Postby sailaholic » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Cams requires full face in open cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazmad
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: HANS mandatory from July 2014

Postby mazmad » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:41 pm

greenMachine wrote:One side benefit of a SA2010 helmet (ie with HANS holes/posts) is that they are proper racing helmets, and usually lighter than the run-of-the-mill motorbike helmets many of have used up to now. I know my M5 Bell is much lighter than my old helmet.

:mrgreen:
Also fire retardant which bike helmets (AS1698) generally are not.

Full face is also recommended for closed cars for fire protection.....not to mention additional face protection.

tbro
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby tbro » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Hey all,
Spent the arvo on this bloody computer to see what sort of deal I could get on Hans /helmet combo.
Looked at the Necksgen (2014 model) too bloody dear and if you watch the vid you gotta wonder why you would want one.
Tried Demon Tweeks and JJC, both the same company, MSAR too hard to contact and don't do $$$ conversions, tried a couple of others and basically
the shipping kills it or they only offer combo with open face helmets. DT wanted $182.00 with no option to use different shipper.
Found a mob called Rallynuts, gotta join their "club" but their prices are really good and "you" decide what shipping you want. So for a few more dollars than Aussie offerings I purchased a Schroth sport 2 , OMP gp7s helmet and a hans and helmet bag. Without the bag it was the same price as the Velo combo but lighter hans and better ??? helmet.

Thing that sh8t me was that since last tuesday ALL the race supplies up here have increased their HANS prices by $100 min, funny that hey!!! NOT.

http://www.rallynuts.com/hans-devices.html
http://www.rallynuts.com/motorsport-ful ... a2010.html

So all this for two (2) race meetings a year, oh well, shoulda coulda

Terry
"Racing shouldn't be for rich idiots, but for all idiots"

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Another claustrophobic full face helmet it is then. This offer seems to be available from a few suppliers:
http://autosport.com.au/itemdetailspage/42247

Would any forum sponsors like to make a better offer before I go for this one?

Would anyone still using a seatbelt like to buy my full face motorcycle helmet and CG-Lock Seatbelt Lock? The helmet is a size medium and has always been worn with a liner, never been dropped, hit, or otherwise damaged. Comes with a bag. Cost me $190. The very effective seatbelt lock comes with a bunch of different sized/spare fixings. It was $110 plus shipping. $150 for the pair, delivered in Australia.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 am

Velo might be cheaper direct? Murray Motorsport in Ireland also does good pricing and ships to Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:49 am

mazmad wrote:
greenMachine wrote:One side benefit of a SA2010 helmet (ie with HANS holes/posts) is that they are proper racing helmets, and usually lighter than the run-of-the-mill motorbike helmets many of have used up to now. I know my M5 Bell is much lighter than my old helmet.

Also fire retardant which bike helmets (AS1698) generally are not.

Full face is also recommended for closed cars for fire protection.....not to mention additional face protection.

Yes, I had forgotten about the fire retardant bit. There was a discussion on here a while back, started in response to the Bargaballo supercars incident, which also linked to details of a serious fire in a MX5 in the USA, in which the driver was spared a very nasty outcome by good safety gear. The photos of the charred helmet and suit certainly convinced me.

For those chasing HANS/helmet packages, PM me. I can't post anything because it is not my place to say anything, but I can refer you.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:26 am

Full face gives more than just fire protection. In my car I've had a gear shaft from an Alfa bounce over the windscreen and a piston and rod from a Laser or Astra or something bounce just over the door mirror. I'm always watching for one through the windscreen.
’95 NA8

mazmad
Racing Driver

Postby mazmad » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:40 am

mazmad wrote:Full face is also recommended for closed cars for fire protection.....not to mention additional face protection.

And watch this for a graphic example of the benefits of a good, full face, helmet.

http://safeisfast.com/sections/2-driver-safety/videos/54-how-to-crash-safely#.Uy9GbfmSx8E

2.28sec into it.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:34 pm

manga_blue wrote:Full face gives more than just fire protection. In my car I've had a gear shaft from an Alfa bounce over the windscreen and a piston and rod from a Laser or Astra or something bounce just over the door mirror. I'm always watching for one through the windscreen.

Only if the visor is down. Look around next time and see how many don't put the visor down.

Since the Bargaballo/MX5 discussion, mine is always down, sometimes I leave a few mm gap for ventilation but I try to avoid even that lately.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

deviant
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby deviant » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Don't forget this when you are shopping for a head restraint:

CAMS has resolved to introduce regulations which mandate the use of forward head restraints in accordance with FIA standards

mazmad
Racing Driver

Postby mazmad » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 am

Excellent doc from HANS covering everything from correct belt set-up, to installing 'helmet tether anchors' or posts in helmets not supplied with them.

HANS Quick Start Guide ENGLISH June 2012.pdf

Whatever you do, I would recommend purchasing from your local race supplier and having them install posts as needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:30 pm

CAMS say they're working on negotiating special deals for them. At the moment they are advertising a small discount to $599 from their shop on https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?f ... rgID=12970 but it might be worth watching that space.
’95 NA8

tbro
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby tbro » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 am

Just an update on my order,ended up getting the Stand 21 Club, OMP gp7 helmet and omp gloves to suit my slightly modified hand, all up delivered $930 aus.
Ordered Sat morning London, arrived at Narangba 930am Thursday. Certainly can't complain about their or DHL's service.

Just another option.
"Racing shouldn't be for rich idiots, but for all idiots"

Sailor
Racing Driver

Postby Sailor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:06 pm

ARDC members can purchase at the shop at turn 1 for around
600 dollars iirc
Rob

05 NCLE, Cosworth SC,PF01,Ohlins,Selby,GWR exh
"We're only given a tiny spark of madness.We mustn't lose it"(Robin Williams)

Tony
Racing Driver

Postby Tony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Peter and Don Battisson of ACDC Pty Ltd in Canberra are significant supporters of the MX5 community in general and are sponsors of the MX5 Club of NSW. Recently they have also taken on the Revolution Racegear and Opposite Lock agencies in Canberra.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a HANS device from Peter and got a great deal.

If you'd like to support those businesses that support us, I reckon it's well worth giving him a call to see what he can do for you.
'09 NC2

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”