What brake pads for NC MX5 for street and some track?

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Regie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC - V8

Re: What brake pads for NC MX5 for street and some track?

Postby Regie » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:20 pm

DavidM wrote:Thanks for the info guys. The MX5 is stock with the exception of coil-overs. Though the stock pads seem to give up pretty quickly when driving 'spiritedly' on a twisty road. So looking for something little bit more resilient ... but as mentioned before - also quiet.

myself and a fair few others have run stock pads without much trouble on the track.

you might have other problems if they feel like they are fading on a spirited run

how long since you did a brake fluid flush?
MY07 NC, Mazdaspeed Body, Ohlins, Full GWR Exhaust, 17x9 RPF1's, 4.1FGR and lots lots more

bensale
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: What brake pads for NC MX5 for street and some track?

Postby bensale » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:39 am

Stock pads with good fresh fluid should be fine.

My experience is with an NA but still relevant.
A fantastic budget option is TRW / Lucas pads. They're inexpensive, don't fade providing you bed them in aggressively and make no noise on the street. They also work when cold.
EBC Yellows are nice on the track, but they squeal a little and need a stop or two to work properly when cold.
I never really liked the Hawks HPs, they seemed the lack progression compared to the other pads I've used and also squealed.

Fluid shouldn't be overlooked. I notice a difference after as little as two track days - it's not expensive so keep it fresh.
www.othersideproductions.com
NA6-Phillip Island 1:57.7, Winton 1:42.9, Winton Short 1:12.4, Sandown 1:35.2, Wakefield 1.15.9, Nurburgring 9:17.0

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”