SP or ND2?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

bigdog
King of the kennel
Vehicle: NB SP

Re: SP or ND2?

Postby bigdog » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:01 am

Very nice Dan!
Marvin - '02 Silver SP - BD, PSS9, Guru, Build #62 Cardomain

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:21 am

I didn't know 987.2s had gotten so cheap! If only the Spyder would drop that low, or at least below $80k (currently still going for $100k), I would be all over it.

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:31 am

ManiacLachy wrote:I didn't know 987.2s had gotten so cheap! If only the Spyder would drop that low, or at least below $80k (currently still going for $100k), I would be all over it.

Yeh, I honestly was looking for a 987.2 Cayman but the price and Porsche warranty got me over the line on this one. The nearest advertised price for a 987.2 manual is about 10k above what I paid for this one. Honestly his carsales photos did no favors to the actual condition of the car.

Have ordered some stuff like black edition side air intakes, new clear stone guards, a short shift kit (stock shift knob is shaky, common thing), colour wheel crests, replacement knobs for the sticky PCM parts and titanium wheel bolts (stock are faded). After those are installed and some compound/polish by me to remove the swirls it will be absolutely perfect.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:37 am

Dan wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote:I didn't know 987.2s had gotten so cheap! If only the Spyder would drop that low, or at least below $80k (currently still going for $100k), I would be all over it.

Yeh, I honestly was looking for a 987.2 Cayman but the price and Porsche warranty got me over the line on this one.

I was going to ask whether you had considered the Cayman. I think it is better looking than a 911, and would be my first pick if I was going in that direction.

When you are buying second hand, the choices tend to be limited and you have to take what you can get. In my case it was a red SE. Red! :roll: But the deal was so good I made the tradeoff, and certainly don't regret the decision.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Dan
Racing Driver

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:15 pm

greenMachine wrote:
Dan wrote:

Yeh, I honestly was looking for a 987.2 Cayman but the price and Porsche warranty got me over the line on this one.

I was going to ask whether you had considered the Cayman. I think it is better looking than a 911, and would be my first pick if I was going in that direction.

When you are buying second hand, the choices tend to be limited and you have to take what you can get. In my case it was a red SE. Red! :roll: But the deal was so good I made the tradeoff, and certainly don't regret the decision.

:mrgreen:

Yeh I agree, I absolutely love the Cayman's shape. The rear arches are just perfect on the Cayman and the Boxster doesn't have anywhere near the same look but I still like it with the top down.

The thing is I want a 987.2 for the better engine and can't justify the price people want for 987.2 Manual Cayman's which is mid-50's. For example there is one in Melbourne at the moment with a sports exhaust but no Porsche Warranty for 55k which needs a major service, tyres and brakes and the owner still won't budge much on the asking price so it's a 60k+ car once you fix it.

I can also see a ton of downward pressure on 987.2 values coming now the 981 Boxsters are in the 50's and 981 Cayman's are in the 60's.

Furthermore they are also just crossing over where people can't borrow on them from mainstream lenders as I think most lenders are between 12-15 years maximum at the end of the loan term. So cash buyers are needed more which in this economy are becoming less. I paid in cash but I had to pay out the previous owners loan as he is getting squeezed by the bank having to pay P&I on his home loan, speaking to other sellers when looking around this seems to be a very common situation (nearly got a 996 manual coupe for a song but missed out).

I can't see a 987.2 Boxster being worth much less than 30k in the next 5 years so I figure enjoying a Porsche under factory warranty for 1.5k depreciation a year is a pretty good deal and while I'd prefer a Cayman I'll cry about it in my Boxster :mrgreen:
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

pcmx5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pcmx5 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 am

ND 2 will be my next MX5, can almost forgive the piddly 205 NM of torque but the power to weight is good.I loved my 1.5 ND and that you had to drive it to get it to perform and it did, surprisingly well .
My second choice would be a NC Recaro but with a 4.1 diff.
SP is collectable but not great car with standard suspension and no LSD
Just my two bobs worth,
Peter.
.Now ND2 Roadster prev NC2 Recaro's ,BBS wheels,full exhaust, Tiens NA 1.6.NA 1.8 LE(106RWKW)NC1,NC2.ND 1.5 .

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:00 pm

First choice if I could get one would be 1.5ND with the AVO turbo kit. What a blast that would BE!!!

Next choice would be an NC with a 2.5, now that would probably satisfy my disappointment with the standard torque curve. Safe, easy to maintain choice.

Next would be a sorted Nitro Dann NB turbo, all the fruit there, nothing to do there but drive. Possibly a bit wild for me, not too sure, always liked his work.

Next would be a standard or lightly modded 124, just cause it is different. Will be a rare collectible in 20 yrs but overpriced in Oz.

Last would be a SP. Nice car just not special enough these days.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 pm

bootz wrote:First choice if I could get one would be 1.5ND with the AVO turbo kit. What a blast that would BE!!!

Next choice would be an NC with a 2.5, now that would probably satisfy my disappointment with the standard torque curve. Safe, easy to maintain choice.

Next would be a sorted Nitro Dann NB turbo, all the fruit there, nothing to do there but drive. Possibly a bit wild for me, not too sure, always liked his work.

Next would be a standard or lightly modded 124, just cause it is different. Will be a rare collectible in 20 yrs but overpriced in Oz.

Last would be a SP. Nice car just not special enough these days.

Had a nitroDann turbo na8. Was never engineered for legal road use though. Would like to avoid that this time around. I don't think any aftermarket turbo systems will be legal on the NDs in vic
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Dann is no longer an option anyway.

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:02 pm

bruce wrote:Dann is no longer an option anyway.

People do sell his setups occasionally
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

Col99
Driver

Postby Col99 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 pm

At the risk of being howled down by the purists, have you considered a late model NC. Last year I was in your position looking for a car and the choice narrowed down to a SP and an NC. I drove the SP and was disappointed by the lack of performance, and considering the age of the car and the price asked the NC seemed a better choice, I was lucky and picked up a 2013 NC with less than 50K on it one owner Fsh and in good but not brilliant condition. A new set of 003's and I was set. A recent car, goes like the hammers above 4000rpm and tight as in the suspension.

If you only want as car for the road please consider.

aupsloptp
Learner Driver

Postby aupsloptp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Lokiel wrote:I'd LOVE an electric-powered MX5 once they figure out how to make batteries lighter.

Agree! That would be the only version that might turn my head from my beloved SE Donna. The new MX-30 is all-electric, maybe we should start a sweep as to when the first electric MX-5 arrives? I'll start off with 2024, given COVID.

madmort
Fast Driver

Postby madmort » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 pm

The repercussions of COVID19 could last longer than 2024. Don't hold your breath, OH! wait, no do.

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pm

The ND will likely soilder on for many years to come with the current economic outlook.

Had another stroke of lunacy/genius the other night.

Harrop in Melbourne (I'm in Melbourne) will supercharge and fully engineer an 86/BRZ for $11k.
Considering you can get an 86 for $15k, a 180wkw, legal, lightish coupe sounds pretty good.

Harrop did the supercharger for the TRD Aurion as well as the Lotus Exige, and the kit looks very high quality.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:27 pm

An 86/BRZ with that kit would be very tempting. It's stock chassis set up also, based on many reports, appears to be better than a stock ND set up.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”