Classic & prestige cars on a petrol-free planet likely to look to synthetic fuel & electrification

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Classic & prestige cars on a petrol-free planet likely to look to synthetic fuel & electrification

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:18 pm

'Classic and prestige cars on a petrol-free planet likely to look to synthetic fuel and electrification' - 'Experts believe the future of vehicles will include a mix of technologies as the planet becomes more environmentally conscious' https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-14/ ... /102934624

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Classic & prestige cars on a petrol-free planet likely to look to synthetic fuel & electrification

Postby rascal » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:50 am

A petrol-free planet is a loooongg way away…

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Classic & prestige cars on a petrol-free planet likely to look to synthetic fuel & electrification

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:30 pm

What do they say - never let the truth get in the way of a story! :mrgreen:

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:53 pm

Synthetic fuel will definitely be an option in future as petrol prices continue to blow out.
ie. While maybe not economical now to produce 1L of synthetic fuel vs the pump price, it will be at some point so whoever produces it will make a killing.

I really don't understand Russia and Saudi Arabia's thought process at the moment regarding cutting back oil supplies to increase the price per barrel.

They're driving up petrol costs massively at a time when EVs are becoming more readily available which will likely tip a LOT of buyers into buying an EV when they would normally have stuck with an ICE if petrol prices were sane.

They're "cutting their own throats" by speeding up the migration to EVs because financially it makes far more sense to purchase a new EV versus an ICE.
Also, if you buy a new ICE car now, you're not going to get much re-sale value in 5 years time when there are even MORE EVs available and petrol prices have "gone through the roof".

Alas, even with this logic I couldn't convince my dad into buying, or waiting on, an EV over the Mazda CX-5 he's just bought after replacing the trusty, mint-condition Commodore he's had for over 10 years that was used to tow the caravan all around Australia on multiple occasions (he sold the caravan 3x months ago so was able to upgrade to his "last" car).

If it was me buying at this time, I'd have bought the new MG.
Yes it's made in China but it's great "bang-for-buck", MG-China seems to appreciate quality control (not many Chinese manufacturers do, Lenovo and DJI being the big exceptions), doesn't look like crap, as many of the EV SUVs do, and still retains a front mounted instrument cluster (as opposed to only having a big tablet in the middle of the car that displays everything and requires you to take your eyes off the road - wouldn't surprise me in future if the lawmakers mandate a front-mounted instrument cluster due to accidents as EVs become more common).

After sitting in a Mazda CX-5, then the MG, you can tell the difference in build quality and luxury which I believed seduced my dad (as well as a healthy suspicion of anything built in China vs Japan), but for a DD to get through the grind of getting to and from work when you need to drive a long way, the MG is an obvious choice from an economic standpoint.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:54 pm

Lokiel wrote:I really don't understand Russia and Saudi Arabia's thought process at the moment regarding cutting back oil supplies to increase the price per barrel.

They're driving up petrol costs massively at a time when EVs are becoming more readily available which will likely tip a LOT of buyers into buying an EV when they would normally have stuck with an ICE if petrol prices were sane.

They don't even consider the EV market. They have much bigger issues/reasons for their pricing.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:08 pm

While our pump prices are volatile almost daily, this is purely for the financial gains it gives the local stations and companies. The oil future contracts these companies negotiate are less so. These are fixed. What we see in daily price changes actually doesn't truthfully relate to the costs for local fuel companies until they move on to oil supplied from a new contract on which the price was fixed a while ago. What Saudi and Russian oil companies are doing is trying to increase the costs on these futures contracts to try to offset the oncoming reductions in fuel usage. This will only get worse as more EV's and alternate fuels take over from oil.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:12 am

Lokiel wrote:.....and still retains a front mounted instrument cluster (as opposed to only having a big tablet in the middle of the car that displays everything and requires you to take your eyes off the road - wouldn't surprise me in future if the lawmakers mandate a front-mounted instrument cluster due to accidents as EVs become more common).

Look back in history at how many ICE vehicles have a centrally mounted instrument cluster...
It's amazing how much carnage that DIDN'T cause out on the roads! :wink:

Whether you look down or down and slightly to the left you are still taking your eyes off the road to check the speedo.
The real problem is that we are forced to constantly be checking the speedo rather than focussing on driving.

It actually took me almost no time to adjust to the new position of the speedo in my Tesla.
While driving I'm constantly scanning in all directions, including the speedo, it's just a slightly different spot to look, you get used to it very quickly.

Having the blinker stalk on the left hand side on the other hand... :?
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:45 am

Lokiel wrote:Yes it's made in China but it's great "bang-for-buck".
but for a DD to get through the grind of getting to and from work when you need to drive a long way, the MG is an obvious choice from an economic standpoint.

Surely you jest?

Bang-for-buck of the MG EV might be better than the other (massively overpriced) EVs out there, but compared to an equivalent ICE they are not even close to being great.

eg MG ZS ICE is $29k-$41k, MG ZS EV is $43k-$47k - up to $14k more expensive. Most other brands are worse. eg Hyundai Kona ICE is $36K, equivalent Kona EV is $62K

Given the average driver drives 15,000km per year.
Running costs would be approx $2,000pa for the MG ICE and (given the common theory that EVs cost 1/3 the running costs of ICE) around $650 for the MG EV.
A saving of ~$1350 per year, meaning it would take over 10 years before the EV starts to win the cost argument.
Hardly an obvious choice from an economic standpoint.

Add in the painful recharging delays should you not have your own fast charging facility in your garage (most don't) and EVs (currently) don't make sense for the vast majority of people, financially or logistically.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:08 pm

rascal wrote:Add in the painful recharging delays should you not have your own fast charging facility in your garage (most don't) and EVs (currently) don't make sense for the vast majority of people, financially or logistically.

10 seconds? Doesn't sound painful to me...

Plug it in to a normal 10A powerpoint and walk away (adds ~15km of range each hour). Simples! :mrgreen:

Most cars are just sitting around for 95% of the time.
Always
Be
Charging
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

ralt
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby ralt » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:47 pm

Hi.
Electric vehicles work in europe because of distance here distances are greater with less charging stations and limited ranges. A friend had to travel from Brisbane to Perth recently and will not do it in an electric vehicle again.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:17 pm

ralt wrote:Hi.
Electric vehicles work in europe because of distance here distances are greater with less charging stations and limited ranges. A friend had to travel from Brisbane to Perth recently and will not do it in an electric vehicle again.

I love these extreme edge case examples used to justify an argument.
How often would the vast majority of people have to do that? :|
I wouldn't try it in a Kia Picanto either, use the appropriate vehicle for the task.
If I had to get from Brisbane to Perth I'd fly and hire a car on arrival...

Most people's daily commute is <50km in total.
The shortest range EV on sale is ~220km (real world), most are well over 300km in (real world) range.

I did the round trip to my parents place yesterday of 280km without charging and got home with 42% battery left, this is in the 'short range' RWD Tesla Model 3.

EVs aren't for everyone and they are an evolving technology with sometimes limited use cases, which just happens to coincide with the majority of metropolitan driving. I agree with this viewpoint entirely which is why I have 3 vehicles, each for a given purpose. :mrgreen:

Return to “MX5 General Chat”