Personal plates

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Red Dragon
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Personal plates

Postby Red Dragon » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:01 pm

Bought my son personalised plates recently for his 50th birthday
He runs a DJ & Karaoke business D J S VIC
His performing name is D J Scotty
So Australian flag on one side and kangaroo on the other on a blue background with the above letters was a great idea for someone who is hard to buy for

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:51 pm

Jeo wrote:I never saw the point in a nice car. What's wrong with a '03 Camry? Why pay MORE money than is strictly necessary for personal transportation?

Let people have nice things. What's it to you.

I, like Red Bullet, don't understand why people buy personalised plates for the same reasons Red Bullet stated. I, like Red Bullet, am not advocating that people shouldn't have them. Indeed, those who buy them are subsidising those who don't (me and Red Bullet!). I don't consider personalised plates to be 'nice things'. I believe I have a reasonable opinion and accept that others have a different opinion.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:36 pm

I prefer my 06 Forester to my old 96 Camry. I love my NA-8 and NC2. Still no personalised plates, then again I won't subscribe to netflix either and think that meat pies should cost less than $6. :roll:

charcoal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby charcoal » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:31 am

"horses for courses"
I have a "thing" for number plates which has been a bit of an obsession since the 1950's. I'm unable to explain why, but for many years all of our cars have worn persomalised or even standard issue plates with triple repeaters.
A couple of them have proven to be financially rewarding and I'm probably ahead overall.
I don't smoke or drink (who can afford to do so nowadays?) so enjoy this indulgence.
Perhaps when I'm gone my wife may be able to liquidate some or all of the ones that I have accumulated over the years.
At least there are no annual fees and I am able to have them, rather than keep them in storage at the registration authority.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:42 pm

I've always been interested in licence plates since high school. But as per the reasons I've mentioned earlier, I can't see the value in many of them. The only plates which have value are the 'pure' plates ie. spell HOLDEN, FALCON, etc. Or early digit plates ie. 1, 152, etc. Lately in Vic, VicRoads have auctioned 6 digit plates ie. 432433 for astranomical figures. I can't see the value as there are just so many available. Yes, VicRoads can just issue more!
You may have noticed I have been selling mobile phone numbers for quite a while now and the uptick in plate prices has improved prices for numbers a little bit (nothing astranomical).

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:35 pm

I'm thinking in the near future licence plates will no longer be needed. Cars being online (Teslas and others) can easily be identified etc. more Big Brother is watching you.
Plates I expect will be phased out.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:40 pm

Big brother is only interested in your habits to sell crap to you.

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:11 am

Sadly in the future I can see a place where your car movements are automatically tracked (that bits already here) and as soon as your car travels faster than the speed limit, you are automatically issued a speeding fine, all in the interests of our ‘own safety’ of course! :roll:

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:17 pm

^^ Take it back, don't give them any ideas.

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:04 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:^^ Take it back, don't give them any ideas.

On this, every tollway we have ever dríven has a database of every entry and exit point and the exact times of these occurrences. I am waiting for the day where fines will be issued where average speeds exceed the posted maximum speed limit. I am paranoid about my average speed exceeding the posted maximum limits on tollways as a result.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:04 pm

South Australia has had average speed speeding for years on a number of roads...thought it was everywhere!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:07 am

KevGoat wrote:South Australia has had average speed speeding for years on a number of roads...thought it was everywhere!

NSW has it but is the only state where is isn't applied to passenger vehicles, only trucks and heavy vehicles...
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:13 pm

There are plenty of good reasons to stay off the tollways, take the road less travelled. 8) Yes, average speed cameras are common enough. It's not hard to not speed on the motorways where the cameras exist. These are not MX-5 style roads anyway. :D

aka_juffa
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby aka_juffa » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:28 pm

I've had 3 personal plates, well 2 actually as one was a general issue.

QLD. Jef021 from Mum and dad. While they are no longer registered I have them hanging in my tool shed.

Vic. PURFUN, as in pure fun. These were on my first Malibu Gold NA. Sold with the car.

Vic. General issue plates. OUR542. Also sold with the car.

Current 5 has general issue plates of no meaning but I like them as they are the original plates and like the car, turn 30 this year.
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:51 am

aka_juffa wrote:
Vic. General issue plates. OUR542.

That's my kind of personalised plate!

Recent trip to the coast I followed a NSW plate 'RED14U', on a small red hatch. Coincidence? I think not 8)

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “MX5 General Chat”