Track Day Harness Options... help!

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Track Day Harness Options... help!

Postby Red_Bullet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Magpie wrote:http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/GeneralRequirements/GQ10-Schedule-I-2017-1.pdf

Do some practice clipping on/off the FHR to the helmet (your head must be inside the helmet). It can be 'frustrating' to unclip in the beginning. Also make sure your door is partially closed BEFORE you put the harness on, most times the door will be just out of reach with a harness on :(

Thanks Magpie, that was really useful. I put the harness in the other day, but spent a few hours today making it right. It takes a little while to understand what is required. The CAMS document lines up very closely with the Schroth instructions. No coincidence there.

Bianchi-89
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Bianchi-89 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all information shared here. This is one of the topics that I read end to end.

I'm new to the forum, got my fist MX-5 (2003 model, I think it's NB8B?) last week, aiming to track and race. That's my dream toy for the weekend but road registered.

I have done the Track School half a day lesson at Wakefield Park a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I finish there I went on to inspect a car and got it!

Now I'm looking to do all the safety mods mentioned here. Have already ordered my BD roll bar with Dave at MX5 Mania yesterday and am now researching the other safety bits that I learned here: Harness, HANS and Helmet.

Cheers

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 am

Bianchi-89 wrote:I'm new to the forum, got my fist MX-5 (2003 model, I think it's NB8B?) last week

Welcome & congrats!
NB8B was the P2 revision (see VIN) available from late 2000 to early 2002. If you have a look at your vehicle's VIN you should find it's a P3 or even possibly a P4 if built in late 2003. If a P3, some might call it an NB8C, but keep in mind in Japan all NB8 (NB8A P1, NB8B P2, NB8C P3, & NB8D P4) were referred to as NB8C as this was reflected in their VIN system.

Bianchi-89
Driver

Postby Bianchi-89 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Thank you 93_Clubman,
VIN says NB30P3. Good surprise was that it came with some sort of LSD! I'm very happy with that as it was something I would definitely upgrade. I guess that money now goes to a HANS and compatible helmet, something I haven't considered before.
Cheers

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby CrazyRacer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:31 pm

Bianchi-89 wrote:Now I'm looking to do all the safety mods mentioned here. Have already ordered my BD roll bar with Dave at MX5 Mania yesterday and am now researching the other safety bits that I learned here: Harness, HANS and Helmet.Cheers

A couple of things to note...

Firstly, if you're going to use a HANS or some other FHR (which is a good thing to do) you shouldn't use a standard seat. You should add a proper race seat to your list as the FHR will need one with harness holes in the back rest as the they need the shoulder harness straps to converge behind your neck. A standard seat will push them outwards. The downside of this if your keeping the car road registered is that most race seats aren't ADR compliant and so aren't road legal. If you do get a race seat, be careful which one you get as its a pretty tight space and many are too big to fit in an MX5. There are other posts on the forum about which seats fit.

Secondly, on both the NB BD roll bars I've had, the rear harness strap mounting holes are in the wrong spot. They do not line up with the shoulder straps as they leave the seat but are skewed towards the centre of the car. I think that you might be able to use the right most one as a single attachment point for both straps if you're OK with that. The other issue is that if you're tall and your seat is as far back as it can go, the shoulder straps will angle down too much, which can damage your back in the event of an impact. You probably should find a way to mount them higher. It might not be such a problem if you're shorter and the seat is mounted further forward as the angle will be less.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Bianchi-89 wrote:Good surprise was that it came with some sort of LSD!

IIRC, the only Aust domestic market MX5 NB8 to come from the factory with an LSD was the 1999 NB8A 10AE & the 2004-2005 NB8D SE (ie Turbo), so if it's actually got an LSD (some think ADM NB8 does because some JDM NB8 did), then it will have been fitted by/for a previous owner, which isn't uncommon.

Bianchi-89
Driver

Postby Bianchi-89 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Thank you CrazyRacer for pointing that out. Bucket seat is on my list.

Today I visited Racedeal and revolutionracegear and did more research online. Apparently best deals are at demon-tweeks.com

My shopping list is looking like this:
- Brown Davis Roll Bar
- Bucket Seat - Sparco Sprint V(I tried one at racedeal)
- Seat Adapter
- Harnesses Sparco Endurance 6 Point FHR 2''
- Helmet: Bell Sport 5(comes with HANS Post Kit)
- Stand21 Club series FHR/HANS
- Fire extinguisher - Mount
- Fire extinguisher - 1Kg
- CAMS Stickers

Not sure if I'll need to buy Towing hook of if the stock ones are good enought?

After a couple of track days I'll assess and decide if I need race suite gear or can start modding other stuff in the car like coilovers+wheels+tires+sway bar.

It's a gorgeous day in Sydney today and I got a bit of a sunburn for driving around with the top down...

Cheers

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby CrazyRacer » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Bianchi-89 wrote:Apparently best deals are at demon-tweeks.com

Demon Tweeks can look like good value, but by the time you convert to our crappy dollar, pay for shipping from the UK, pay GST and other assorted import fees etc, wait weeks for it to turn up (if it doesn't go missing) it can end up not the great deal you thought.

Buying locally means that you can get advice, try thing on and usually take them back for exchange if they're not right. Most of the local motorsport shops will also do a better than advertised price once you're in their shop with a credit card or cash in your hand.

Bianchi-89 wrote:Not sure if I'll need to buy Towing hook of if the stock ones are good enought?

Stock ones are usually OK for sprints although they don't pass the CAMS dimension test. If you're concerned you could hang a couple of bow shackles from Bunnings off them.

Bianchi-89
Driver

Postby Bianchi-89 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm

CrazyRacer wrote:it can end up not the great deal you thought.

You are absolutely right.

I ended up going all the way to MX5Mania and got almost everything I needed for this first buy. Sparco seat adapter and a proper fire extinguisher mount were not available.

Over the weekend I installed the roll bar and fixed the fire extinguisher. Car is at a local Auto shop at the moment to upgrade brake lines and pads.

CrazyRacer wrote: If you're concerned you could hang a couple of bow shackles from Bunnings off them.

That's a good hack! I'll leave it as is for now.

Thank you all and see you Sunday at the track day!

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”