MX5 Turn by Turn guide for SMSP South Circuit

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Trackphotos
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Re: MX5 Turn by Turn guide for SMSP South Circuit

Postby Trackphotos » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:11 pm

That's just semantics. It's not 'slow', it's 'slow enough to maximise exit speed'. It's generally correct, assuming your exit leads onto a stretch where you have the opportunity to gain speed. If you're going through esses where a fast exit from the first apex simply means you have to knock more speed off for the second apex, it can be quicker to dive deep, pull up hard and only prioritise your exit speed from the second apex.

I think that's part of the problem. Rules have exceptions, and being able to recognise when those rules should be broken is what separates a technically capable driver from a seriously quick one.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
QR Clubman: 1:03.9 | QR Sprint: 1:01.4 | QR National: 1:29.4 | LS: 1:01.5 | Mt Cotton: 51.6

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:25 pm

^Exactly.

The only time I suggested people sometimes should consider using less speed was in Turn 1 where I said:
“If you find you are drifting off a little bit far to the right maybe back your speed off a little bit and you’ll make up the time you lose in the corner by having a better line through the rest of the complex”

I think that corner actually showcases pretty well the concept of taking the optimum speed (slow) rather than the fastest speed possible in through certain corners, I’ve dríven behind a ton of people who try to carry too much speed through turn 1 it and then mess up the rest of the complex.

Here’s a picture of that corner, in red is about where you end up if you carry too much speed and in Yellow is my actual line.

If you enter turn 1 with too much speed you’ll be slower through turn 2 as you have made it into a tighter corner than it needs to be and while you could take a wider line through 2 than I’ve shown on the red line you’ll then just delay the implication the mistake until turn 3 since the exit of turn 2 turns into the exit of turn 3 as you can see by this overall photo of the complex.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:51 pm

I think John Bowe knows a bit about cornering quickly & is certainly not a noob! Here is a quote from his article called 'The Perfect Lap':

"The old 'slow in fast out' is still the most effective way to get through a corner. This universally adopted technique allows you to get on the throttle, & therefore out of the corner quicker,providing better entry speed to the next piece of track"

PS Great write up Dan

Todd77
Driver
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby Todd77 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:15 am

NitroDann wrote:Slow in fast out is a noob training tip, the fastest way is, of course, fast in- fast out- fast everywhere.

How many times have you dríven the south circuit yourself Dann?

Todd77
Driver

Postby Todd77 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:40 am

beavis wrote:
NitroDann wrote:Slow in fast out is a noob training tip, the fastest way is, of course, fast in- fast out- fast everywhere.

This^ ..."slow in, fast out" - sounds wrong to me.

Slow should not be part of any motorsport mantra.

Slow in fast out I can relate to..... Sort of... It's flat out as long as I can till I have to brake to make the corner ( braking out of the way ) then once I'm happy I'm going to make the corner it's flat out again out of the corner ( tyres willing! ) I put it down to confidence in, confidence out... It comes down to so many factors, your cars brakes, tyres, power and track conditions... That's why so many people have different ways to take each and every track, all you can do is offer your experience and let people see if it helps them. Good job dan cheers

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:53 am

Its literally a training tip, it isnt how F1 drivers do a qualifying lap. Its like "Brake in a straight line". Again a noobie training tip, the fastest laps have trail braking on turn in for most corners, and the fastest laps have significant slip angle both entering and exiting every corner.

Its a good video Dan, thankyou for your insight, Ill review it again before I head out onto South.

Ive not raced on South myself, only drifted, but if you'd like to know with what authority my claims come from, I drove a 1000km old 2016 toyota 86 to within 1 second of the current stock 86 record at wakefield, on my first time driving one, just 3 saturdays ago.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:55 am

'Trail braking' is an excellent example of 'slow in fast out' :!:

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:08 am

Braking so late that you have to keep on the brakes as you turn in to get the nose to dig in is an example of entering as fast as is possible while stay on line.

Thatd be fast in fast out.

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 pm

It's the same thing !!
'Slow in fast out' does NOT mean going slow. It means the minimum slowing of the car, to allow the earliest acceleration out of the corner.

RileyR
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby RileyR » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Here is a video which explains braking, apex's, slow in fast out etc

1996 BRG NA8

Trackphotos
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby Trackphotos » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Don't bother RS2000, it's a deliberate misunderstanding to be contrary. Dann knows the principle. He just doesn't like the terminology.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
QR Clubman: 1:03.9 | QR Sprint: 1:01.4 | QR National: 1:29.4 | LS: 1:01.5 | Mt Cotton: 51.6

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Thats the one.

I dont like that the terminology misleads noobies.

"Torque wins races" is another commonly misunderstood idea, due to the poor wording and lack of context.

Todd77
Driver

Postby Todd77 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:41 pm

NitroDann wrote:Its literally a training tip, it isnt how F1 drivers do a qualifying lap. Its like "Brake in a straight line". Again a noobie training tip, the fastest laps have trail braking on turn in for most corners, and the fastest laps have significant slip angle both entering and exiting every corner.

Its a good video Dan, thankyou for your insight, Ill review it again before I head out onto South.

Ive not raced on South myself, only drifted, but if you'd like to know with what authority my claims come from, I drove a 1000km old 2016 toyota 86 to within 1 second of the current stock 86 record at wakefield, on my first time driving one, just 3 saturdays ago.

Dann

Gold star on the Wakefield time buddie, We are not running F1 cars, slip angle... Yep got this newbie, I thought it was as simple as driving to the tyres capabilities. I'm definitely taking a dictionary to the track next time, might get a second or two quicker.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:19 am

This thread inspired me. I made my own Phillip Island equivelant turn-by-turn guide...
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”