Europe Zero emission from cars & vans by 2035

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Europe Zero emission from cars & vans by 2035

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:36 pm

Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:28 am

rascal wrote:If that guy in QLD would instead pay me the $30k to convert my car to run on electricity I still wouldn’t do it.

Until charging times come down massively, electric cars are only feasible for a very small sector of the public and a joke for the rest.

I suspect ‘swap and go’ could be a possibility that addresses the charging time problem

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Would need a huge amount of infrastructure investment and improvements in metro, country and outback charging facilities before I'd consider it - oh, and more reasonable prices! I have talked to some people on caravan parks who were travelling in EV's and they say how much they are limited in places to go while ensuring they carefully map out their routes where they can charge along the trip (talking in SA here, don't know if better/worse elsewhere). They also mentioned the problems of vastly differing distances per charge depending on speeds, road and weather conditions. One said they can achieve about 340-360kms (according to the dash as he wasn't willing to test it too far!) in perfect conditions or get as low as 150kms if strong winds etc. This was a Lexus SUV - don't know the model but apparently around $90k he paid!!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:32 pm

Think about all the european countries which have banned petrol car sales in the near future.
$90K for any Lexus is not a lot nowadays.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:27 am

KevGoat wrote:Would need a huge amount of infrastructure investment and improvements in metro, country and outback charging facilities before I'd consider it - oh, and more reasonable prices! I have talked to some people on caravan parks who were travelling in EV's and they say how much they are limited in places to go while ensuring they carefully map out their routes where they can charge along the trip (talking in SA here, don't know if better/worse elsewhere). They also mentioned the problems of vastly differing distances per charge depending on speeds, road and weather conditions. One said they can achieve about 340-360kms (according to the dash as he wasn't willing to test it too far!) in perfect conditions or get as low as 150kms if strong winds etc. This was a Lexus SUV - don't know the model but apparently around $90k he paid!!

Completely agree. Now that ScoMo has agreed electric is the future , Id expect infrastructure to be built..... It mayt take some time. Also I checked on a EV conversion for F33nix.....$47 K. Once EV conversions come down in 5-10 years ..... that's the next big project.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:45 am

EV conversions and mods will be the big "street" thing in a decade or so. Prices will drop naturally as more kits are produced, more conversion businesses pop up and fully packaged diy conversions become available. It's actually quite an exciting prospect, just not sure it'll happen soon enough for me to be a participant....

Danny
Fast Driver

Postby Danny » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:27 pm

The transition from ICE to EV could be as quick as this:

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/5th- ... ?r=US&IR=T

Return to “MX5 General Chat”