Lucmor, I think and SP could be made to be quite a quick car with easily reversible mods. Even just a plugin ECU and injectors should see 160wkW. Not my intention to hack up an SP. Quite proud of the SP and Australia's relationship with Mazda.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:55 pm

ND.
There's no-one to mod an SP (as Dann is n ow untrustworthy).

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Re: SP or SE is the real question!

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Can't see why the ND has to be the tourer, my SE with ECU and suspension is a mighty tourer, only lacks cruise control and that is fixable.

The shop that did the work on my car (ecu/tuning, etc) builds Yokahama TA cars, previously did a lot of work on turbo rally cars, they would have to be as good as Dann on a turbo build, and I am sure there are other options around the place. If it is just an ECU/tune, and maybe a few mild tweaks (zorst, intake?), that is not rocket science - but still requires careful selection of ECU/tuner.

I'd suggest broadening your choices to include an SE. The SE will (I think) gain value with an ECU, and the driveability and reliability issues will disappear too. Either the SP or SE will, properly done, be serious performance cars, whereas the ND will never be anything but boring by comparison.

I can understand people liking the ND, but when it is being discussed in the same sentence as an SP (or SE), it is like Vauxhall Viva and SL/R5000 Torana, only the Mazda equivalents are more liveable and useable.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:45 pm

NB is getting on in years now, but if turbo fun is what you prefer, the SE or SP is the choice in Vic.

I’ve never been in an ND, but they look great and have age on their side. I want one.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Was going to suggest considering the SE as well. Regard the ND being the better tourer, my wife and I have toured quite extensively in our SE and never had any problems with space or comfort for a couple of weeks away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Never been in an ND. I have a stock NB8B with 57xxx km... fun for a bit until my foot goes to sleep. slow too. I have a supercharged NA-8, rattles your teeth out, both have stuff all space. ND looks like it has worse space, try an NC or keep the RS Megane if the AC still works. At least it pretends to be useful.

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Reminds me of a discussion with a friend....we were talking cars
Alfa Montreal or Series 1 E-type Jaguar?
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: SP or SE is the real question!

Postby bootz » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 pm

greenMachine wrote:Can't see why the ND has to be the tourer, my SE with ECU and suspension is a mighty tourer, only lacks cruise control and that is fixable.

I can understand people liking the ND, but when it is being discussed in the same sentence as an SP (or SE), it is like Vauxhall Viva and SL/R5000 Torana, only the Mazda equivalents are more liveable and useable.

:mrgreen:

No, it is more accurately the choice between a Lotus Elan and a Lotus Esprit Turbo.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:33 pm

ND2 all day.

Regarding SP vs NC2 it would be a question of how much you care about handling compared to power. The SP is an NB which is essentially a refined 1980's chassis whereas the NC2 is a mid 2000's chassis. In my view the NC2 is the superior car by a long shot and if I wanted power I'd go buy a different car.

Regarding the ND2 option I would never spend well over 30k for an MX5, I never spent more than 15k for either my NC1 when I got it years ago or my NC2 I currently have which I don't consider much worse than an ND2. You can buy a 987 Boxster S for the same money or less than that ND2 and have a car that won't depreciate and is superior in almost every way.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:44 am

SP, SE = Great cars.
ND2 = Better car

SP, SE = Better investment

I chose a great SE (GTX2860)(113XXX) after a long time researching. Mighty on the track. Great on the road and a blast in the country. After 3 years, it has cost me nothing in depreciation.

Partly, I love it because it is old school low tech.

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:00 am

If it’s mainly a road car, then IMO an ND2 is a no brainer over any NB. (SE,SP)

I have an NB8A track car which is horrible on the road, and a stock NB8B which is not much less horrible on the road.
An ND drives so much nicer it’s not funny, and putting up with the difference every day would do my head in.
NBs are 20 years old now and it shows...

Return to “MX5 General Chat”