Memorial for Russ Maxwell RIP

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Memorial for Russ Maxwell RIP

Postby greenMachine » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:33 am

Yesterday a gathering was held to remember Russ Maxwell, who died recently.

Organised by Lou I, it was held at Mulgoa where a good number of NSW MX5 Club members and other friends of Russ gathered to mark his passing and reminisce about his exploits.

As some on here will know, Russ was a long time competitor at NSW Club trackdays and NSW State Championship Supersprints from around 2010, as the table groaning under his trophies attests. As well as his personal trophies, Russ' strong performances and regular Supersprint presence made him the 4th highest contributor to the Club's historic 'fourpeat' - our four-in-a-row Club Championships over 2014 to 2017 - and one of only six drivers to score over 500 points over the four years.

Belying his strong competitive streak, Russ was a great source of humour and repartee in the paddock - you had to get up very early if you wanted to top Russ in the repartee stakes! Every afternoon he would produce a bag of lollies to keep our blood sugar up - I smiled at the bowls of sugar babies and snakes on the tables, though what Russ would have said about the tongs was best left to the imagination. He was always ready to lend a hand to his fellow competitors, on or off track - at least twice stopping during an event to assist a competitor whose car was on fire.

Thanks again to Lou and the others who put the afternoon together and the NSW MX5 Club for underwriting it.

Rest in peace Russ, you will be remembered by many with a smile!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Re: Memorial for Russ Maxwell RIP

Postby greenMachine » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:24 pm

Build thread

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:27 pm

Ahh bugger.

I missed the invitation. David L sent the heads up that it would be held, and I responded positively, but I didn't receive an email with the details of the event.

I miss Russell. Makes me glad I made an effort to catch up with him at the President's Picnic last year (which was the last club event I attended).
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:46 pm

I now realise that the invitation was in an MX5NSW all member weekly email. I rarely read the list. I could kick myself.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:14 pm

Yes, that was common remark about Russ!

I almost missed it too, I only saw some reference last Friday, dug out the details and sent my RSVP hoping I wouldn't be told 'so sorry, too late' - but all was well.

I was glad I saw him at Pheasant Wood late last year, where we exchanged our usual banter.

As you say, we will miss Russ, his banter and his lollies!

:mrgreen:

Build thread

Return to “MX5 General Chat”