Learned a bit about QLD mod plates recently

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

MikeVictor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Learned a bit about QLD mod plates recently

Postby MikeVictor » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:56 am

Been doing mods to my cars and bikes for over twenty years now, everything from simple stuff like an exhaust to bit more complex like wiring work, tuning and engine bay mods that don't require a hoist. Would use a qualified mechanic for suspension work and more recently, brake caliper replacement.

I thought I was doing the right thing when I called my insurer and told them what I wanted to do and what I was doing it with - they said no problem sir, would you like it listed on your policy. Yes please I said.

My mechanic let me know about these things called mod plates.

I had no idea about the QLD mod plate scheme and what was involved. Boy was I in for a surprise, heaps of reading, and lots of opinions. Not to mention the prices charged - anywhere from $350 for two plates to $1400 (same work). I get why the legislation exists, so this post isn't about arguing anything or the finer points of it - if I'm going to die on a beach I'll choose which one on what day thanks. It's more about pointing this out to anyone else doing mods that has never had anyone point it out to them before.

From a personal view, if it's what I need to do to make sure I don't have to worry about plod or purple light plod (TMR) giving me a hard time then I accept it's the cost I have to pay to play. No problem there. In hindsight I reckon part of the reason is that it's not often discussed in forums and even more so given it's very localised legislation for our corner of the globe.

Happy driving everyone.

:ND:
ND GT with a loose nut behind wheel

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: Learned a bit about QLD mod plates recently

Postby bruce » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:15 am

Sounds like you've been living in a cave for a long time. It actually changes from State to State (but then I think you can claim it to carry over). It is just major work, expense and paperwork.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:42 am

Seems like a useful reminder ( heads up) to folks about making changes that may require an engineers mod plate. A guy I know did a lot of changes on a car which were quite extreme such as a different engine and various other things without engineers certification and my guess is that would be very tricky if someone wants to buy the car and use it on the road.

MikeVictor
Fast Driver

Postby MikeVictor » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:15 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:Seems like a useful reminder ( heads up) to folks about making changes that may require an engineers mod plate. A guy I know did a lot of changes on a car which were quite extreme such as a different engine and various other things without engineers certification and my guess is that would be very tricky if someone wants to buy the car and use it on the road.

Thanks mate and yes that's the main reasons behind sharing this particular story. Hope it's helpful for others out there given we're not born knowing this stuff.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:23 pm

I have told this story before, but I know of a bloke who bought a modded SE, brakes, ECU, intake, exhaust, IC, etc. I think the engine was untouched though. He sold the car and the buyer was also ACT, so it had to be inspected on change of owner - when the inspector saw the 'Willwood' on the calipers he just laughed and said 'show me your engineers report?' :shock: Of course, having no annual rego inspections in the ACT, the original owner hadn't done any paperwork, and the new owner was not thinking 'caveat emptor'.

He might have got away with the other changes, but the brakes couldn't be overlooked. Cue a big 'return to stock' effort - good for me as I sold him a set of NB8B brakes, from the black car IIRC!! 8) :D

I have pushed the limits in NSW, but I know a brake upgrade will be stepping over a line, and will/would require an engineer to sign off. My rego inspection place is fine with what I have done, even if some is in a rather dark shade of grey ... but I wouldn't even present it with mods like a brake upgrade (unless I could find some plain, unbranded callipers, maybe ...)

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:38 pm

Where do you add all the mod plates in an MX5?

I had my roll bar fitted by MX5Plus and got the mod plate which was attached to the coldside firewall, pretty much the ONLY place available because the plates come in a fixed size. MX5Plus had asked in the past about getting smaller mod plates to make them easier to fit in our small, cramped engine bays but they only come in one size :(

Seat mod plates are typically mounted on the chassis' door frame, next to the tyre pressure sticker but after that, there's not much room there either.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:42 pm

They're also not the get out of jail free card either. A defect can still be handed out even if everything is plated.
Cheers,
plohl

MikeVictor
Fast Driver

Postby MikeVictor » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:04 pm

plohl wrote:They're also not the get out of jail free card either. A defect can still be handed out even if everything is plated.

Assuming the mod is in good working order and not defective, how does that work? :shock:

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:23 pm

greenMachine wrote:... but I wouldn't even present it with mods like a brake upgrade (unless I could find some plain, unbranded callipers, maybe ...)

Or maybe some RX7 4 spot calipers with "Mazda" cast into them

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:45 pm

Dummies Guide to whether something which needs approval;
If it's big and major and noticeable, it will need Engineering. That's the simple way to put it.
If we're gonna start talking about this'n'that, 'what about changing this?' we may as go down the rabbit hole of long winded boring discussions which result in nothing material except; go talk to an Engineer.
Look, my understanding is that in Qld you can basically mod plate anything. Qld is the place where LS conversions get mod plated (whereas everywhere else is sensible and say No).
And yes, I've got experience with Engineering as I got my SR powered NA approved.

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 pm

Just move to NSW, get your annual rego check in Greenacre and don't worry about it. :lol:
Plenty of Silvia, Skylines and WRX examples here.

Last time I went to QLD, it looked like plenty of the same going on.
And as per above QLD is probably the easiest state to have a mod plate to legalise what you have done.

Why people want to use there modified cars as an everyday vehicle risking being nabbed over nothing is something I will never understand.
That's what your shitbox runabout is for.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:16 pm

If you are new to modifying cars. Yeah well it wouldnt be common knowledge.

The TMR website has a big pdf on what can and cannot be moded. And what is a simple mod, and what is and engineerable mod requiring a plate.

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:42 pm

Oh god, I think I am in trouble with my plastic brembo caliper covers!
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

MikeVictor
Fast Driver

Postby MikeVictor » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:12 am

bootz wrote:Oh god, I think I am in trouble with my plastic brembo caliper covers!

Nah mate, you'll be right. Just need the LG2 plate not LG1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “MX5 General Chat”