Transport companies. Any personal experience?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

and1
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Transport companies. Any personal experience?

Postby and1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here.

My car is still in Perth and I'm wanting to bring it over to NSW. Obviously with the way the world is currently I can't just fly over and drive it back here.

Has anyone had experience moving a car across states? I haven't had too much luck so far as my car is lowered and most trucks cant only accept the vehicle if its ground clearance is over 150mm.

Only quote I've been able to get so far is 3k :shock:

Any help would be appreciated!
2005 Velocity Red MX-5 SE
Garage thread
http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=44487

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Re: Transport companies. Any personal experience?

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:11 pm

I bought an NA from Melbourne recently. It came up via CEVA to my door for ~$750. Would have been cheaper to the depot, but it was unregistered so I paid the extra. The service was fine, communication was great and there was tracking online.

This was a stock car though, so clearance wasn't an issue. Can you raise the clearance by adjusting the coilovers to max height?

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:24 pm

Had a standard ND come from Perth to my door in Sydney. Was under $1000 straight from the dealer over there.
Sent a Renault Clio RS the other way round as well. Dropped it off at my closest depot.
CEVA for both jobs.

Ground clearance...
My MX-5 is significantly lower than my everyday Pug hatchback, but it easily clears the driveway that the Pug does not up front because of the overhang.
I'm pretty sure that Pug would have been on transport trucks at some point in its life.
The problem with the MX-5 may be the rear. Depends how low your exhaust tip is.

The lowest part of a MX-5 is the under body. Mine only has 80mm or so.
This would affect the ramp over angle. Or for me those bloody short rubber speed bumps.
Not sure if this affects loading on a truck or train carriage.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:59 am

+3 for CEVA - brought down a car from Brisbane to Melb door to door for under $1k. Last car brought over from Perth to Melb cost under $1k depot to depot - it had 100mm ground clearance.

and1
Fast Driver

Postby and1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:30 pm

For completion. I ended up getting my car over to Sydney using CEVA as others have. I raised my coilovers to give me the most clearance. So I didn't have any issues getting onto a regular truck.
2005 Velocity Red MX-5 SE
Garage thread
http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=44487

Snowmotion
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Snowmotion » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:44 pm

I had a car shipped from Melbourne to my house in West Ryde and the service was good and communication also good.
The only problem being that they lost 2 keys for the car will not take responsibility for the problem.
I know the dealer sent 3 keys as he sent photos of them in the car by CEVA claim only 1 key was sent with the car and their paper work had only 1 key listed with the car.
This happened because the pick up driver asks you to send the paper work on a PDA but they do not show you what is listed on that document.

Watch the details and they should be OK.
NB8A| WP 1:15.6 | SMP-S 1:08.56 | SMP-N 1:21.35
NC1| WP 1:09.42 | SMP-S 1:03.191 | SMP-N 1:16.1856 | SMP-GP 1:48.288

Return to “MX5 General Chat”