Have SPs gone down in value.

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

bigdog
King of the kennel
Vehicle: NB SP

Re: Have SPs gone down in value.

Postby bigdog » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:41 pm

aka_juffa wrote:
Boyracer wrote:https://classicthrottleshop.com/2001-mazda-mx-5-sp/

The pretty pictures come at a cost, and that particular SP has cruise control (WTF).

J

Mine had cruise too, as did several others. They were dealer fitted options. Mine worked great, but I recall others not having enough vacuum to get it working properly.
Marvin - '02 Silver SP - BD, PSS9, Guru, Build #62 Cardomain

Daz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:53 pm

Well the 50K SP is listed as sold.... wonder what the discount was !

https://classicthrottleshop.com/2001-mazda-mx-5-sp/
Silver SP - PSS9, 1:10:58

lambertius
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lambertius » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:44 am

93_Clubman wrote:
Daz wrote:Well now the only options are 43 and 53k

$43k WA one has been for sale on & off for a couple of years.

This isn't true. I know the owner and this is the only time they've listed it for sale and the last owner had it since 2003. They've had offers but haven't taken any. They have the car listed at what the would sell it for, but they still use it regularly. It is kind of listed as a 'well if someone pays this much I'll start another project' price.

I also called Classic Throttle Shop and asked if the SP they had listed sold or was just taken off consignment. The car was sold, and I asked if they could tell me how much. I'll quote directly"

"We don't normally disclose how much we sell cars for, but it was very close to the asking price"

Before they sold it, the car was listed for $49k. I believe they would've paid ~$45k for it in that case.

lambertius
Driver

Postby lambertius » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:51 am

For context in case that link goes down in the future - that SP had 74 000km, it also had all the intake piping replaced with silicone instead of the original cast pieces, but otherwise had all the original parts and service history.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:48 pm

And you believe a car dealer? That line would be used for EVERY car sold or not sold. It makes them and the seller look better and creates the illusion of 'value'.

lambertius
Driver

Postby lambertius » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:25 pm

bruce wrote:And you believe a car dealer? That line would be used for EVERY car sold or not sold. It makes them and the seller look better and creates the illusion of 'value'.

Sure that is possible too. I'm just quoting what they said. I've seen the offers on the other car, so I believe it is possible.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Look, if crappy old NAs are worth $10k it means SPs must be worth something. Just proves that old cars are overpriced and I won't be buying.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:17 pm

any car is worth the price anyone is willing to pay for....similar to real estate. and that may change from week to week.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:51 am

lambertius wrote:
93_Clubman wrote:$43k WA one has been for sale on & off for a couple of years.

This isn't true. I know the owner and this is the only time they've listed it for sale and the last owner had it since 2003. They've had offers but haven't taken any. They have the car listed at what the would sell it for, but they still use it regularly. It is kind of listed as a 'well if someone pays this much I'll start another project' price.

Was actually giving them the benefit of the doubt - must have been the same ad all along then.
Last edited by 93_Clubman on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

lambertius
Driver

Postby lambertius » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:58 am

93_Clubman wrote:
lambertius wrote:
93_Clubman wrote:
Daz wrote:Well now the only options are 43 and 53k

$43k WA one has been for sale on & off for a couple of years.

Was actually giving them the benefit of the doubt - must have been the same ad all along then.

The car has been listed since June. Last time it was listed was in 2017. Before that it was new.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:01 am

Well I know what I saw & you know what they've advised you.

lambertius
Driver

Postby lambertius » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:51 am

93_Clubman wrote:Well I know what I saw & you know what they've advised you.

I put the advert up my man :roll:

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:19 am

Wow - Obi-Wan - Welcome! :mrgreen:

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:30 pm

The reason why they don't sell - there is no demand. Only us idiots know what they are and we aren't that silly to pay those amounts. There occasionally is one dill who will fork out and that is when they sell.
An occasional sale of an SP and only us fools will look up from our breakfast cereal. Say 'Brock Commodore' and ;Barn Find' and all the super-rich bogans get clammy in their King Gee's.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:53 pm

I guess it has always been this way with any product really.
Reference: "The Castle".
Even in the pre-eBay days when you could only advertise in the newspaper, you would see the occasional ad for something at 100% over the rest, and you'd' think "Tell him he's dreaming".
We scour the real estate ads and every now and then there will be a house that is listed for at least 50% more than everybody else in it's category. Does anybody buy at that price? Sometimes. Other times you check later and see that it has just been taken off the market. They were just fishing.
There are the other folks who have convinced themselves their house/car/boat/knick-nack is worth some exorbitant amount and everyone else is just trying to steal it off them. I try not to be one of these.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”