Data logging

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Data logging

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 pm

takai wrote:Serial connection to what? Racepak do a serialised connection for the Megasquirt already, so if they allow for CL1 to V-Net that would presumably work
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... taloggers/

My Autronic SM4 has no CAN output.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

takai
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby takai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:27 pm

greenMachine wrote:
takai wrote:Serial connection to what? Racepak do a serialised connection for the Megasquirt already, so if they allow for CL1 to V-Net that would presumably work
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... taloggers/

My Autronic SM4 has no CAN output.

May not have CAN, but it does have a Racepak Vnet module; https://store.racepak.com/product/autro ... ce-module/

Start asking for VNet to be implemented on the CL1.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:32 am

No, there are viable alternatives, and I am not waiting indefinitely for something that has not even been foreshadowed. Even if it was on the horizon, we both know how long these things take, if they ever happen.

Right now, there is not one post in Racepak's own forum for the CL1. Not even from Racepak themselves :roll:

I'll take the bird in the hand.

Build thread

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 am

Not just karting, any Motorsport. If a track was made in water you could use it on a boat....

The most important decision is does it fit my needs and can it grow with me? I may have persisted with Innovate stuff had they added GPS functionality, the ‘stuff’ had been provisioned for GPS but never added.

I’m sponsored this year by Racepak, however I would not accept a sponsorship if I do not truly believe in a product. Sponsorship is 2 way!

Some people are happy with Harry’s lap timer as it suits their needs others may have Motec and fully unlocked software. To me it is more about the data than the product. How does the data help, is it a hinderance etc.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 pm

On the logging front, does anyone find that logging wheel speeds from the ABS sensors any use?

I have used it in the past on a Locost 7 replica to determine wheel spin (and partially because we had the inputs anyway). But not sure how much use it is on a MX5.

Main thought is that ill be doing some brake and hub work soon anyway (refreshing bearings etc) plus pulling all the suspension out to check/replace the bushings. Would be an ideal point to drop in ABS hubs/uprights for future proofing. But if i never use it there probably isnt much point.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:45 pm

If you do log via ABS sensors you will need to do all 4 as this will show slippage etc. However you may come into an issue with the Hz of the logging machine and the number of teeth on the ABS sensor ring.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Magpie wrote:If you do log via ABS sensors you will need to do all 4 as this will show slippage etc. However you may come into an issue with the Hz of the logging machine and the number of teeth on the ABS sensor ring.

Yeah, hadnt thought about the refresh rate issue. Not so much of a problem on a full IQ3, but any info on the CL1 refresh rate?

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Anyone dabbled with the RaceCapture stuff from Autosport Labs?

https://www.autosportlabs.com/shop/

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am

I looked at that a while ago, and updated just now. Still no serial input, so not for me.

Seems to me that this and CL1 would be direct competitors, I would lean to Racepak as they have been around in datalogging for a while and could be expected to offer more capability. But as neither meet my needs I haven't dug too deeply into either, or done a detailed comparison.

Build thread

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 am

Madjak from memory uses Race Capture plus I know of a driver in WTAC Clubsprint that uses it.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:45 am

greenMachine wrote:I looked at that a while ago, and updated just now. Still no serial input, so not for me.

Seems to me that this and CL1 would be direct competitors, I would lean to Racepak as they have been around in datalogging for a while and could be expected to offer more capability. But as neither meet my needs I haven't dug too deeply into either, or done a detailed comparison.

Actually the RaceCapture does have serial input, and allows for communication customisation via LUA.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:44 pm

How so? Is this another work around like the hypothetical Racepak V-net adapter? I know about the programming feature, are you saying I could write a routine to capture serial data? In breaking news, I have no interest in becoming a programmer, and neither am I interested in pioneering solutions - I want something that works out of the box.

I had a look at Madjak's threads, but no results searching for Race Capture. (EDIT: He does, it was a post in Magpie's thread.)

Build thread

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 pm

greenMachine wrote:I have no interest in becoming a programmer, and neither am I interested in pioneering solutions - I want something that works out of the box.
:NETPOINTZ:

greenMachine wrote:EDIT: He does, it was a post in Magpie's thread.)
Thanks, I could not remember where it was.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:51 pm

greenMachine wrote:How so? Is this another work around like the hypothetical Racepak V-net adapter? I know about the programming feature, are you saying I could write a routine to capture serial data? In breaking news, I have no interest in becoming a programmer, and neither am I interested in pioneering solutions - I want something that works out of the box.

I had a look at Madjak's threads, but no results searching for Race Capture. (EDIT: He does, it was a post in Magpie's thread.)

Gee, you really want the world don't you. The Racepak V-Net adapter isnt a hypothetical, it works perfectly on a mate's rally car with an SM3 and IQ3, nothing special about it. The only reason it is hypothetical for the CL1 is because they haven't given us any info at all on the CL1.

As for the RaceCapture, it says it allows for Serial logging, and the LUA is quite a powerful interface to be able to log what you want to log from a CAN/Serial interface rather than having to log everything and therefore taking up valuable clock cycles on logging things you don't care about.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13 pm

takai wrote:Gee, you really want the world don't you.

Trolling makes you feel good, does it? FYI, looking for something to work 'out of the box' is not a big ask in my world. I already have two Aim options, if I have more I will be happy, if I don't I will choose between them.

takai wrote:The Racepak V-Net adapter isnt a hypothetical, it works perfectly on a mate's rally car with an SM3 and IQ3, nothing special about it. The only reason it is hypothetical for the CL1 is because they haven't given us any info at all on the CL1..

So, it is hypothetical, but it isn't. Riiight.

takai wrote:As for the RaceCapture, it says it allows for Serial logging, and the LUA is quite a powerful interface to be able to log what you want to log from a CAN/Serial interface rather than having to log everything and therefore taking up valuable clock cycles on logging things you don't care about.

Yes, you are right, I stand corrected. Buried in the documentation for the Track version is a reference to serial input, which requires programming. As I said earlier ...
greenMachine wrote: I have no interest in becoming a programmer, and neither am I interested in pioneering solutions - I want something that works out of the box.

Race Capture may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but not for me.

Build thread

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”