NC Air conditioning

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

craigl
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

NC Air conditioning

Postby craigl » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:22 pm

Greetings All
The Air conditioning in our 2010 NC has a slow leak and loses its refrigerant after or 4 months
We live in Townsville where it is quite handy, I took it to one place that was recommended and he said the compressor, the evaporator, condenser all had leaks and the TX valve was faulty. He quoted verbally, no written quote, for genuine parts about $9000 and about $3500 with aftermarket parts
Does this seem excessive to all of you? I am a refrigeration mechanic but not for cars and it seems a lot to me
A quick check of aftermarket parts comes in at about $1500 but we all know about non quality parts
I am looking for opinions and recommendations of which direction to go, or who to go to, the car has only done 60000 kms and is not a daily driver
Townsville is a great place to get touched up in the wallet and like I said it seem like a lot

Thanks

Craig

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: NC Air conditioning

Postby greenMachine » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:35 pm

A second opinion is my first recommendation. And second recommendation. And third ...

In the meantime, start looking for lowish km wrecks for the major parts, if not all. You should be able to get secondhand parts with a limited guarantee from a decent (?!) wrecker - look for a local car (because like you the owner wanted functioning air), with a good service history (so problems likely fixed).

As for that quote, the immortal line from the classics comes to mind - 'Tell him he's dreaming!"

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:14 pm

Hi,
Get a written quote. Ring some bigger places in Brisbane. Drive down and get it done. Free holiday included.
Cheers

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:10 pm

the NC is famous for a leak at the bottom of the condenser RHS, mine did it. I replaced the condenser myself. Then had it gassed. The leak was visually obvious near the pipe into the condenser, get a torch and have a look. Condenser was about $300, my labour was free, the regas was $100

Craig
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Craig » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:54 pm

craigl wrote:He quoted verbally, no written quote, for genuine parts about $9000 and about $3500 with aftermarket parts

Was he wearing a gun and a mask, that's robbery! :lol:
*** Audi A5 Sportback - back in black! ***

Return to “MX5 General Chat”