Road Registering Trackday NB

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

pdsman53
Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Road Registering Trackday NB

Postby pdsman53 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:12 pm

Hi Guys,
Have a Road registered NB, which is in goon nick.

However, my problem is...the guy I used for Registration sign-off, is no longer in the business.

It has the usual non-compliant bits:-
...EGR delete
...relocated O2 sensor
...extractors
...extended ball joints
...roll cage
...quick release steering wheel
...seat belt and harness
and worst of all...a Driving Bucket bolted to the floor.

Can anyone provide any contacts in Sydney, for a sympathetic Rego sign-off...on a MX5 Club members Trackday car??

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Jim

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Road Registering Trackday NB

Postby Jeo » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:46 pm

Cage meaning full cage or are we talking more of a roll bar?
Quick release steering wheel presumably means no airbag as well?
Harnesses bolted in, not on latches I presume?

pdsman53
Driver

Postby pdsman53 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:25 pm

Yes Jao,
Hard Dog half cage bolted in....
No Airbag
Bolted Harness

etc

Do you know anyone, that will be Rego Inspection sympathetic?
Cheers

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:09 pm

Sucks!. But you really should have planned for this, or a roadworthy inspection after a roadside check. I always have some sort of recovery option for that sort of situation.

My solution, tried and tested over many years.
Extractors with O2, and cat (gutted of course), latterly just a high flow cat
BD bar aka half cage, not an issue provided padded and behind seat
Retain seat belt(for NB, install NA stalk on tunnel), harness clips to eyebolts, but as long as you have the stock belts having both installed should not be an issue
You need a bag in the wheel, and an ADR seat, doubt that is avoidable but swapping the wheel with bag for one that is not is easy, ditto seat swap (stocker on factory rails solves seatbelt and ADR seat in one fell swoop).
ELBJ not an issue for mine, doubt EGR delete would be noticed either.

These people I use I have built up a relationship over time (they do two cars and one trailer a year), if you are walking in cold expect a take no prisoners approach, remember they get audited, and you can be called in for an inspection by RMS for that purpose, to see what they have let through that they shouldn't have let through.

Just means a bit of work on a couple of weekends a year, no big deal.

I do a belt and seat swap before/after every event, easy with the clips and eyebolts, and four easy to reach bolts for the seat (both seats are on rails).

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:12 am

Never heard the term 'good nick'.
I guess we're lucky here in Victoria in not having annual rego checks. Is it just NSW and ACT which have them?

pdsman53
Driver

Postby pdsman53 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:09 pm

Thanks G.M.
Thx for the advice.

We had to bolt the 'bucket' to the floor to get my taller brothers helmet to fit under the hardtop.

We have retained the stock bits...Seat/Seat rails/St Wheel....but from memory the Bag/Timing Wheel Blinker Mechanism seemed a little complex.

Bruce...nearly a good enough reason to move house.
Cheers,
Jim

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:03 pm

ACT has no annual inspections any more, but when they had them every car went over the pits every time :shock: :roll: .

Jim, it is a case of planning for it.

Some things can be left with little risk - I used to run my Sparco Sprint (FIA but not ADR) on the street quite a bit because I reckoned I could get away with it if pulled over (now it comes out PDQ because I am over the contortion needed to get in and out), the belts can left in place as long as I have the stock belt on and working. You get the picture.

OTOH no bags was sure-fire defect notice - I probably understated the work getting an airbag wheel in and out but if it is a serious racecar running on the road you probably should have bought an NA where a non-standard wheel would fall into the 'worth risking it on the road' category. Having just removed my airbag steering wheel twice in quick succession it is very doable, but I'd prefer not to have to do it regularly.

The engine bay stuff is IMHO a case of making it look as close to boring stock as possible. I gutted my AFM when the Haltech went in, but kept the connector attached to the AFM so as to maintain that stock look - I could have taken it out and put a shiny aluminium pipe in its place, but that screams 'what has he taken out here?, we better send him in for an inspection'. And so on.

Good luck!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Jeo » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:30 am

Yeah, ditto sorry mate. Can't help you here other than to largely echo what GreenMachine has said.

The first five I'd reckon you'd get away with for minimal fuss. Unless you're actively advertising that those things exist I don't think they'd take much explaining even if they were noticed.

Harnesses I've always gone the eye bolt approach and simply not had them in the car.
Seat I've definitely gotten away with before (currently have a fixed back Recaro in my street NB and have had zero issues even when pulled over), but assuming you still have a stock seat and have cut the floor, swapping it out for inspection feels like a worthwhile amount of effort to avoid the hassle.
Unfortunately no airbag feels like you're pushing poo uphill though. Have never seen someone get away with that one before.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”