THE 2014 MX-5 CUP

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

MX5CupRacing
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

THE 2014 MX-5 CUP

Postby MX5CupRacing » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:51 pm

The MX-5 Club of NSW is excited to announce the launch of a series of MX-5 only races for 2014.
This series is called the MX-5 CUP, and consists of 5 races to be held at Wakefield Park Raceway over the year.

The MX-5 Cup has been created to provide an annual competition featuring low-cost, competitive, good spirited MX-5 racing. It is intended to foster the development of MX-5 racing and encourage new entrants to the sport. Newcomers will be provided support and assistance, and competitors will be expected to adopt a gentlemanly approach to them under race conditions.

There will be up to 5 different classes in the competition. Points will be awarded for each round for placegetters from each class. The overall winner for the season will be the competitor who amasses the most points, hence he or she could come from any class.

Cup Calendar: THE 2014 MX-5 CUP

1 Wakefield 300: 1-2 Mar-14 Wakefield Park NSW
2 Motor Racing Australia (MRA): 27-Apr-14 Wakefield Park NSW
3 AASA NSW RD: 17-18-May-14 Wakefield Park NSW
4 Motor Racing Australia (MRA): 24-Aug-14 Wakefield Park NSW
5 AASA ACT RD: 29-30-Nov-14 Wakefield Park NSW

We are currently finalising the classes and regs for the Cup competition. I know many of you will be eager to see these, but we ask for your patience whilst we work out the details. We expect to have finalised docs for you in January.

This competition is open to all MX-5s that comply with Cup requirements.
These will include:
- Hold current membership of the MX-5 Club of NSW
- Have paid the Cup championship annual entrance fee
- Lap Wakefield within the thresholds of 1.05 to 1.16
- Agree to abide by the Cup Code of Sporting Conduct
- Comply with all requirements of the motorsport licencing body, the racetrack operator, and the event promoter or owner

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN COMPETING IN THE MX-5 CUP, PLEASE REGISTER YOUR INTEREST HERE. Include name, phone and email.

We wish you and your families a safe and happy Xmas, hope that Santa brings you a new race suit and set of brake pads, and look forward to seeing you on the track or trackside at the MX-5 Cup in 2014!

BigDaddy
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: THE 2014 MX-5 CUP

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Why do I have to be a member of the NSW MX5 Club to race at Wakefield? What is the Cup Entrance Fee for?

MX5CupRacing
Driver

Postby MX5CupRacing » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:48 pm

If you are from interstate then membership of your state club is sufficient. One of the aims is to support the development of mx5 motorsport and the clubs play an important role in this.

The Cup fee will be a token amount to cover the season trophies, development awards, and also possibly help to put on bbq's and such. Wakefield have kindly offered to supply the trophies for the Trophy race at each round.

BigDaddy
Learner Driver

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:50 pm

I am not a member of the Vic club either, I am a member of Benalla Auto Club that own Wakefield Park, is that good enough?

zossy1
Racing Driver

Postby zossy1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Love the idea and would love to take part... but what about us poor saps who missed the field for the Wakefield 300? Will there be a "drop your worst round" rule or something?

MattR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby MattR » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm sure that the Wakefield 300 round would be for races held at the same meeting. The Wakefield 300 race isn't the only race held on the weekend for that meeting.

zossy1
Racing Driver

Postby zossy1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:56 pm

MattR wrote:I'm sure that the Wakefield 300 round would be for races held at the same meeting. The Wakefield 300 race isn't the only race held on the weekend for that meeting.

That then presents questions of its own, doesn't it? Like what the weighting of a Wakefield 300 result will be as compared to a supporting race result?

Having just re-read the Wakefield 300 regs, am I right in thinking that the fastest 47 cars from qualifying will make the field? If this is the case, I may still have a remote chance at making the field...

BigDaddy
Learner Driver

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 pm

The MX5's will race as a support race to the Wakefield 300, the Wakefield 300 race itself won't be a round of the championship

zossy1
Racing Driver

Postby zossy1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:03 pm

BigDaddy wrote:The MX5's will race as a support race to the Wakefield 300, the Wakefield 300 race itself won't be a round of the championship

Makes sense :)

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:31 am

BigDaddy wrote:Why do I have to be a member of ... MX5 Club to race at Wakefield?...

I guess because the event is being run by the MX-5 club, their members money goes into booking the venue and running the event. They also take on the risks involved with running such an event. Support those who make events like these possible and who provide volunteers to keep the event costs down.

Our club events have a non member price but if you want to do more than a couple of events it's cheaper to buy membership.

Membership has its privileges.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Suspense
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Suspense » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:38 am

If you can't afford (or are otherwise opposed to) the $50 membership for the club organising the events you probably shouldn't be racing. Help support the club, I'm sure you'll get good value from it.

MX5CupRacing
Driver

Postby MX5CupRacing » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:38 am

Thanks for your interest, you raise some good points.

The MX-5 Cup will be run in conjunction with existing events being run by Wakefield. As Adam noted, the Cup races will take part on the same weekend as the Wakefield 300, but are separate races. On the Wakefield 300 weekend, the Cup races will take place on the Saturday (along with other support races for the Wakefield 300).

To enter the Cup you will need to pay the entrance fee to Wakefield for that weekend's event, and have paid your season's entry fee for the MX-5 Cup. As noted above this will be a nominal amount.

So zossy/Chris, you can race in the Cup on the Wakefield 300 weekend, in an MX-5 only race (assuming you meet the Cup requirements).

Adam I will get back to you about your question re the Benalla club.

BigDaddy
Learner Driver

Postby BigDaddy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:08 am

Okibi wrote:
BigDaddy wrote:Why do I have to be a member of ... MX5 Club to race at Wakefield?...

I guess because the event is being run by the MX-5 club, their members money goes into booking the venue and running the event. They also take on the risks involved with running such an event. Support those who make events like these possible and who provide volunteers to keep the event costs down.

Our club events have a non member price but if you want to do more than a couple of events it's cheaper to buy membership.

Membership has its privileges.

The event isn't being run by the MX5 Club, it is being run by essentially the Benalla Auto Club who owns Winton and Wakefield Park. which I am on the committee of. There are also 2 other committee members of the Benalla Auto Club who race mx5's as well. Just so you know, I actually run Winton and my brother runs Wakefield, so I know how it all works ;)

BigDaddy
Learner Driver

Postby BigDaddy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:12 am

Suspense wrote:If you can't afford (or are otherwise opposed to) the $50 membership for the club organising the events you probably shouldn't be racing. Help support the club, I'm sure you'll get good value from it.

I am supporting the club that runs the event, that is the Benalla Auto Club. I can afford it, and am not opposed to it, and I was a member of the Vic MX5 Club and found no value in it whatsoever. There was absolutely no interest in racing, only supersprints, and when I made suggestions about mx5 racing in Victoria, the club captain at the time was opposed to it because he was only interested in supersprints, his exact words were "I am not interested in racing, so I doubt the rest of the club would be"

david_syd_au
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby david_syd_au » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:46 am

While other clubs will run the meetings at which MX-5 Cup races will be held, the MX-5 Club of NSW is organising and will be managing the MX-5 Cup championship.

Anyone can run at the individual events without being a member of the MX-5 club, or an interstate equivalent, but must be a member to accrue points and be eligible for the championship.

BigDaddy, if you are not happy with the support of racing by your local MX-5 club, you could always engage that club and work to change those attitudes. Otherwise if you want to run in the MX-5 Cup championship, I suggest you join the NSW club, as it is certainly demonstrating support for racing.
2011 NC LE "Black Beauty" (ours) | 2006 NC race car "Shazza" (his) | 1998 JDM NB race car "OMG" (hers) | NC Trailer

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”