Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Re: World Time Attack Challenge

Postby NitroDann » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Jarik wrote:
Sure, its just not a lot of power when you consider that dirt track awd cars were running bigger power 10 years ago. IMO.

Its all money though isn't it.

Dann

They are pretty small engines. Pretty much all the Pro class cars are running engines that when stock, are 2L (4G63, SR20, F20C). I think you'd struggle to see 1000HP on those engines even on a drag car. =\

Not even, there are PLENTY of 1000whp evo's. there were street registered evo's in the flying 500 with more.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

orx626
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NC - Rotary

Postby orx626 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Jarik wrote:Another thing that always surprises me is how many Pro/Open class cars end up with cooling issues. I mean, they've only had all year to do testing and to struggle to put down a single lap? I understand they're really pushing the boundaries with a lot of these cars, but...

You've almost hit the nail on the head. The ones that tested over the last year (not in the last week) did pretty well or really well...and the ones that didn't...well they didn't! :P

Cheers,
Danny

Dweezle
Racing Driver

Postby Dweezle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 am

I agree.
I found it a little disappointing that Saturday saw no real attempt to break Fridays time??

Dont get me wronf.
Still the best weekend of the year, but if you wanted to see any real close competition you had to stay for thr Drift clowns :)

Damn that Mad Mike FD looks and sounds incredible!!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4
ALL MUSCLE CARS ARE CRAP
Jeremy Clarkson

except of course, the Almighty VIPER!!!! 8)

little decks
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby little decks » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:02 am

Realistically the whole elite class thing with time attack is more about the excitement of how out of this world the quickest cars are. In terms of on track excitement there isn't a whole lot on offer, the quickest cars do less than 10 laps over 2 days, the only pro class car that went over 20 was the Scorch S15. The allure for me is definitely more to do with what can be done with a production car base, consider that the F3 lap record is only 2.2s faster than the time Tilton did on the weekend!
Thats why WTAC has done a great job at creating an industry event which is what pulls in great spectator numbers, and other major championships should really take note. Motorsport really gave up on the track attending spectator when television came along, and now it looks dumb on tv when you can see that nobody is there. It is the same problem that retailers face with online shopping, but instead they have reacted by giving new value to the in-store experience to get people to leave the comfort of their homes. V8SC think that putting a concert on fixes the problem... but what do they offer to the motorsport fan? Go to the V8SC at SMP and you'll see a sterile paddock with a few transporters and then all the support guys crammed onto the skid pan, contrast that with WTAC and you can see why people actually attend this event!

NitroDann
Forum sponsor

Postby NitroDann » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 am

How many spectators at WTAC anyways? 10-15k?

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

16bit
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A - Supercharged

Postby 16bit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 am

orx626 wrote:
Jarik wrote:Another thing that always surprises me is how many Pro/Open class cars end up with cooling issues. I mean, they've only had all year to do testing and to struggle to put down a single lap? I understand they're really pushing the boundaries with a lot of these cars, but...

You've almost hit the nail on the head. The ones that tested over the last year (not in the last week) did pretty well or really well...and the ones that didn't...well they didn't! :P

Cheers,
Danny

what happened to mr brilliants white eclipse?

dead last in pro by a long way?
98 evo gold - rotrexed and loving it.

This post has been printed using recycled pixels

orx626
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NC - Rotary

Postby orx626 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:38 am

16bit wrote:what happened to mr brilliants white eclipse?

dead last in pro by a long way?

Hi James,

What didn't happen to it! Broken gearbox input shaft, blown tyre, 4 x failed coil-overs, broken diff in that order.....as I said.....
The ones that tested over the last year (not in just the last week) did pretty well or really well...and the ones that didn't...well they didn't!

With the Eclipse not having not seen a race track in over 3 years and an incredibly lean budget....most of these issues would have been uncovered if it had made it to the track prior to WTAC. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Mick Sigsworth's entry (Pro-Am class Evo) was proof of a perfect plan....plenty of testing was undertaken at Eastern Creek and other SEQ tracks over the last 12 months. The vehicle maintenance schedule was second to none....virtually every component was inspected (and replaced as required) leading up to the event. Congrats to him on first place in the Pro-Am class.

It will be interesting to see what Andrew wants to do with it seeing that once these problems have been addressed...the car would have effectively been fully rebuilt.

Cheers,
Danny

little decks
Fast Driver

Postby little decks » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:56 am

NitroDann wrote:How many spectators at WTAC anyways? 10-15k?

Dann

Not really sure, but there would have been at least that many there just for the drift challenge at night when I went last year

Apu
Speed Racer

Postby Apu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 am

The turnout wasn't too bad. I left at 10am on Saturday (kids...) and the carpark was filling up already.

Back to Danny's point about the cars that tested - I haven't really seen many of the cars at track days...I guess the big budget teams have their own sessions, haha! However, drivers like Nik Kalis; Jason Naidoo and the Tran brothers (BYP)...you're quite likely to see them at track days. The BYP cars are on the track very, very often - just like any keen track goer, so their cars get dríven A LOT!

I think that's were the spirit of WTAC should be - sure there's the top end guys to really push the limits but I think the Open Class is the realistic. everyman class and that's what I go to WTAC for...and the odd girl with cheek revealing super high cut denim shorts - see the Works Engineering FB page :twisted:

-alex
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby -alex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Some iPhone pics from our adventure to WTAC13
Linky link
Australian Targa Champion|Targa Australia
Sasso - 06/05/10 ♥

elitee
Fast Driver

Postby elitee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:05 am

Apu
Speed Racer

Postby Apu » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am

Awesome shots! What's your webpage? Can I link it to the Works Engineering FB page?

mazmad
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby mazmad » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:35 am

They are great shots!

What happened to the Rothmans car? (cant event tell what it is, looks like a Pug! Surely not!)

elitee
Fast Driver

Postby elitee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:55 am

Apu wrote:Awesome shots! What's your webpage? Can I link it to the Works Engineering FB page?

thanks man, feel free to link my facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/fullmotionphotography

genuine MG Metro 6R4 car caught fire on the practice session, seems like there was an oil leak, by the time the fire marshals got there would of been at least 2 minutes after the car was already destroyed quiet sad.

Jeo
Speed Racer

Postby Jeo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 am

Okibi wrote:I hear the RTR evo is bent, anyone know if Daz is ok?

I was on the hill between 5 and 6, about 20m from where it hit the wall. Big hit but he got out of the car and walked away, albeit taking a while.

orx626 wrote:Indeed!....ol' Under Suzuki needs to stay off the race line on his cool down lap(s) too! :evil: Geez that was a close call!!!

Same spot for this incident too. It happened directly in front of me, stupidly close. You could see what was going to happen before Tilton even got to turn 5.

Re-spectating; honestly the open and clubsprint sessions were the best to watch. The pro and pro-am classes were cool to watch when cars were on track, but that was certainly not the norm. Cars in the lower classes circulated pretty consistently.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”