Long Term Track Car - Short Term Daily

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Long Term Track Car - Short Term Daily

Postby davekmoore » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:51 pm

I can vouch for the advice from NitroDann and lightyear. Both very good drivers and both understand MX-5s inside out. Having made every possible mistake (until I went to NitroDann) in building a big power turbo NB, I'd also say get yourself an NB8B. Then maybe two ways to go ...........

1. Talk to lightyear about the car he seems to be de-turboing.
2. Get one with dreadful paint and interior and massive kms. As long as it's cheap enough to reflect that AND HAS A FULL SERVICE HISTORY it will be a great starting point.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

PeterB
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby PeterB » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:17 pm

What events and classes are you intending to run, as this will affect your decision. Do you want to win at all costs, or just have a heap of fun at a budget cost.

In the standard or mild modified classes for MX5 trackdays or state supersprint championship then I would agree with Guran and go NC1 first, NB8B next then NB8A as in the under 2 litre class, with few mods the, NC1 will come up trumps.

If you are going highly modified or racing, then a NB8A or B may be the go and spend the extra dollars on modifications as others suggest. Of course if going for the big modifications you may have to factor in the engineering costs to keep it road legal. It will be difficult to keep a well modified and sorted track car road legal and you may find over time you will go the race car on a trailer route if you get serious.

Decide the class and circuits you want to run, then decide on a car to suit. Any MX5 is a heap of fun on the track.
Peter B
MX5 free for present

LeroyM
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby LeroyM » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Apologies for the late reply, have been in and out of town for work. I have finally had a chance to check out a couple of NB's and went for a drive. $%&@, wasn't sure if road car or go-kart. I'm sold.

Will be inspecting a couple more in the next week, anything I should look out for? I've noticed a couple of things:

- Strong vibration coming from shifter
- Water puddle in boot
- Top latch not locking

Leaks - any particular area I need to focus on?

I'm also aware of the short nose crank pulley wobble, so will keep an eye on it.

Will also perform a compression test, what figure is reasonable for the BP engines?

NitroDann wrote:I can sell you all of the parts, build it from scratch, or just advise for a fee.

Buy an nb8b, miles dont matter as long as its got compression, no bad noises, and doesnt use oil.

Nb8b has

Abs
6 speed
Bigger brakes
Vvt motor.

Its cut and dry.

I can hook you up with a 200rwkw stock motor package posted or installed and tuned, all the supporting mods, or you can build it yourself with some of the right advice and setup info.

Dann

Thank you Dann, I will be in touch :)

PeterB wrote:What events and classes are you intending to run, as this will affect your decision. Do you want to win at all costs, or just have a heap of fun at a budget cost.

In the standard or mild modified classes for MX5 trackdays or state supersprint championship then I would agree with Guran and go NC1 first, NB8B next then NB8A as in the under 2 litre class, with few mods the, NC1 will come up trumps.

If you are going highly modified or racing, then a NB8A or B may be the go and spend the extra dollars on modifications as others suggest. Of course if going for the big modifications you may have to factor in the engineering costs to keep it road legal. It will be difficult to keep a well modified and sorted track car road legal and you may find over time you will go the race car on a trailer route if you get serious.

Decide the class and circuits you want to run, then decide on a car to suit. Any MX5 is a heap of fun on the track.

Currently it's more as a hobby really, as well as PBs and improving driving skill. But definitely on the budget considering house deposit coming up. Thanks for your advice, but I'm quite sold on the NB8B at this stage :)

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”