ND drivers: how tall are you?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

colster3
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

ND drivers: how tall are you?

Postby colster3 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:19 am

Hi,
I have had my current NCLE MX5 from new. Fell in love with it the first day it was in the showroom in 2005. Although it has just turned over 80,000 km and runs fine, I am thinking about upgrading to an ND.

I sat in one when they were released and found my head touched the inside of the soft top and my knees were in contact with the dash. Not sure if they are much smaller than my NC1 or whether I didn’t have the adjustment in the right spot.

I am 187cm and a shade over 100kg. Just wondering if anyone around my height fits in... had considered a foamectomy but that’s a big call for a new car.

Cheers
Col
"yes yes yes! I know what I'm doing! Just leave me alone...

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: ND drivers: how tall are you?

Postby lucmor444 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:58 am

I’m 185cm and 82kg. I have an RF which has less headroom than the ST. I had about 15mm headroom to spare with the roof up and no problems with clearance for my knees.

Nevertheless I installed lower seat brackets which gave me more room.

Fit comfort can depend on body shape (eg long torso shorter legs or vice versa).

Only real way to know if you fit and more importantly are comfortable is to try and take one for a longer test drive.

colster3
Fast Driver

Postby colster3 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:14 pm

lucmor444 wrote:I’m 185cm and 82kg. I have an RF which has less headroom than the ST. I had about 15mm headroom to spare with the roof up and no problems with clearance for my knees.

Nevertheless I installed lower seat brackets which gave me more room.

Fit comfort can depend on body shape (eg long torso shorter legs or vice versa).

Only real way to know if you fit and more importantly are comfortable is to try and take one for a longer test drive.

Thanks Lucmor444!

The concept of lower mounts sounds like a possibility. The NC is so roomy compared to my old NB8A (traded in on the current NC).

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sun May 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Thats all crazy. If the car does not fit its the wrong car. The NC seems like its got more room than an ND . If you get into a car on a cold day with a big coat on or a couple of jumpers and a cap then a small cockpit and low headroom is a big negative. I have a few friends who rule out MX5s because the cars were never meant for for a taller or heaver built drivers or passenger. I once had a pair of RM Willians riding boots- they were always a bit tight even with thin socks- they ended up in the OP shop.

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:11 pm

I don't understand what's 'crazy'.

It's just another mod but I do understand if owners are only interested in keeping their purchase original.

I on the other am very happy to muck around to make things more fit for my particular purpose.

madmort
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby madmort » Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:Thats all crazy. If the car does not fit its the wrong car. The NC seems like its got more room than an ND . If you get into a car on a cold day with a big coat on or a couple of jumpers and a cap then a small cockpit and low headroom is a big negative. I have a few friends who rule out MX5s because the cars were never meant for for a taller or heaver built drivers or passenger.
I once had a pair of RM Willians riding boots- they were always a bit tight even with thin socks- they ended up in the OP shop.

Your the one that left a $300 pair of boots in the shop that I paid $30 for and don't tell me you had a Weiden leather jacket that didn't fit that you got rid of too! OP shops were treasure troves in the 70s

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Fri May 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:Thats all crazy. If the car does not fit its the wrong car.…..

So what should I get instead that can do what my NA does, for anything like the same price?
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 pm

I dont understand why anyone wants to put up with an inconvenience in cars because you buy something that suits ones tastes and stature / size. I have a few mates who really think MX-5s are obviously good cars but not designed for their stature. Mazda said with the NA that the car was not meant for everyone and its not. The seats are not made for heavy frames, leg room is restricted, windscreen heights relatively low , and roofs can restrict headroom. Taking foam out of seats compromises adequate cushioning and for most would render the car as uncomfortable over a longer run. When I sold my NB a family member took it down for the RWC- he said it was ok looking over the top of the windscreen and he did have his sunnies on so he made to the garage - getting out was not much fun either.

Madmort mentioned the leather jacket. I had a few of those and my first Marlon Brando jacket - made in Melbourne -is now long gone but it's a timeless style. I still have a full length oilskin coat now 35 years old but reluctant to ditch it - but I did buy a replacement which is more practical for walking on wet days and its much lighter than an oilskin.

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:24 am

At my height (190 - 192 cm depending on how long I have been laying down for), no car suits me. Nor aeroplanes, trains, cinemas, doctor's waiting rooms.....

If I am going to modify my car to make it comfortable (and I usually do) I may as well modify a car I like/want.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:40 am

I think if you plan on keeping an NA and want to make it fit then go that route. I few years ago I chatted with a QLD driver who came down to the big gathering of MX-5s at Sandown. He was very slim guy buy more than 6ft 6in - so it can be done. A mate of mine is also at least the same height maybe more but but a big frame - he just dont fit in any MX-5 - he has tried.

colster3
Fast Driver

Postby colster3 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am

My main reason for asking was that since I had a sit in an ND in a showroom, I have seen Brian Goodwin in an ND and I believe we are a similar height. There are always variances, long torso, short legs and vice versa.

Thanks for your comments. I have decided to do some upgrades on my NCLE as I have had it since new (coming up on 15 years). It’s only got 80k on the clock.

So a new(er) top tomorrow, upgrade my Mazdaspeed springs and std Bilsteins for some coil overs, and a new sound system that can run sat nav and hands free calls.

Might even spring for some better seats (or re-cover the std ones to fix the cracked leather. This is pretty much the only sign of wear

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:41 am

Sounds like a good plan - keep enjoying your NC.

There was some very nice NC Ohlins for sale on FB this morning?

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm

seat covers- I had lambswool covers made for NC - that worked very well- short nap and hard wearing and improves comfort as well.

pcmx5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pcmx5 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:50 pm

I found my ND cloth seats much more comfortable than my NC which other then the Recaro version had the hardest . slippery and most unsupportive seats of any car I have owned!!
I am 5.10 and solid and had no drama fitting into the ND.

Peter
.Now ND2 Roadster prev NC2 Recaro's ,BBS wheels,full exhaust, Tiens NA 1.6.NA 1.8 LE(106RWKW)NC1,NC2.ND 1.5 .

MX5STA
Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby MX5STA » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:31 am

Re NC leather seats,
They are terrible!
Best thing I did for my NC1 was to replace them with fabric seats.
Made a world of difference comfort-wise.
Cheers, Jon
2005 NC
2016 RS Focus
1979 RS2000

Return to “MX5 General Chat”