CAI identification

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

The Zork
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

CAI identification

Postby The Zork » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Thanks in advance to the Brain Trust. The CAI unit was on the car when I bought it.
Could anyone tell me about it. It is cast aluminium with carbon fibre air box located in the wheel well. On it it says ''SP Motorsport''.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: CAI identification

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:30 am

The Zork wrote:SP Motorsport

This was the name used by a workshop in Ingleburn NSW some years ago who offered various turbo upgrades, as well as ECUs, CAIs & exhaust systems etc. They had a good rep for high end products & have been mentioned on here a while ago, but the posts might not still be around.
IIRC, they might have originated from the team, or some of the team, that developed the MX5 SP. They also had a website, but it appears from a quick look to be gone - perhaps the Wayback Machine might have it stored in its internet archives.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Where does the filter enclosure draw its air from? Foglight hole? Radiator plenum?

I wouldn't like to think it drew from the wheel well. too much dirt, spray etc floating around there for my taste ...

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:04 pm

93_Clubman wrote:
The Zork wrote:SP Motorsport

This was the name used by a workshop in Ingleburn NSW some years ago who offered various turbo upgrades, as well as ECUs, CAIs & exhaust systems etc. They had a good rep for high end products & have been mentioned on here a while ago, but the posts might not still be around.
IIRC, they might have originated from the team, or some of the team, that developed the MX5 SP. They also had a website, but it appears from a quick look to be gone - perhaps the Wayback Machine might have it stored in its internet archives.

There WAS a local Aussie company that produced (or possibly just marketed) a quality+expensive aftermarket CAI kit and stainless steel exhaust system for the SE but I can't find them any more on the web using various keywords.
Their CAI hit used carbon fibre components and mounted it the location shown in the first post.
Anyone else remember this site?
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:58 pm

I too vaguely remember it. It looks like a bit of quality and expensive kit.
My CAI is the same thru the front inner guard. Previous owner left the pod exposed to all the sand and water. I fitted a plastic flower pot over it (opening faces back of bumper) and the pod has remained clean.

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:20 am

greenMachine wrote:Where does the filter enclosure draw its air from? Foglight hole? Radiator plenum?

I wouldn't like to think it drew from the wheel well. too much dirt, spray etc floating around there for my taste ...

The carbon fiber housing has an inlet trumpet taking air from in front of the radiator. Seems to be a good set up but it still seems to get some dirt coming in. I guess the air inlet is pretty low. When I took the IHI turbo off, the compressor wheel showed evidence of particle damage and the airbox had sand in it. I'll keep it but service the air filter more often.

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:27 am

93_Clubman wrote:This was the name used by a workshop in Ingleburn NSW some years ago who offered various turbo upgrades, as well as ECUs, CAIs & exhaust systems etc. They had a good rep for high end products & have been mentioned on here a while ago, but the posts might not still be around.

Are you thinking of SMB (Secret Men's Business )? When I bought the car, they were still around and had a website, now gone.

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:37 am

Lokiel wrote:There WAS a local Aussie company that produced (or possibly just marketed) a quality+expensive aftermarket CAI kit and stainless steel exhaust system for the SE but I can't find them any more on the web using various keywords.
Their CAI hit used carbon fibre components and mounted it the location shown.

It certainly looks expensive and well designed. The cast alloy was about 5mm thick when I tapped into it. Also, the 2.5 inch stainless exhaust is by SMB.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 am

The Zork wrote:
greenMachine wrote:Where does the filter enclosure draw its air from? Foglight hole? Radiator plenum?

The carbon fiber housing has an inlet trumpet taking air from in front of the radiator. Seems to be a good set up but it still seems to get some dirt coming in. I guess the air inlet is pretty low. When I took the IHI turbo off, the compressor wheel showed evidence of particle damage and the airbox had sand in it. I'll keep it but service the air filter more often.

Thanks for that.

I wouldn't be too worried about crap in the airbox, but it would make me focus more closely on the quality and fit of the filter, and maybe service it more often.

I wonder what the longer inlet tract does to the airflow? Probably good for top end, when the column is moving fast, but on balance I think I prefer a shorter path.

Academic now, unless someone gets inspired and wants to offer copies ... ?

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 am

greenMachine wrote:
I wonder what the longer inlet tract does to the airflow? Probably good for top end, when the column is moving fast, but on balance I think I prefer a shorter path.

Interesting perspective. I wonder what others think. When restrictors were first required on turbo motors in IPRA, competitors introduced a large airbox reservoir between the turbo and the restrictor to provide instant air for quicker spool up. Cams then changed the rules and moved the restrictors to no more than 50mm from the compressor wheel.
In the instance of path length/restrictions, the air filter may be considered a restrictor ? (other than the surface friction of the inlet tract) and a long and wide pipe, an airbox.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:13 am

The Zork wrote:
93_Clubman wrote:This was the name used by a workshop in Ingleburn NSW some years ago who offered various turbo upgrades, as well as ECUs, CAIs & exhaust systems etc. They had a good rep for high end products & have been mentioned on here a while ago, but the posts might not still be around.

Are you thinking of SMB? When I bought the car, they were still around and had a website, now gone.

Nah, remember them also - both SP Motorsport & SMB were at 11 Aero Rd Ingleburn, but one in factory 1 & the other in factory 3. Both supplied parts of the MX5 SP turbo/exhaust system:
http://www.mx5cartalk.com/SP_SE_Comparison/

The Zork
Fast Driver

Postby The Zork » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:34 pm

93_Clubman wrote:Nah, remember them also - both SP Motorsport & SMB were at 11 Aero Rd Ingleburn, but one in factory 1 & the other in factory 3. Both supplied parts of the MX5 SP turbo/exhaust system:

Good information. Thanks for that. I had forgotten, but now I remember seeing on the SMB website 3 or 4 years ago, that they were offering for sale the SP Motorsport CAI kit as an SMB upgrade for the SE. Now it make more sense. I wonder what happened to the people of both businesses and if they are still around?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:57 pm

The Zork wrote:wonder what happened to the people of both businesses and if they are still around?

http://www.performanceweaponry.com/aboutus.html
http://www.performanceweaponry.com/partners.html

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:07 pm

The Zork wrote:
Lokiel wrote:There WAS a local Aussie company that produced (or possibly just marketed) a quality+expensive aftermarket CAI kit and stainless steel exhaust system for the SE but I can't find them any more on the web using various keywords.
Their CAI hit used carbon fibre components and mounted it the location shown.

It certainly looks expensive and well designed. The cast alloy was about 5mm thick when I tapped into it. Also, the 2.5 inch stainless exhaust is by SMB.

Yes, SMB was the company I was thinking of!
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

mx589
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby mx589 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Ive had a smb se exhaust before very nice bit of gear
Ive seen their old web site with this intake but never seen one on a car
very nice bit of gear you got there mate

Return to “MX5 General Chat”