Have SPs gone down in value.

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Have SPs gone down in value.

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:03 pm

I don't think lambertius was comparing the actual physical cars between the MX-5 and the Corvette. He was comparing the behaviour of the market towards them.

I agree that the MX-5 will never command serious money. Probably never reach above it's original asking price, even for the super rare special ones. There are just far too many of them made, but luckily that means people can enjoy reasonably priced fun for generations to come.

The Zork
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby The Zork » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:36 pm

I get it Lachy. But. In time, many cars are off the road, too many kilometres, too much rust, many write offs, crashes etc.
So, a desirable car for a generation become ''valuable because it is ''rare''. Low mileage, very good original paintwork, close to original spec. Well looked after, history of service etc. The older the car, the more a good one is worth. Just look at RX3's. Too many in the wall, not many still around.

lambertius
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lambertius » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:30 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:I don't think lambertius was comparing the actual physical cars between the MX-5 and the Corvette. He was comparing the behaviour of the market towards them.

I agree that the MX-5 will never command serious money. Probably never reach above it's original asking price, even for the super rare special ones. There are just far too many of them made, but luckily that means people can enjoy reasonably priced fun for generations to come.

If you dig around on any Vette forum you'll find this exact same conversation happening. The C1/C2 vettes are too rare, but once the C3 came in it had a mass market appeal. Its taken 50 years for them to have any collectability and its only the 68-72 cars even though they ran well into the 80s. I was just using it as example of a high availability car with a specific niche for a collectable one. Another example would be the difference in price between RX-7s and the Spirit-R Type A, or the E46 M3 and the CSL. Higher volume cars will stay low, and over time the oddballs with only slight differences command a premium. For the NB MX-5 that will eventually happen, but because its production numbers are comparable to the C3 Vette it will be a 50 year wait. And if not, who cares? It is pretty weak when real enthusiasts are priced out by collectors.

Boyracer
MX-5 Encyclopedia
Vehicle: NC

Postby Boyracer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Only 2 SP on Carsales, $21k and $43k :shock:
NC Roadie, NC Racey, ND Racey….and a 30AE

Plus several others in the bone yard...

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:38 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:I agree that the MX-5 will never command serious money. Probably never reach above it's original asking price, even for the super rare special ones.

As an example my NA8 was priced at $43,000 new in'95. Its going to be a very long time before it reaches that price again.
’95 NA8

aka_juffa
Racing Driver

Postby aka_juffa » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:14 pm

Boyracer wrote:Only 2 SP on Carsales, $21k and $43k :shock:

Yes, but the owner off the $43k version is saying itvhas been rebuilt as a labor of passion

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... AD-6746569
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:43 pm

Even humble good condition lowish km NB8B's seem to be being priced higher if you are to believe carsales advert listings. Of course we don't know what they actually sell for.

Daz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Daz » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:37 pm

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... D-19100660

Well now the only options are 43 and 53k :)

By the way anyone that wants to spend 50k on an SP is welcome at my place and mine has half the km of that one !
Silver SP - PSS9, 1:10:58

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:19 pm

I am going to start to make my own SPs. It would be so easy to fake. Or maybe buy a totally wrecked one and rebirth it.....wink, wink, I reckon it's been done already.
I think those prices are a bit optimistic, like some of the mobile numbers I sell! Let 'em be, reality is a great teacher.

Daz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Daz » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:16 pm

bruce wrote:I am going to start to make my own SPs. It would be so easy to fake. Or maybe buy a totally wrecked one and rebirth it.....wink, wink, I reckon it's been done already.

It probably has been done and at 20k, I reckon it would be possible to sell a fake SP, but would it be worth it ? There are actually 150 parts you have to find according to the original SP press releases, I am assuming they counted the hose clamps ! But here is the killer.... Mazda knows the VINs of all the SP's and they can be verified through customer service. I imagine anyone willing to part with 50k for one would know that.
Silver SP - PSS9, 1:10:58

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:03 am

Daz wrote:Well now the only options are 43 and 53k

$43k WA one has been for sale on & off for a couple of years.

Boyracer
MX-5 Encyclopedia

Postby Boyracer » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:40 am

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:15 am

new levels of ridiculous have arrived with P platers thinking that they can sink $35K on an NA6 get every cent back :lol: anyway and even the paint job on it seems substandard. Nor do they talk about engineering so assumption is the turbo hasn't been engineered. Give me that $54K SP any day. It seems spotless.

I think if that's the case Feeninx could be worth 22K in its current state :roll: :lol:
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Boyracer
MX-5 Encyclopedia

Postby Boyracer » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:24 am

Mazda Australia is happy to provide proof that a car was sold as a genuine SP.

aka_juffa
Racing Driver

Postby aka_juffa » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:52 pm

Boyracer wrote:https://classicthrottleshop.com/2001-mazda-mx-5-sp/

The pretty pictures come at a cost, and that particular SP has cruise control (WTF).

J
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”