Targa Tas recommendations

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Targa Tas recommendations

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:13 pm

Targa racing in Australia to undergo 'hard reset' with safety, speed changes to be enforced after competitors' deaths:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-28/ ... /102035054

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Targa Tas recommendations

Postby lucmor444 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:25 pm

On this brief reading the changes seem reasonable. As the report has noted cars are just getting faster and faster, driver skills may not necessarily match ambition and many of the roads previously used have poor safety provisions.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:08 pm

I think Targa should be relegated to the history books.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:05 am

They just have to face it. There is no easy /hard way to make the event safe.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:16 am

Maybe it was only at the top of the order (I don't know) but I kind of got the impression that the event was becoming a bit of a brag-fest for ex-racing drivers (like Jim Richards) who turned up in their multi-million dollar race-prepared Porsches and added another notch to their belt.
A decade ago, I used to watch it (when I could find a free-to-air broadcast) for the interesting competitors in their home-prepped Datsun 240zs, Cooper Ss, Celicas, Toranas, Fiats, Alfas etc. The pace was slower and the whole thing a lot more engaging. The broadcasts eventually started to focus on the celebrities and I thought it ended up like just another round of the Touring Car Championship.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:09 pm

lucmor444 wrote:On this brief reading the changes seem reasonable. As the report has noted cars are just getting faster and faster, driver skills may not necessarily match ambition and many of the roads previously used have poor safety provisions.

No doubt there are a number of driver's whose confidence exceeds their ability, as in all aspects of life, but the recommendations will apply to all. But perhaps that's the only practical way safety can be achieved in such an event.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:16 pm

Rocky wrote:Maybe it was only at the top of the order (I don't know) but I kind of got the impression that the event was becoming a bit of a brag-fest for ex-racing drivers (like Jim Richards) who turned up in their multi-million dollar race-prepared Porsches and added another notch to their belt.
A decade ago, I used to watch it (when I could find a free-to-air broadcast) for the interesting competitors in their home-prepped Datsun 240zs, Cooper Ss, Celicas, Toranas, Fiats, Alfas etc. The pace was slower and the whole thing a lot more engaging. The broadcasts eventually started to focus on the celebrities and I thought it ended up like just another round of the Touring Car Championship.

With the networks all looking for cheap TV shows I can't believe that none of them have thought of doing exactly what Rocky has described above, I think there's an audience for it.
ie.
Have 2x camera crews follow several home-prepped teams each from car-prep at home to the end of the race and make a 6-10 episode series of the event and their journey. They wouldn't even have to fake any drama!

The networks wouldn't have to pay the teams much, most would be happy to do it for free because they're doing it anyway and they'd get on TV, but they could add a network sticker on their car and would be happy to have a few extra $$$ for the event.

Event organisers would love it to publicise the event.

Car part shops and garages would be fighting for the commercial slots.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

pcmx5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pcmx5 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:16 pm

Sorry but think the concept of having cars set up for bitumen (racers) where the run off is dirt is flawed and dangerous. Rallied for a few years on dirt and did a few GP (bitumen)rallies years ago but never felt safe in this enviroment.Really worries me ,despite the advances in secondary safety.
.Now ND2 Roadster prev NC2 Recaro's ,BBS wheels,full exhaust, Tiens NA 1.6.NA 1.8 LE(106RWKW)NC1,NC2.ND 1.5 .

Return to “MX5 General Chat”