AIMSS levy

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

rain902
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

AIMSS levy

Postby rain902 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 pm

I note that CAMS very kindly ticks the box for the "AIMSS Levy", $10 on our competition licence renewal form for us.

Its only $10 and we pay it because we think its going to 'do something good" for safety.

but does it?

Consider the following:

there are 19, 543 competitors nationally, this brings in $195 430 in 'voluntary' contributions to this Institute per annum. This does not include any memberships - with a cost of $200 and $15 000 per annum, nor does it include any government grants that this organisation would be eligible for. Don't worry - I am investigating how much taxpayers money is awarded to this organisation each year, in addition to favourable tax conditions that apply to 'research' organisations. I note that the AIMSS does not publish any sort of annual or financial reports on its website.

Why is any of this of interest?

well AIMSS own website last update was in november of 2010, and this made reference to the intention of completing studies commenced in 2008 and 2009. It also notes that with the financial support of the FIA, they are intending on doing more research.

The words "perhaps" "considering" and "intent" are used a lot, however the word "completed" was only used 3 times and two of these instances were used to describe an intended test. One that apparently has not been carried out to date.

Do we see a pattern here?

Why do we care?

Money is tight for all concerned, and while safety is important, I for one am not impressed with the way we 'voluntarily contribute' to an organisation that appears to do nothing but get paid to be a tax haven for our administrative body.

While I'm on my soapbox I will note that CAMS spent $4.6 million dollars on advertising and promoting events last financial year - how many of these dollars promoted a grassroots event? Please let me know.

Conclusion.

Please take the time to consider if you will pay the AIMSS levy when you renew your licence. Perhaps if we (all competitors) were to boycott the payment of this so called voluntary levy, then CAMS would ask why and the AIMSS would actually be prompted to do something positive with our money. The only way they will ever know that we are dissatisfied is if we vote with our wallets.

references:
http://www.aimss.com.au/Media/News/2010/November-Research-Rundown.aspx
2013 Australian hillclimb champion 2F
2013 qld hillclimb champion 2F
Qld & Aus 2F state record holder-mt cotton
2014 vic hillclimb champion - 2A

Guran
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Re: AIMSS levy

Postby Guran » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Just renewed my L2S the other day and unchecked the AIMSS donation. Did the same thing last year too. I'm not making a donation that CAMS "expects" us to make. $95 plus GST for a CAMS licence is already asking a bit much. On the other hand, if I could see some recent results of their research, I might be inclined to make the donation.
Standard 2006 NC - YouTube
WP 1:11.89 | SMP-S 1:05.90 GP 1:54.93 N 1:18.09 L 2:22.49 | PW 1:02.52
PI 2:00.55 | W-S 1:12.44 W-L 1:43.36 | SR 1:33.25

deviant
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby deviant » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 pm

I have never paid the AIMSS levy. When I did my last renewal they had the cheek to send a leaflet and a letter asking me to reconsider ticking the box. That went in the bin.

Rain902 really sums it up for me, CAMS are just not transparent enough. I would love to know what research they are doing the FIA are not already doing and how any of this money is being filtered down to the circuits and clubs.

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Did my first renewal tonight and noticed the levy. Did a google search and this was the top hit.

Thanks guys! Saved being scammed out of 10%.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”