NA/B owners see this if you'd like to avoid an overheat

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

NA/B owners see this if you'd like to avoid an overheat

Postby davekmoore » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 pm

If you don't know when your water pump was last changed, do it now along with a timing belt and the ancillaries that go with the. Because the pumps can be like my one in the picture, even if they're not noisy, if the car is not overheating, if they're not leaking, and if the engine isn't using any water. The only clue you'll get is the heater only blowing lukewarm air. By all means try the other methods of improving the heater first, as they'll be cheaper.

IMG_2848 - Copy.JPG

This from a '93 1.6 S-special with an alleged 157k kms, which the seller described as very well maintained, and my local garage promised me they'd fixed the lukewarm heater the day before. The heater was still lukewarm the next day. So both the seller and my (ex) garage lied. I caught the overheat before it did the engine, but not before it blew the head gasket.

What happens is, (I know now) assuming the car is used relatively gently, the hot water in the cooling system rises and the cool water drops, creating some circulation and some cooling, but no pressure, which is what is needed to reach the heater. This is called thermo syphoning. It seems it can't cope with 2.5 hours of motorway driving.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: NA/B owners see this if you'd like to avoid an overheat

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:08 am

Interesting Dave - can't recall hearing this, but certainly worth being aware of.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: NA/B owners see this if you'd like to avoid an overheat

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:16 pm

If this was common it would have been highlighted much earlier. People who do their timing belts would've noticed missing/damaged blades if they swapped the pumps.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”