miata.net VERY touchy about politics

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: miata.net VERY touchy about politics

Postby StillIC » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:44 am

Lokiel wrote:
rascal wrote:If you think they are touchy about politics, i dare you to suggest to them they should hand in their guns.. :shock:

Haven't done so directly but on MT.net in the past have suggested that gun availability IS the problem with regard to US mass shootings.
BIG MISTAKE!....

I was going to say something like "other nations have a similar level of gun ownership but without the same number of gun deaths" and went looking for evidence. Well, lucky I did! The attached image has a special category for nations that have more than 100 guns per 100 people, and there is no category for 75-100 guns per 100 people! Sheeeet man!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country#/media/File:World_map_of_civilian_gun_ownership_-_2nd_color_scheme.svg
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:17 pm

Recently the news highlighted that ratio; US was 104 guns per 100 people, Australia 4, and I think Japan was 0.4

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:02 pm

StillIC wrote::
I was going to say something like "other nations have a similar level of gun ownership but without the same number of gun deaths" and went looking for evidence. Well, lucky I did! The attached image has a special category for nations that have more than 100 guns per 100 people, and there is no category for 75-100 guns per 100 people! Sheeeet man!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country#/media/File:World_map_of_civilian_gun_ownership_-_2nd_color_scheme.svg

Was a bit surprised that South Africa's gun ownership was less than Australia's - maybe that only includes registered guns?

No matter how many negative statistics you throw at the US regarding gun-ownership, politics and health care, I've learned that most refuse to listen, they "know better" than everyone else, theirs is the only solution and you're just wasting your time trying to convince them otherwise.

Once upon a time everyone wanted to live in the US but now it's seen as far too dangerous, unliveable if you lose your job and is a failed democracy where only oligarchs can run for office.

My main complaint about Australia is way-too high house/rent prices, it's great place to live and I wish that I appreciated that growing up, before I started travelling abroad.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:32 pm

I am a long-term member of an international forum with probably 80 % US members.
If I have learned anything over 20 years it is that they are not like us.
US citizens come from a very different place historically and culturally and their main characteristic is that they are right and everybody else in the world is wrong. The first thing you learn is to never criticise any aspect of their culture. There is a deep underying 'cowboy' or 'wild-west' mentality that is fundamental to who they believe they are. They worship the capitalists and oligarchs and see the rest of the world as their 'vassals'. This is what gives them the right to interfere in the affairs of other countries. They have great difficulty in accepting that they almost always FU.
This does not mean that they are all 'bad' people - but they are very different.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:30 pm

PaulF wrote:Geez, that's certainly pushing pretty hard on the "no politics" rule - but then I see the political "discourse" on miataturbo.net and think, maybe it's for the best...

You CAN get away with this on MT.net (posted today):
https://www.miataturbo.net/insert-bs-here-4/how-why-ramble-your-goat-sideways-46882/page529/#post1636381
- guess which forum I prefer (if I ignore the guns, politics and health-care threads)?
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:51 pm

I can imagine that such a comment might provoke responses from some particularly opinionated people and it is easier for moderators to nip it in the bud before having to really take lots of action against a number of people on each side of an argument.

Let see....

Why would anyone vote for the....no, I can't do it.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Return to “MX5 General Chat”