Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Data logging

Postby greenMachine » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Tim_cyc03 wrote:
TCR wrote:
Whilst on track I really want to have lap timing (incl predictive), shift lights, and to be able to monitor engine vitals, which would include visual alarms if a preset limit is exceeded. Then after the session and/or day is finished just be able to download data for analysis. Starting with simple things like speed, rpm, track mapping and G forces with some ability to expand at a later date.

Motec C125 - you will probably never need another dash again, and it does everything you want. And the software is simple to use.

Agree. But the price :shock:

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

takai
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby takai » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 pm

greenMachine wrote:
Tim_cyc03 wrote:
TCR wrote:
Whilst on track I really want to have lap timing (incl predictive), shift lights, and to be able to monitor engine vitals, which would include visual alarms if a preset limit is exceeded. Then after the session and/or day is finished just be able to download data for analysis. Starting with simple things like speed, rpm, track mapping and G forces with some ability to expand at a later date.

Motec C125 - you will probably never need another dash again, and it does everything you want. And the software is simple to use.

Agree. But the price :shock:

:mrgreen:

Oh man, that is eye watering. You would want to never need another dash again...

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 am

C125 in Action

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:20 am

takai wrote:If you are talking Pis then ill presume that you are ok with some form of setup and programming. If you are, then you should be able to do all your logging through the PiDash using TunerStudio or similar. TunerStudio can take your CAN inputs from the MS3 Pro, and provide shift lights and engine vitals. I believe they are in the works of allowing for a lap timer as well. The Pi setup with TunerStudio has to be one of the most expandable units out there, and the community is always adding new plugins to do different things.

However, with expandability and flexibility often comes lack of reliability and analysis. I haven't been able to find much that allows for motorsport oriented log analysis, such as CircuitTools or RaceStudio etc.

Nope, I have no idea about this stuff, but if I can buy $150 worth of PI stuff, and connect it up to the MS3 to display the engine vitals and shift lights to start with, then I'm willing to learn :) I can connect other sensors and a data logger at a later stage when time and money permit.

Tim_cyc03 wrote:Motec C125 - you will probably never need another dash again, and it does everything you want. And the software is simple to use.

$3500 for the dash and Level 1 logging capabilities. Way outta my budget :)

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:23 am

Magpie wrote:C125 in Action

That is one of my old cars, but it never had that sort of tech in it when it was mine :)

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 am

TCR wrote:Nope, I have no idea about this stuff, but if I can buy $150 worth of PI stuff, and connect it up to the MS3 to display the engine vitals and shift lights to start with, then I'm willing to learn :) I can connect other sensors and a data logger at a later stage when time and money permit.

Well if you are considering it anyway, then there is no time like now to learn. Grab a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ for $50 or so, and then a HDMI touchscreen LCD ($60ish) from eBay and go for gold. Youll need a 3A USB PSU, but they are about $5 and easily available. You can also get full kits for about $120 from eBay.

The big thing for the Pi dashes is the software configuration rather than hardware, but there are plenty of guides on that. Such as this: https://www.reddit.com/r/megasquirt/com ... erry_pi_3/

Oh and this is a good solution too: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2252864

Edit: also see here: https://www.miataturbo.net/megasquirt-1 ... ash-92851/

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks takai, seems I have a bit of research to do. Your first reddit link doesn't work, and I have seen the 3D printed dash surround already :)

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:36 pm

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 pm

takai, you need to wrap any urls in the "[url][/url]" tags. The forum software will attempt to identify and convert automatically but struggles with long urls, and results in truncation.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:09 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:takai, you need to wrap any urls in the "[url][/url]" tags. The forum software will attempt to identify and convert automatically but struggles with long urls, and results in truncation.

The issue is that even if you do wrap a URL in a tag, and then come back and edit the post (as i did to add another link) it will truncate URLs in the rest of the post.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Ahh, I see. I don't edit too often so I haven't come across the issue. Good to know and keep in mind.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:02 pm

For those interested, there's a bit more info here on the MS, Pi & TunerStudio integration.

https://www.miataturbo.net/megasquirt-1 ... 545/page3/

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Fri May 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Motec CDL3 kit took a price reduction when they introduced the new dashes. For the MS3 you would need to set up the dash to receive the right stuff over can, not super hard if you have the MS3's CAN id's.
http://www.motec.com.au/latestnews/cdl3pricereduction/

Motec is eye watering money upfront, but it's a proven solution, and Magpie has spent more money and time on multiple data logging solutions that could have been sorted with one system for cheaper at the start.

An observation regarding displays/data loggers - people spend lots of money on them, have no idea what it can do or how it does stuff, and basically it becomes ballast for the car. I've asked a few people why they have X, or are they logging Y, or what does their data show... and just get blank looks.
Cheers,
plohl

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Fri May 04, 2018 2:12 pm

I agree plohl, but by the same token, I've seen people spend big money for some high end gear, and never even use half the functions it offers.

Pays to research and work out what you really need.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Fri May 04, 2018 3:34 pm

TCR wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, especially GreenMachine. I'm a real noob at this ECU stuff :)

I already have the MS3Pro PNP (MSM0405) installed in the car, and pretty sure I can pull the data from it via CAN.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/meg ... eed-miata/

As for viewing it all, a mobile phone might be ok, but I'm thinking something like a dedicated dash, 7" tablet or Raspberry Pi touchscreen might be the way to go.

Because I have the MS3, I was thinking of possibly running the Pi3 screen so that I can run the full version of MS Tuner as Beavis has done in his car, and then use the same screen to display the info mentioned above whilst on track via a RaceCapture Pro or CL1 etc.

The MXM looks ok but is still a bit exxy at $1400, when compared to the other two at $600 plus $150 worth of Pi stuff.

Have a look at MSTrackIt (http://lokiel.weebly.com/android-mstrackit-app.html) if you're thinking about the tablet or mobile phone route - connecion is via MS3's serial I/O. I've played around with a Bluetooth interface too but it's never been stable enough - possibly due to the adapter I was using. MSTrackIt is a "sexed-up" MS3Pro version of my Adaptronc AdapTrackIt App with extra features.

You can also run Shadowdash on an Android tablet.

One of the things that annoys me with Android and Pi dashboards is the boot time and is why I used a Teensy 3.2 Arduino for my OLED gauges. The Teensy uses the MS3's CAN Advanced Real-Time Broadcast data and users can select any of its values for display.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”