Let's chat - tell us about your most recent drive

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Let's chat - tell us about your most recent drive

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed May 04, 2022 9:26 am

KevGoat wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote:I really need to see about my SE's AC!

The big negative of MX-5's. Mine is "OK", but if parked for a while in heat, it takes a while to cool back down, and in stop start traffic becomes only just bearable and I reckon my aircon is as good as these get. Don't know how much better the ND's are, but by comparison to mine my wife's basic Echo is phenomenal no matter how hot the weather, how long it sits in direct heat or how much we're stuck in traffic.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

There is no discernible difference in the air temp coming out of the vets between AC on and off in my car with the blowers on full. It used to be better when I bought it. When the turbo was being installed, Darren had the AC re-gassed, and fixed a leak, but still nothing coming out. I think I need to take it to a dedicated car AC shop and get them to do it in shop.

Of course, the heater running down the centre of the car (the 3" exhaust) doesn't help! But cold air out of the vents would be a good start :mrgreen:

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed May 04, 2022 1:17 pm

I have dynamat which offers some insulation against the exhaust. The air is realy cold at the vents in mine, but the fan is just too weak to circulate the air inside the cabin enough. I've been spoiled with Toyota's exceptional airconditioning over the past 20 odd years, so I am also pretty critical

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed May 04, 2022 1:49 pm

Top down solves air circulation ...

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:25 pm

Best weather day in quite a while yesterday so after installing a new battery charger in our Rodeo camper, we took the hardtop off the SE and took it out for a refreshing top down drive. Stopped off in Normanville for coffee and decadent 4 choc cheesecake and a walk along the beach. Left as the sun was going down and for any locals who know the great view descending Sellicks Hill, even more spectacular top down with a beautiful sunset to top it off! Unfortunately no photo of the sunset just a quick one as we were about to leave Normanville...

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:57 am

It's been a few weeks since I last got the car out for a spin. Tandem garages are a pain for quick access to your 2nd car! But I took the SE for a spin out to Mt Cotton to meet some friends at a skate park.

Now that their kids are at the age where they're into scooters and skate boards, we old folks are getting back on our rollerblades and doing things 40 year olds probably shouldn't. But it's a lot of fun - just like the MX-5!

No pics, but it was good to get a run out, I wanted to test a few things before getting back to work on the car (I'll posts more details in my thread). The weather is beautiful right now, perfect top down weather, even in the middle of the day.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:25 pm

I took the car out for a short run around the local streets on Sunday. I had intentions of doing some boost tuning in the back streets of an industrial area, but after a few pulls and tuning changes I came to realise my boost level wasn't changing, something wrong with the solenoid.

A bit frustrating, but it was nice to get the car out and drop the top for a little while. This beautiful winter weather will soon be gone and it'll be too hot for me with my poorly AC.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:16 pm

Took F33nix to Bellingen for a weekend 2 weekends ago. Just over 100-0 km for the weekend

car wouldn't get warm enough so the rev limiter kept cutting in at 5600 RPM :lol:

I guess I saved a lot of fuel. LOL

ive now sorted that issue LOL
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:18 pm

I didn't think F33nix would even idle below 5600 :mrgreen:

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:19 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:I didn't think F33nix would even idle below 5600 :mrgreen:

Zing!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:19 pm

Well it wasn't the biggest drive ... but the first in far too long! Fired up the beast, and ventured out my muddy and potholed drive to post a parcel and pick up some from the local PO. 8) :D

It was really nice motoring, pleasant weather, windows down, even if it was only about 30kms return to Bungendore! I was going to take it to town tomorrow, but the forecast is for rain basically for the next week, and my potholes will only get bigger, and the car dirtier - so boring can do that duty.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:39 am

Taking the car's out for a simple errand is always nice, it reminds you how enjoyable they are even if you aren't storming up a backroad or attacking the apex at a track day. :NB8B:

If my garage weren't a tandem and a royal PIA to swap cars, I would take the SE on more of those sorts of drives just because I could.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:57 am

Absolutely! :D

My excuse is that my 2km dirt road needs maintenance badly, it has had none since I put it in over 25 years ago and it shows. We are waiting on a contractor, but with all the rain getting to the top of the waiting list is, well, just a waiting game :frown: . I have jacked the suspension up a notch to clear the ruts and pot holes, and that seems to have done the job, but it is still a chore getting out to the tar. Worth it when you do get there though!!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:17 pm

I went for a drive on Sunday up Mt Nebo to pick up my girlfriend who went on a hike with her dad earlier in the day. Then we drove down into Samford for a late lunch. I figured the cops would be out in force this time of year (I always seem to get a ticket around Christmas), so I took it easy and stuck to the limit. I just tried to keep the speed up as much as possible through the turns, thankfully traffic was light.

It was a nice short blast, and the weather here has been great for driving, if I had more time I would have done a run down the back of Mt Glorious as well. Hope this weather sticks around long enough for a little blast into the Sunshine Hinterlands next week.

Parked up with the locals for lunch

batugajah
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby batugajah » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:24 am

KevGoat wrote:Best weather day in quite a while yesterday so after installing a new battery charger in our Rodeo camper, we took the hardtop off the SE and took it out for a refreshing top down drive. Stopped off in Normanville for coffee and decadent 4 choc cheesecake and a walk along the beach. Left as the sun was going down and for any locals who know the great view descending Sellicks Hill, even more spectacular top down with a beautiful sunset to top it off! Unfortunately no photo of the sunset just a quick one as we were about to leave Normanville...

nice car

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:41 am

I took my own advice to drive more in this great weather while it's not too hot, and drove the SE to work yesterday - top down both ways. I only work in the office one day a week, and it's a pretty straight shot up the Gateway Motorway, but it was still fun! I like making boost noises :mrgreen:

Return to “MX5 General Chat”