Have SPs gone down in value.

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Have SPs gone down in value.

Postby Dan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 pm

bruce wrote:
Dan wrote:On the other hand the NB coupe will appreciate as it has low production numbers and is different to any other MX5 model produced.

The NB coupe in Japan? Honestly, that is such a rare totally unknown beast (I forgot about it until you mentioned it) not many people would want it as they don't know of its existence.
People are missing the point here; it takes Supply and Demand to move prices. NB coupe would have virtually zero Demand and the same low Supply (thus stable prices). An SP would have little Supply and little Demand - thus stability, but it will never rocket in value.
Take for example the so-called Rod Millen MX5 - alledgedly little Supply but absolutely no Demand. Bit like fossilized dinosaur turds, it may be rare but no one really wants them (actually.....there could be value in that!)
I did do an Economics degree many moons ago.

Yeh, that NB coupe. They are here in Australia as well. I have seen one belonging to a NSW MX5 club member.

You really think there would be no demand if one came up for sale? Yes, people aren't generally looking for them as they aren't readily available (same as something like an Evo IX wagon) but I'm sure if you put one up for sale it would fetch good money and someone could justify a high value on an NB coupe based on its uniqueness and rarity.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:48 pm

NB coupes were sold locally by a private mob 10 years ago for quite a premium. You could maybe make your purchase price back nowadays but u ain't making a profit.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:23 pm

The NA I can definitely see as appreciating. From there on after, even as an SE owner, I just can't see it really. The NA was classic, iconic, something that stood on it's own in a world of same 'ol same 'ols. I've had my NA6, NB8A and NB SE and the NA6, even with just the 1.6, is easily the most classic and collectible feeling of all of them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:43 am

Bruce is on the money I reckon. MGB was the Mx5 starting from the 60's and a terrific car. You can fit really tall and big framed people in an MGB and good luggage space plus it's a genuine classic and readily accepted by the car club movement but MX5 is squeeze. Mx-5 - is still not part of the old car scene- you don't see them being sold at Shannon's because the value is not there and they made so many of them. If you want an Mx5 for an investment it's very unlikely to happen.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:08 pm

KevGoat wrote:The NA I can definitely see as appreciating. From there on after, even as an SE owner, I just can't see it really. The NA was classic, iconic, something that stood on it's own in a world of same 'ol same 'ols. I've had my NA6, NB8A and NB SE and the NA6, even with just the 1.6, is easily the most classic and collectible feeling of all of them.

Agree that an OEM NA6 in good condition is probably the only MX5 that will have significant collectable value.
In 10 years time I suspect you'll wish you kept your restored NA6 (you probably do already; I had a loaner NA6 for a week once and despite the lack of power compared to my modified SE, it was still a hoot to drive, getting the engine revving freely to wring the most out of it).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Lokiel wrote: I had a loaner NA6 for a week once and despite the lack of power compared to my modified SE, it was still a hoot to drive, getting the engine revving freely to wring the most out of it).

Same same. Mine was only for a day or two, it was tired example, but 'hoot' sums it up nicely. :lol:

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:21 pm

I dont think there is any evidence of an NA being or becoming a collectable. I cited the MGB as the MX-5 of the 60's- ( 70's) and its values today. Try going thru all the other British sports cars and there are only a handful that have much value like Austin Healey ( big Healeys) and E type Jags. If anyone is serious go and ask a valuer at Shannons. A Datsun 2000 sports would be probably be flat out getting $30K although I must admit Sprites can get over $30K but to get to high standards the sellers probably make little out of it or more likely losing . Porsche 911 went on an upward blast in the last 10 years but they were always exxy. MX-5 is the biggest selling sports car i.e. "high Sales" and the car is durable so in 10 years there will still be in theory plenty of them around.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:37 pm

Plus what sort of price increases are we talking about? A car worth maybe $8K today might be lucky if it really rises, be worth $16K in 10 years time. At least it started low so can't climb too much (unlike Porsches and all that).
I kinda think those who paid in the high teens for their cars today won't see any increase until a further 10 years goes pas (essentially break even).

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Lokiel wrote:In 10 years time I suspect you'll wish you kept your restored NA6 (you probably do already

Yeah, regretted it almost as soon as I sold her, but at the time I didn't appreciate what I had achieved and what I had. That said, I feel my SE is "my next step". I learned a lot from MEXIE and applied that to pre planning what I wanted from my SE. Dann's exhaust was the last piece in the puzzle to be fitted and that's nearly two years ago now and I am just loving how I built this car and how it drives. It's not a huge power car, it runs just the stock boost most of the time, but I didn't really want all that craziness (though I nearly got sidetracked many times!). What it's achieved is more like what I feel it should have been from the factory. Had they supplied what I now have, it would have rightly justified the SE with a more collectible status alongside the 1.6 NA ...

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:49 pm

KevGoat wrote:
Lokiel wrote:In 10 years time I suspect you'll wish you kept your restored NA6 (you probably do already

Yeah, regretted it almost as soon as I sold her, but at the time I didn't appreciate what I had achieved and what I had. That said, I feel my SE is "my next step". I learned a lot from MEXIE and applied that to pre planning what I wanted from my SE. Dann's exhaust was the last piece in the puzzle to be fitted and that's nearly two years ago now and I am just loving how I built this car and how it drives. It's not a huge power car, it runs just the stock boost most of the time, but I didn't really want all that craziness (though I nearly got sidetracked many times!). What it's achieved is more like what I feel it should have been from the factory. Had they supplied what I now have, it would have rightly justified the SE with a more collectible status alongside the 1.6 NA ...

I loved how you saved your NA from potentially ending up on the scrap heap.

Unfortunately the SE was castrated by Mazda at the factory, their "sports car" was the RX-7 and the the new NC model was about to be released - who'd buy an RX-7 or new NC when the SE "could have had way more power" than either of them".
When I was shopping around for an SE I was disappointed with the OEM performance after coming from a 1982 Mitsubishi JA Starion, when it started boosting you'd feel it in your chest and adrenalin would pump through your whole body (a stiffer wastegate spring was probably boosting it more than the factory intended).
The PO had fitted the FM downpipe already but it was only when I added the AEM CAI that the SE put a real smile on my face, I could actually feel the car boosting. This easily achievable ~135rwkw is what the MSM/SE SHOULD have had from the factory IMO and Mazda would have sold a lot more of them (possibly to the detriment of RX-7 and NC sales).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

lambertius
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lambertius » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:55 am

IMO, the most comparable car market wise is the Corvette. High volume, high popularity, low cost (comparatively) sports car.

I don't think the NA will be as expensive as the C1 simply because the C1 was low volume and the NA was not. Each generation will have its niche, with the oddball versions commanding a premium. The C3 vette was the most popular by far, and is now the cheapest, but the unique versions or unusual options packs will sell for higher. The NB imo is the C3 vette. It will be cheaper than the others on average, but the SP/SE/Mazdaspeed will sell for more.

I think you've got a 100 year wait though before any of the MX-5s could ask and 'real' money.

bootz
Racing Driver

Postby bootz » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm

The advantage for the punters is good availability, cheap to buy and fantastic parts availability. Just like the MGB.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

bootz
Racing Driver

Postby bootz » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 pm

Another one that I think applicable is the Volvo P1800. Prices are reasonable. Bit rare in Australia.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:07 pm

Corvettes are not comparable to MX-5. These were sold to a different target group - I dont see any comparison. MX-5 had early competition from MG but that petered out and hardly anyone remembers the mid engined car ( MG-F ) with an inferior engine to the MX5. Today Mustang has come back with a bit of sting and its a pretty expensive bit of kit but hardly what some of us would call a sports car.

MX-5 - the turbos were only niche products- Mazda and its customers did not buy MX-5 for earth shattering performance.

P1800 was super niche- you can easily pay $40k for one and very few of them about.

But MX-5 will stay around and be popular with the sports car enthusiasts- maybe it will take the place of the British sports cars as younger owners don't feel connected to the British cars. My generation owned and drove Datsun 1500 /2000 , Triumphs TRs, Sunbeams, Healeys etc and some of those fans also have an MX-5 that they use more often. Of all those it's the Healey that brings the dollars

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:40 pm

The only real similarity between a Corvette and MX5 is they have two doors. Everything else is completely different.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”