Insurance again…

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Insurance again…

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon May 29, 2023 1:14 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:We can't get RACV car insurance in Queensland.

May be RACQ offers a similar 'classic' offering?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon May 29, 2023 1:56 pm

93_Clubman wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote:We can't get RACV car insurance in Queensland.

May be RACQ offers a similar 'classic' offering?

Lol, RACQ are the most expensive. They're not remotely competitive and want nothing to do with a modified car.

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Mon May 29, 2023 3:19 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:But RedMX was saying, they're the sales side, not the payout side. Hopefully I never have to deal with them.

I've claimed from Shannons a few times over the years for both cars and house (most recently about 6 months ago) and they've always been excellent to deal with.

RedMX
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby RedMX » Tue May 30, 2023 1:33 am

CrazyRacer wrote:
ManiacLachy wrote:But RedMX was saying, they're the sales side, not the payout side. Hopefully I never have to deal with them.

I've claimed from Shannons a few times over the years for both cars and house (most recently about 6 months ago) and they've always been excellent to deal with.

Sales side was great, positive to deal with. mods not a issues.....
but yeah the claiming side & dealing with the "other side of things" just left a bad taste in my mouth..... They lost paperwork in their system, lack of communication & they also "lost the car" as they shipped it to a repairers yard & they had no idea where it went too.... :roll: all worked out in the end but yeah I think it could have been a one off issue maybe *shrugs* .
Touch wood I don't have to make a claim for a while.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:46 pm

Just had a convo with Shannons. Upped the value of the car by 50% (!), added another mod to the list, and the premium stayed the same (well a couple of dollars cheaper actually) :shock: . Need to ask around, but that will take some beating.

I might get a better price on the Fraud though ... we'll see.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:57 pm

Just got my renewal from Shannons. Agreed value $12K but premium has gone up $60. to $500.
Checked out Australian Pensioners Ins. but don't do agreed value - $150. cheaper but on a value of $6K.
There is a twin for mine on Carsales for $20K (same mileage) All the other 2001 models were around $16K.
My renewal goes up every year on the MX5 and I am again wondering if it is worth it for $12K on write-off.
If it was written-off I would probably buy an NC HT.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:53 pm

Talk to them Rocky, that has worked for me. I increased my sum insured with minimal cost increase.

Also, is it insured as a weekend car? That makes a difference.

Build thread

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:45 pm

Whether we insure our cars is a personal choice. I hardly drive my mx-5s so the risk of damage is lower. I also take them to the track where I self insure anyway. However my daily drive sees far more km per annum and sees more rural roads where large marsupials are likely to be an issue in due course. Hence my daily is insured and the mx-5s are not comprehensively insured.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:58 am

Rocky wrote:Just got my renewal from Shannons. Agreed value $12K but premium has gone up $60. to $500.
My renewal goes up every year on the MX5 and I am again wondering if it is worth it for $12K on write-off.

Looked at extended third party, fire & theft some years ago, as opposed to comprehensive, but it wasn't that much less so persisted with comprehensive.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:17 am

93_Clubman wrote:
Rocky wrote:Just got my renewal from Shannons. Agreed value $12K but premium has gone up $60. to $500.

Looked at extended third party, fire & theft some years ago, as opposed to comprehensive, but it wasn't that much less so persisted with comprehensive.

Same/same.

Current rates for the DD are okish and with the money I have sunk into the toy I want to protect that 'investment' as far as I can. I am not prepared to contemplate writing off that investment, literally or metaphorically.

Build thread

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:40 pm

How much damage would you have to sustain to eat up $12.K ?
There's a minor 'rear-ender' which is going to eat your Excess but be repaired and then there is the "4WD into the back at speed which would probably do the trick. $12.K would be about half the price of a good NC HT - if you could find one.
There's a really nice Copper-coloured NC HT parked on the street every day near my home. I feel like finding him/her and telling them how hard they are to find and what they are worth these days. 12 months in the heat and the paint won't be worth a cracker.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:51 pm

My wife went up the back of an Audi last year in her Echo, at very low speed She was stopped behind it at a turn left with care, then the Audi started to pull away, my wife also did then the Audi just suddenly stopped for no reason and my wife hit the back of it. Maybe 15 - 20 kph? Echo was written off for $4500 market value, $1k more than agreed value, and later when I went to pick up the plates to hand in, asked the crash repair shop if they could tell me what sort of cost the damage had come to, and he said they stopped looking at $6000 !! but was probably on the $7k to $8k region!

Parts and labour are very expensive these days.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:51 pm

Same thing happened to me, up to a point. But no write-off, minor damage.

Exact same scenario - car in front stops, accelerates off, then stops suddenly. This must have been in my Subie some many years ago, car in front was a Corolla-type thing. I barely touched it, only a scuff mark on my front bumper garnish which polished out - literally. Repair bill was several hundred dollars on the other car. When I queried it, they detailed the damage to the bumper structure and its supports. My belief is that the car had been damaged in another incident, and I was set up. I think she tried that on, to get somebody else to pay for the damage - might have done the three-step dance more than once before someone bumped her. Bingo, driver ran into rear of stationary car, driver at fault. Am I paranoid, or what?!

This happened at a T intersection, turning left. When she moved off, I moved too, simultaneously looking right in case of approaching traffic, so never saw her brakelights. It was a bad habit, and it bit me. Never again, I look before moving ever since, lesson learnt.

Build thread

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:36 am

Rocky wrote:How much damage would you have to sustain to eat up $12.K ?
$12.K would be about half the price of a good NC HT - if you could find one.

The way price increases have been generally over the last few years reckon $12k won't get you much in terms of fixing accident damage, plus when it involves a 20 year old car, write-off would be looming early on.
Btw, if you eventually go for an NC get an NC2, ie 2009 onwards, which it sounds like what you've been looking at given the price point mentioned. Prices were quick to go up, but slow to come down so a temp garage filler might be an alternative. Before the increase NC2s were in the high teens to low twenties.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:27 pm

I don't think you're paranoid, GM. Sounds all too plausible to me.
I agree Clubman, I don't think it would have to be too much of a crash to eat up $12K on a 22 yo car.
At this stage of my life I would be more than happy with a younger MX5 - Maybe a NC2 HT - for around $20K. I only drive it once a week and a more expensive car (like a BRZ) would just be a major waste of cash on an old bloke.
The Mazda 6 would actually be a bigger worry as it is so good and I have no idea what I would replace it with. The insured value is only $7K so only a fraction of what another comparable vehicle would cost.
The Missus would like something small like a Corolla but I kind of fancy a 2019 3 Series BMW. Yeah, I know, reliability/parts etc. I just like their looks. Always have. I'd have to do something about the iStop however. Couple of nice 2019 low mileage examples on Carsales.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”