Full Cage Options

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

madjak
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Full Cage Options

Postby madjak » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:09 pm

So what are the options for a full cage? MX5 Plus and MX5 Mania both do one, but since I'm over in WA, getting it here is an issue. I don't think Magpie's courier services will work for a full cage. Does anyone know of someone that will bend and form all the bars, and ship them as a DIY package? I know of places in the USA that do this.

I have someone who can weld it up and I can do a lot of the installation myself.

Alternatively I could build the cage up here... lots of work though.

Personally if I was going a full cage I'd want the extra pillar support going from the top windscreen connections straight down to the ground at the bottom of the sill. Does anyone run with these additions and can you still get into the car?
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

Magpie
Speed Racer

Re: Full Cage Options

Postby Magpie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Courier service could work in 25kg packages :)

However, issue with pre-fab would be that it may need some modifications and the CAMS certification may prove difficult.

The shell I have at home will have a full cage installed sometime this year, door bars (doors will have the intrusion bars removed) and dash removed. If this matches what you want it may reduce costs to have 2 done at once, 1 x fully installed another pre fabed.

The cage is the responsibility (costs) of my son so it depends when he gets the money saved :) Cage will more than likley be done by Automotive Plus.

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:29 pm

I'll have to read up on the CAMS cage requirements again. My brother is an engineer and has done cage designs in the past, however I think CAMS changed the rules a few years back to only allow engineering by certified companies.

Anyway, I'll have a good look at the options and really I'm not in much rush as it would be something I need to do at the end of the year.
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks

MattR
Racing Driver

Postby MattR » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:03 pm

The cage can be self certified if you design it to the requirements of Schedule J of the CAMS manual, which specifies the tube to be used and the design configuration of the cage.

There are a number of companies that provide cage kits where the bar work is pre bent and cut into a kit and you weld it, or bolt it, together yourself.

Off the top of my head, pre fab cages can be bought from Bond Roll Bars, AGI and Rod Andrews in Sydney, more than likely Brown Davis in Melbourne. There would no doubt be a few people in WA who can build the cage for you. Talk to the guys at a race meeting to see where they got their cages done, and you soon find who the better builders are for you, based on price, cage type, materials and how quickly they can turn the job around.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:11 pm

madjak wrote:I'll have to read up on the CAMS cage requirements again. My brother is an engineer and has done cage designs in the past, however I think CAMS changed the rules a few years back to only allow engineering by certified companies.

Self-certify. That's what I did.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 pm

greenMachine/MattR thanks I learnt something today and may now change my cage plans :)

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:13 am

MattR thanks heaps for all that info... exactly what I was looking for. I have someone who can weld it up and I'm quite happy to do all the fitment, minor mods and tack it all up.

Cheers

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”