Personal plates

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Coote_00
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Personal plates

Postby Coote_00 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:12 pm

Hey all, have some new personal plates and was just wanting to know if i will have any trouble fitting them on the rear of an NA

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: Personal plates

Postby bruce » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:00 pm

You paid a premium for those! I dislike them even though I've got a few (cheap or free).
It is probably to wide for smaller beaver panel (extra wide plate) , u will need the NA8 beaver. U will need to drill holes in the plate (!) or use a frame.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:16 am

Personalised plates are a bit of fun but usually expensive. But it's all relative, isn't it. Some folks have tens of thousands tied up in a boat and fishing gear, some a Caravan or bikes. I enjoy seeing the interesting and amusing ones when out driving.
Years ago my Wife said "Hey - your name is coming up on the standard QLD plates, why don't you see if you can get a set". So I did. My existing plates were very worn so they were happy to replace them for $16.50 with a set with a set that just happened to have my name on them. I wanted a black and silver set so I paid another $96. (I think) to get them remanufactured in slimline black and silver. Most people don't realise they are a standard government issue, apart from the colour/size. On mine, the numbers come first whereas personalised plates have the word first.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:25 am

Yes, I did the same (almost).

When I got the original GM in 2000, one of the first things I did was think about personalised plates. I was never going to actually pay for them, but was inspired by my brother's 'NSX 30L' on the Honda which he got by fronting up to the motor registry and simply asking (he had identified the shop front that was issuing that batch).

I got mine similarly as it is a standard issue combination, but had to request them which cost me a one-off $90 or so (no ongoing payment like now), so 'A MX5 OK' (AMX 50K) rules! It is a bit subtle. I had one member of the Club follow me for a couple of hours before they came on the CB to simply say 'now I get it!' 8) :D

They have stayed with me, now on the third MX!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:30 pm

What I don't understand are people paying a kings ransom for plates. They are tied to a State, thus can only be displayed on a car in that State. You can sell them insterstate but then can't be used.
Whereas mobile numbers have none of those problems and can actually be used (a plate sits on a car and really does nothing except feed an ego).

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:53 pm

Who manufactured these plates?

I've had several from PPQ and they all came with multiple mounting hole options despite the fact that I ordered them as replacement plates for a specific vehicle.

I like clever/amusing personalised number plates, or those that have a story behind them, and find them much easier to remember - I can never remember Buzz's (my Mazda SP23) "normal" number plate.

My personalised plates have always been 5 or 6 character/number combinations though since I can't justify paying over A$1,000 for a number plate, even on Gina (originally an 04 MX-5 SE/MSM).

Here's Gina's current number plates (LLO110) from PPQ once I realised that I could almost make Gina Lollobrigida's nickname, "La Lollo", from a 3x letter + 3x number plate combination for under $500 (note all the pre-drilled holes to accommodate any vehicle):

- "Yes officer, it looks like someone has VANDALISED my number plates by adding that small letter 'a' - it's so small that I hadn't even noticed it!"
- that extra letter "A" would cost an additional $500 and I think that the plate looks better with the small lowercase "a".

Background story for this plate: I love the classic shape of the NB MX-5, it has more curves than the NA with its "wider hips" and the molding on top of the two centre air vents always reminds me of cleavage (stand about a metre behind an NB with the top down and you'll see what I mean). I've always named my cars so decided to name my new SE/MSM after a beautiful classic actress known for her figure/curves - Gina Lollobrigida.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:52 pm

Yup, that sticker would be a fine.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:57 pm

I wouldn't pay a premium for TOP1E55 as there is no value. Far too many combos to achieve the same, similar result. U could make it out of dozens of combos, thus why pay for it unless it is TOPLESS.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:00 pm

Lokiel wrote:... the molding on top of the two centre air vents always reminds me of cleavage (stand about a metre behind an NB with the top down and you'll see what I mean).

Ever dríven a Bugeyes, or even sat in one? Now THOSE are cleavage ... :lol:

Build thread

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:46 am

No Bugeyes have bug eyes, not 8008s.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:20 am

Too cryptic for me Bruce :?

Build thread

charcoal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby charcoal » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:04 pm

Years ago, a young lady who used to work with me was given a 21st birthday present...
800 OBS
For some reason she decided that she didn't want them :shock:

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:30 pm

Ha ha ha!
They wouldn't allow that nowadays.

taminga16
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby taminga16 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:17 pm

YOLK09.png
Just for fun, I would not purchase them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:08 pm

People buy the stupidest plates ie. YOLK... Why, and why would you pay one dollar for it?!

Return to “MX5 General Chat”