Let's chat - tell us about your most recent drive

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Let's chat - tell us about your most recent drive

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:17 am

It's too quiet in here, let's get some conversation going! Tell us about your most recent drive in your MX-5, whether it was a track day, a mountain run, a trip to the shops, or a test run around the block after some maintenance.

Two weekends ago I went for a drive up Mount Glorious with my girlfriend on a Sunday afternoon. It was relatively cool for February and we had a great drive. The roads were surprisingly quiet up there, and I got to give the car a good blast up hill at the start of the run, getting some good heal and toe down shifts in and making glorious turbo noises :mrgreen: (I'm very lucky that she doesn't mind me getting a little rowdy!) Then with the top down we just cruised nicely amongst the trees enjoying nature. A great way to close out the weekend!

:NB8B:

taminga16
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Let's chat - tell us about your most recent drive

Postby taminga16 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:52 pm

I drove mine yesterday and after a fuel stop (half tank) I realised that the last time that I purchased fuel was on Nov 3rd 21 so it was time for a drive, Castlemaine to Maldon via Fogartys Gap Road on to Newstead through Moolort and Joyces Creek Rds and the to Hepburn and Daylesford across to Guildford with a stop at Mt Franklin (an extinct volcano where one can drive into the caldera) and then on Chewton in the Fryers Ridge State Park. I will take my camera next time.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:00 pm

That sounds like a good drive! And you only went out for fuel :mrgreen:

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Jeo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:00 pm

I drove it to the end of the driveway and let it idle for 10~15 last weekend...

Rego expired a few days into the Canberra lockdown and with all events cancelled I hadn't seen the point in renewing it. First event for the year is at the end of the month so will need to give it a service before then.

taminga16
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby taminga16 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:42 am

ManiacLachy wrote:That sounds like a good drive! And you only went out for fuel :mrgreen:

A lazy 120 klms. Brilliant. :)
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:48 am

Jeo wrote:I drove it to the end of the driveway and let it idle for 10~15 last weekend...

Rego expired a few days into the Canberra lockdown and with all events cancelled I hadn't seen the point in renewing it. First event for the year is at the end of the month so will need to give it a service before then.

We didn't have crazy lock down here, but even still I am guilty of going and sitting in the car, gripping the wheel and rowing the gears :mrgreen:

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:45 am

After recently giving the head a refresh on F33nix with go fast bits it was time to test reliability. We drove to Merimbula via the princess Hwy along the coast. On the way back we decided to go home via the Alpine road through Cooma & Canberra .
Roadtrip Jan 2022.jpg

What an awesome drive . It was early in the morning , foggy and just gorgeous. gave it some stick here & there but drove to conditions . It was really foggy in some places.

This coming weekend I'm driving to Brisbane . To pick up a Mazspeed Type F seat. Id love to visit Daff & Lachlan but will not have enough time . so next time guys
This trip will be 1900 km in total in 2 days. if all goes well. It proves how easy it is to get these old NA's reliable after major engine surgery & heaps of mods. Merimbula trip was around 1000 km in a weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:58 pm

What hope does this forum have if out of 88 views only 3 people can respond to what has to be the most inclusive topic I can think of?

Stan, I will try to catch you when you come up, even if it's just for a quick coffee and a chat before you keep going on your way. 1900km in 2 days is a lot of seat time! I assume this isn't a F33nix trip though? One day I'll see and hear that red beast!

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:45 pm

I drove to work and back, it was night time and Sydney traffic.... :|
Now school holidays are over I'm just waiting for the right day when it isn't raining. :roll:

Doing something different today, unrelated to MX5s, but still vehicle orientated... So of course it's expensive... :mrgreen:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:27 am

Nevyn72 wrote:Doing something different today, unrelated to MX5s, but still vehicle orientated... So of course it's expensive... :mrgreen:

Yep, that was expensive, and it's definitely not an MX5! :shock:

A bit of a change from the Subaru Impreza. :mrgreen:

"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

yertimer
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby yertimer » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:05 am

ManiacLachy wrote:What hope does this forum have if out of 88 views only 3 people can respond to what has to be the most inclusive topic I can think of?

Maybe a combination of lockdowns, restrictions, omicron reducing travel, and diminishing patronage of the forum? All a bit sad really.

I have been just doing local trips around Sydney's northern beaches. Plenty of good scenery, good roads and good weather in between showers. But traffic is gradually coming back around here so you have to pick your times to drive.

Stan are you on the northern beaches too?

Nice ride Nevyn - that should be a decent tourer.
NA8 94 Clubman

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:42 pm

I recently started visiting another forum (HDT related) which actually uses the same software as this one (so looks the same). They average 1 post per week (and most of those have been mine). They are deader than their idol. This place in comparison is actually lively.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:44 pm

Nevyn72 wrote:
Nevyn72 wrote:Doing something different today, unrelated to MX5s, but still vehicle orientated... So of course it's expensive... :mrgreen:

Yep, that was expensive, and it's definitely not an MX5! :shock:

A bit of a change from the Subaru Impreza. :mrgreen:

Congratulations on the new rig! A good antithesis to the MX-5, each have their strengths which are opposite to the other.

yertimer wrote:Maybe a combination of lockdowns, restrictions, omicron reducing travel, and diminishing patronage of the forum? All a bit sad really.

I have been just doing local trips around Sydney's northern beaches. Plenty of good scenery, good roads and good weather in between showers. But traffic is gradually coming back around here so you have to pick your times to drive.

Usage was dropping long before covid, but if we don't make an effort to chat then the death only speeds up. Some topics can be a bit hard to contribute to, like specially technical, or niche topics. I know it's easy to lurk in the background, but this forum can't survive if we just lurk, and I was hoping this topic would be easy for people to contribute to, and split off new discussions, which is happening to an extent - I was probably a little impatient.

But to anyone reading this, click the Post Reply button and say something :mrgreen:

bruce wrote:I recently started visiting another forum (HDT related) which actually uses the same software as this one (so looks the same). They average 1 post per week (and most of those have been mine). They are deader than their idol. This place in comparison is actually lively.

For sure it's not just here, FB is so much easier for people to use. But we still have users, we just need to get them posting a little more!

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:47 pm

So I got my MX-5 out today, and went to meet Stefan and his partner for a coffee before they blew through town again. And F33nix was there! She's a rorty little beast! No epic drive, just from one parking lot to another for a coffee, a beer and a chat.

It was great to catch up, however briefly. And any excuse to go for a little drive in the car is worth taking. I even managed to drop the roof without getting rained on! (It's been intermittent downpours here today)

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:42 pm

Washed all the dust and dirt off mine today. Took it for a drive around town. You rarely see any old 5s on the road anymore.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”