Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

zossy1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

MX5 Racing - AASA rules vs, CAMS, etc

Postby zossy1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi guys,

I am giving some serious thought to giving up the TAG kart and coming car racing.

I want to race door-to-door and I would ultimately like to be in a competitive package. So I am looking at race cars currently on the market as I know full well how much it would cost to develop something from scratch. Lots of good cars out there. I am in NSW so most of my racing will be at EC and Wakefield.

BUT even after reviewing the CAMS manual (the AASA rules as relating to car classes have eluded me so far), I was going to ask for some input from you guys on how to do this best.

FYI, I am a short fatass at 175cms and 97kg.

So I understand the mods that are available in the 2F and 2B classes. I also understand that there are strict power/weight ratios observed to maintain parity. Can someone help explain to me what these ratios are for 2B and 2F as they relate to the MX5? Do these power/weight ratios serve to categorise the classes so you are only racing similar power/weight vehicles? In other words, if I buy a sorted normally aspirated 2F MX5, what sort of cars will I mostly be racing? What about a normally aspirated 2B? How about a 2F SE with the turbo and restrictor? And what about running an SE in 2B?

And... What about AASA? Are their classes/rules the same? I can't find them... What sort of classes do they run? Is a CAMS 2F or 2B car suitable for AASA events or is there more/less you can do to the car in AASA?

Thanks guys - a lot of questions I know and would appreciate any input you might be able to offer.

Guran
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Re: MX5 Racing - AASA rules vs, CAMS, etc

Postby Guran » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Mazmad has written an excellent introductory guide to MX-5 racing, which you'll find on our club website. It certainly doesn't answer all your questions, but does give you a bit more to go on. :D
http://nsw.mx5.com.au/motorsport/other- ... ort/racing
Standard 2006 NC - YouTube
WP 1:11.89 | SMP-S 1:05.90 GP 1:54.93 N 1:18.09 L 2:22.49 | PW 1:02.52
PI 2:00.55 | W-S 1:12.44 W-L 1:43.36 | SR 1:33.25

mazmad
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby mazmad » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

My phone number is there too zossy feel free to call or email me. Might be best to talk it through initially, could be starting a novel to completely answer your questions in type :D It will ultimately be determined by how deep you want to jump in initially ($$bucks and learning curve), and where to from there.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Guran wrote:Mazmad has written an excellent introductory guide to MX-5 racing, which you'll find on our club website. It certainly doesn't answer all your questions, but does give you a bit more to go on. :D
http://nsw.mx5.com.au/motorsport/other- ... ort/racing

Some of the CAMS info is out of date. The medical requirements have been relaxed (can be done by your GP now), and the cost of a PCC/CC is around $250 last time I looked (this year), which is all you need until Porsche come looking for you waving a contract ... :lol:

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

mazmad
Racing Driver

Postby mazmad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:38 am

Correct CAMS PC is $440, PCC (acceptable for Prod Sports) is $270.

zossy1
Racing Driver

Postby zossy1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks heaps for the chat this morning maz, very informative.

Gotta sell up the TAG gear so I can buy a car now...Anyone interested in a 125cc Rotax kart package? As dríven by last year's Junior Max National Champion, Jono Venter? :)

mazmad
Racing Driver

Postby mazmad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Hey no worries Chris. One further consideration of Cams V AASA licence is that with a Cams PCC (provisional clubman circuit) you HAVE to compete at 1 Cams event every 2 years to maintain it. (and keep the P plate until you upgrade to NC or CC :shock: )

zossy1
Racing Driver

Postby zossy1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Shoot! Man they don't want to make it easy for you... No wonder people are flocking to AASA.

mazmad wrote:Hey no worries Chris. One further consideration of Cams V AASA licence is that with a Cams PCC (provisional clubman circuit) you HAVE to compete at 1 Cams event every 2 years to maintain it. (and keep the P plate until you upgrade to NC or CC :shock: )

mazmad
Racing Driver

Postby mazmad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Actually....that is now 4 years, so it has relaxed again. But agreed it is complex , their licencing.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”