Mazda MX-5 evolves again with new technology

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

taminga16
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Mazda MX-5 evolves again with new technology

Postby taminga16 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:45 pm

When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Mazda MX-5 evolves again with new technology

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:12 pm

Ohh yay another shade of grey...

Mechanical upgrades look good. The track mode/street mode steering is interesting and need to have a better read of that. It limits how far or quick the steering wheel can be turned?
Limited Slip Diff will be nice. Don't like the connected services thing. Yet another subscription creeping into every day life...
MeepMeep

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:44 am

The new track mode sounds more marketing than anything really useful.
Every mx5 I’ve dríven is significantly quicker on track with all the electronics turned off .
They tend to just limit your ability to rotate the car how you need.

It might be easier or safer for the driver, but it certainly isn’t quicker

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:42 am

I really dislike cars which are constantly connected. GPS, etc, etc, what happened to privacy? I guess that all disappears when you click OK, I AGREE on the screen.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:54 pm

All of that just moves even further away from what I want in a sports car. I am happy I bought what I did, when I did, because like Jimmy sings "You got nothin' I want, you got nothin' I need."
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:35 pm

Now THIS is more like it styling-wise.
They just need to make it with a Rotary or RICE motor and a manual gearbox. None of this Hybrid or EV 5h1t.
Unfortunately it looks like an RX7 level car not MX5 and would probably sell against the Toyota Supra/Nissan Z car.

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:12 pm

Rocky wrote:.....Unfortunately it looks like an RX7 level car not MX5 and would probably sell against the Toyota Supra/Nissan Z car.

What I don't understand is why it is only very expensive cars that look good (in my eyes that means low slung sports car, e.g. FD RX7, NSX, 911, Lambo whatever...). The metal work is not any more difficult to press, the steel costs the same (or possibly less), I imagine car companies would sell more reasonably priced sporty models if they did look better. Why can't an MX5 looks as good as the next Z/Supra/RX7/NSX? I agree with you Rocky in that I think that's what the car above is more likely to be, but I just can't understand why.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 am

People will pay for, and will be made to pay for, desirability (whatever it may be in that particular instance).

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 am

Would you buy a sexy looking car with crap drivetrain, suspension and interior for a budget price. No. That's where the costs balloon.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:24 am

StillIC wrote:
Rocky wrote:.....Unfortunately it looks like an RX7 level car not MX5 and would probably sell against the Toyota Supra/Nissan Z car.

What I don't understand is why it is only very expensive cars that look good (in my eyes that means low slung sports car, e.g. FD RX7, NSX, 911, Lambo whatever...). The metal work is not any more difficult to press, the steel costs the same (or possibly less), I imagine car companies would sell more reasonably priced sporty models if they did look better. Why can't an MX5 looks as good as the next Z/Supra/RX7/NSX? I agree with you Rocky in that I think that's what the car above is more likely to be, but I just can't understand why.

I think the current MX5 shape is very good, and well proportioned for its size. I think it is a contender for the best looking shape of them all, possibly better than my favourite, the NB8A (especially in Grace Green). For that reason, and because the whole package is sound, I could see myself in one, though not any time soon, and only if they do something about the abysmal colour range on offer.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:52 pm

bruce wrote:Would you buy a sexy looking car with crap drivetrain, suspension and interior for a budget price. No. That's where the costs balloon.

I read your question as "Would you buy a sexy looking MX5?". My answer is "yes", not no.

I mean, the MX5 simply has a mass produced 4 cylinder engine, no turbo, with a modern but not particularly special transmission. The chassis is a steel monocoque like most cars on the road. The interior is no more advanced than any other Mazda. The MX5 goes some way to my "reasonably priced sporty car that looks good" goal, probably closer than any other reasonably priced car, but does not look as good as a Lambo, Ferrari, Aston or even RX7, NSX etc. to my eyes.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:24 pm

Everybody knows that I am not crazy about the looks of the ND - everybody to their own.
I don't think they got it terribly wrong - I just think that with a few styling changes/tweaks it could have been really good - like the NB8B :D
I'd have thought it made a lot more marketing sense to offer an MX5 that looks like the previously posted RX7 styling exercise and sell a million of them, than to relegate that styling to a model that will sell a tenth of that number and have to compete with the Supra, Z Car. M2 etc.
If the styling exercise above was available as a conventional MX5 with a manual gearbox I would be saving for it now.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

An old name returns to softtop motoring

Postby greenMachine » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:06 pm

This could be a foretaste of our future

Not cheap, be interesting to see an Australian price - available in 4WD and RWD. Very easy on the eye too.

Couple of other vids on YT if you want a different take.

Build thread

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: An old name returns to softtop motoring

Postby rascal » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:35 am

Won’t be a taste of my future. Chinese build quality and driving dynamics, no thanks.

I bought an mx5 as there’s very little this side of $200k that will keep with it through the twisties.
Everything I’ve seem come out of chinese MG seems to have no connection between road and driver
so I won’t be (over)paying for something like this anytime soon even if it does look much better than previous offerings.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Re: An old name returns to softtop motoring

Postby greenMachine » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:54 pm

rascal wrote:

Won’t be a taste of my future. Chinese build quality and driving dynamics, no thanks.

I bought an mx5 as there’s very little this side of $200k that will keep with it through the twisties.
Everything I’ve seem come out of chinese MG seems to have no connection between road and driver
so I won’t be (over)paying for something like this anytime soon even if it does look much better than previous offerings.

I wasn't suggesting that that particular car was our future, just that electric sportscars are on the way, and our traditional expectations of them were going to have to adapt.

Hopefully someone like Mazda can 'do' a BEV 'MX5' that can make the transition more palatable for us traditionalists.

Build thread

Return to “MX5 General Chat”