NC heel and toe issues

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Blesif
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

NC heel and toe issues

Postby Blesif » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:22 pm

I took my new to me NC to the track recently and discovered that I could not articulate my foot enough to heel and toe. Couldn't do it off the side of the boot either. No problem in my NB, the Suzuki GTi or my MG (long gone). Talked to two other NC drivers who both said it was an issue for them as well.
Is there a rod for winding down the brake pedal to get a better brake throttle relationship? There are cars where you can do this but unsure re MX5s. Alternatively I see that Mania sell a throttle pedal extension that claims to resolve the issue. It is slightly longer. Has anyone experience with this mod and were they happy? Neil

Engineer
Driver
Vehicle: NB - V8

Re: NC heel and toe issues

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi,

Common issue on many cars, as the throttle is too low for heal and toe (well for people with normal sized feet anyway!).

The pedal extensions can work, but to me they look ugly.

I am unsure of the NC accelerator pedal rod material, but if its metal you can carefully bend it to the right position. I have done this on other cars that needed a slight adjustment. The accelerator rod is reasonably flexible.

Yes, I can attest to the NB having a decent pedal position setup for heel and toe.

Cheers,

Engineer
Driver
Vehicle: NB - V8

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi,

Common issue on many cars, as the throttle is too low for heal and toe (well for people with normal sized feet anyway!).

The pedal extensions can work, but to me they look ugly.

I am unsure of the NC accelerator pedal rod material, but if its metal you can carefully bend it to the right position. I have done this on other cars that needed a slight adjustment. The accelerator rod is reasonably flexible so you can pull it up towards your feet to get it more level to the brake pedal.

Yes, I can attest to the NB having a decent pedal position setup for heel and toe.

Cheers,

Snowmotion
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Snowmotion » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 pm

It is a plastic pedal so no reshaping it.

I would agree it is not easy to heel toe. I have fitted the Drilled Pedal kit and this makes it a little easier.
On track I am more focused on braking than I am on heel toe.
NB8A| WP 1:15.6 | SMP-S 1:08.56 | SMP-N 1:21.35
NC1| WP 1:09.42 | SMP-S 1:03.191 | SMP-N 1:16.1856 | SMP-GP 1:48.288

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:12 am

I’m no expert on NCs but I’ve heard of BBR including auto blip in their tuning packages. I wonder if you could get that emailed to you?
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Dan
Racing Driver

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:16 pm

davekmoore wrote:I’m no expert on NCs but I’ve heard of BBR including auto blip in their tuning packages. I wonder if you could get that emailed to you?

It's a feature that can be enabled on any NC Ecutek tune. I have it on my NC2 with a seperate map without it so I can choose to have it on or off.

It works extremelly well and does a perfect blip every time, but it also takes something away from the driving experience.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:54 am

I've disabled the auto blip on my BBR because it blips the throttle while I'm still in the higher gear and haven't touched the clutch. This lurches the car forward, fights against the brakes, and upsets the electronic aids (only on because it was a seriously wet day).

I still need to find a fix for heel and toeing. I've heard about putting spacers in the bulkhead bolts .....
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Return to “MX5 General Chat”