Muffler Costs

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

madmort
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Muffler Costs

Postby madmort » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Just checking before I purchase a GWR Roadstersport 11 muffler made in the USA for my new to me NC ! Am I insane to spend north of $800 bucks or is that a reasonable price to pay for a sports car sound. I honestly have no idea. Just interested in what others think a good note is worth these days..

Cheers

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Muffler Costs

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:47 pm

Given Town & Country Exhausts are local to you, worth checking with them if you haven't already, as they have specifically developed exhaust systems for NA, NB & NC over a number of years, & have a very good rep in the MX5 community.

AndyT
Driver

Postby AndyT » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:10 pm

IMO I think the Roadster Sport gear is super pricey, but I am a self confessed tight arse. That said, I did pick one up second hand for $450 which was a great deal. Take nothing away from the product, we are paying for R&D, exchange rate and freight

I would be inclined to purchase the GWR header instead as $ for $ it is bang for buck compared to the rear muffler, should unock some growl and some more power.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:08 pm

At least the Aussie dollar is much better nowadays.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:40 pm

I recently had a couple of new mufflers fitted in the dual-system on the Mazda 6.
They were nothing special - cost $400. all up - and the Muffler shop was just a locally-owned outfit.
Since this, several friends (admittedly car nuts) have said that they like the new slightly sportier sound.
It IS definitely a bit more prominent but not so you get tired of trying to talk above it, or annoyed with it on a trip.
My point is that you do not need to spend big money on a muffler to get a sporty note consistent with a sports car.
Clubman's advice sounds good to me and I would also suggest that most Muffler shops would know where you are coming from and be able to recommend a reasonably-priced solution.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

taminga16
Speed Racer

Postby taminga16 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:51 pm

Mort,
I am with Clubman as well, Town and Country make some nice stuff.
Greg.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:56 pm

The first thing I bought for our MX-5 NC ( 2018) was a Goodwin sports muffler. Purchased from an agent in Sydney. I checked with T&C - they use the same muffler as NB but its a different set up-the NC has 2 outlets ie 1 in 2 out and a design engineer I know said I would be better buying the Goodwin unit. It has a removable baffle but I find that removing it is the way to go - its not too noisy- way better than stock which frankly has a very ordinary note . No regrets it is a quality product - anything under $1000 is what you would expect to pay. The Sydney source had stock and I got fast delivery.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:44 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:The first thing I bought for our MX-5 NC (2018) was a Goodwin sports muffler. Purchased from an agent in Sydney.

Sounds like these folks: https://www.mx5parts.com.au/

madmort
Fast Driver

Postby madmort » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks for the replies, I pulled the trigger on a GWR Roadstersport 11 and think it will be everything I'd want in an exhaust without playing with headers and midpipes. I'm not after a couple of horsepower just a nice sportscar type sound. Stock, I think I can hear the clock over the exhaust.

madmort
Fast Driver

Postby madmort » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:10 pm

Rocky wrote:I recently had a couple of new mufflers fitted in the dual-system on the Mazda 6.
They were nothing special - cost $400. all up - and the Muffler shop was just a locally-owned outfit.
Since this, several friends (admittedly car nuts) have said that they like the new slightly sportier sound.
It IS definitely a bit more prominent but not so you get tired of trying to talk above it, or annoyed with it on a trip.
My point is that you do not need to spend big money on a muffler to get a sporty note consistent with a sports car.
Clubman's advice sounds good to me and I would also suggest that most Muffler shops would know where you are coming from and be able to recommend a reasonably-priced solution.

Rocky, I had a cheap exhaust setup previously and it sounded OK, but every time I ventured low on the car and I saw it, it looked like a dogs breakfast, was rusting and if I could weld at all I would not have fitted anything like it.
Now I have coming a nice shiny new polished stainless setup I can look at without cringing and appreciate the sound as well. Money well spent. Thanks for your thoughts

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:53 am

Yes 93 is correct. Its worth the burble and a quality product. I took the same approach- no messing around - it bolts on and can easily bolt off.

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:55 am

I 100% agree some of the these exhaust bits are pricey.
The biggest problem for the price in AUS is freight.
Just be glad we are not paying the prices people pay for a Euro Car with a Remus or Akrapovic.
Same goes for other Japanese sports cars that get items from HKS, Cusco etc.
You could be up for 3 to 4K just for a Catback system!!!

Comparatively the quality stuff available for the MX-5 in Stainless and even Titanium is cheap.
I have a Goodwin Super Q on my NC as well as Tomei Expreme Headers. Stock midpipe as that is pretty good from factory.
Came with the car.
I find from inside of the car having the baffles in or out makes little difference.
Only seems to make it more quiet on the outside.
I should borrow the sound meter from work to really confirm that.
Also noted that system has seemed to have gotten louder after tracking it for a whole year. Never had a car that this has not happened to.

I have gone cheap before on my AU XR6 VCT Falcon.
I cannot remember the brand(remember it being more of a 4WD brand) but it was a full Painted Mild Steel system to replace the rotten rusted out factory unit that had many patches done to it. BTW the AU XR6 VCT had a Helmholtz Chamber system from factory!!!
Was something like $450-$500 installed or so.
I kept breaking the midpipe hanger rubber one a year as the mount was not in the correct spot, a good 5cm out. Was putting stress on the rubber.
Eventually the Pipe pulled out of the Muffler before the diff for the same reason.
Had rusted in that spot in 3 years.
Luckily there was enough metal there for a bloke with sunnies, a ciggie and welder to join it back together.
So you do get what you pay for.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

madmort
Fast Driver

Postby madmort » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:55 pm

Had the Roadster sport 11 fitted today. Glad I did not attempt it myself. Took some time to loosen existing nuts and then hanging took some time also, all on a hoist.
Result? Could not be happier, Sounds awesome with the baffles out, not too loud at all. Waiting for it to break in for even better results.
Shout out to Peter, great to see you. And Colin at T&C exhausts Geelong was awesome as usual with info and tips

Cheers.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”