Track Day Harness Options... help!

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Track Day Harness Options... help!

Postby manga_blue » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:00 pm

Yes, I've got eyebolts either side to take the harness lap belts plus a roughly 150x40x3mm piece of steel from the tunnel side eyebolt to a Mazda seatbelt buckle to take the standard lap/sash belt. As mentioned earlier, it's a bit of a pain to do up the standard buckle through the side of the Sparco but it's the only thing you can do. Also it's better to unbolt the standard belt at the door side and thread it through the Sparco hole on that side so that you get the standard belt positioned properly across your hips.

’95 NA8

SnaveSnavely
Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby SnaveSnavely » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:20 am

manga_blue wrote:Yes, I've got eyebolts either side to take the harness lap belts plus a roughly 150x40x3mm piece of steel from the tunnel side eyebolt to a Mazda seatbelt buckle to take the standard lap/sash belt. As mentioned earlier, it's a bit of a pain to do up the standard buckle through the side of the Sparco but it's the only thing you can do. Also it's better to unbolt the standard belt at the door side and thread it through the Sparco hole on that side so that you get the standard belt positioned properly across your hips.

Thanks. I've been using the Sparco Sprint with the stock belt with it threaded through the hole on the right hand side but clipping into the buckle over the side of the seat on the left, not through the hole. I know that's not ideal but I didn't want to modify the buckle before I worked out what I was doing with the harness. Is that an NB buckle you've used on the piece of steel?

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:57 am

I may have misled you there. :| NA8s and NBs have the buckle attached to the seat itself so you have to find a new way to mount the buckle when you change the seat. My picture shows a remounted NA8 buckle. I now realise you have an NA6 Doesn't that have the buckle already mounted on a stalk off the tunnel? In which case you just replace the old bolt into the tunnel with an eye bolt.
’95 NA8

SnaveSnavely
Driver

Postby SnaveSnavely » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:27 pm

All good, I understood 8) problem with the NA6 buckle on the trans tunnel is that it's too long and won't go through the hole in the Sprint, it comes up too high. If swap to an NA8/NB receiver that normally goes on the seat it will sit lower on the tunnel and I'll be able to get the buckle down through the hole in the Sprint... Hope that makes sense...

PeterB
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:27 pm

In my NA6s, I used two eyelets in the Brown Davis bar mounting points for the shoulder straps (3").
Two longer eyelets to replace the standard bolts on both hip belt points (standard eyelet bolt that came with belt were too short).
Two eyelets under the seat with Revolution threaded backing plates for the crutch strap. They cleared everything underfloor.
The NA6 belt receiver has a hard plastic cover over the seat belt. This can be removed and the now flexible seat belt fed in through the slot in the LHS of the Sparco seat making it easy to clip up and sit correctly over hips.

For the NB8A I use the same rear and RHS eyelet mountings as the NA6.
Under seat mountings are also the same eyelets with Revolution backing plates.
For the LHS hip mounting, I drilled the transmission tunnel at about the same spot the NA6 belt is mounted and used a Revolution backing plate with eyelet (I hold this in place with two small bolts for convenience so it doesn't drop out when the eyelet bolt is removed). I have a NB8A belt receiver that I have removed from a seat and mount that on the transmission tunnel with the eyelet to use for driving to the track and home with the Sparco seat (can't use the flexible NA6 receiver as wont take the NB8A belt buckle) so it is more difficult to use than the NA6. This doesn't work with a standard seat as the seat fouls the eyelet and wont go back full travel, but is fine with the Sparco.

I will be upgrading to a HANS device for the future, although have used only a 3" harness in the past.
Peter B
MX5 free for present

SnaveSnavely
Driver

Postby SnaveSnavely » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks for the detailed response PeterB. I actually ordered longer eye bolts last night and when I took the buckle out again thought I could take the plastic thing that stiffens it off... Glad I'm on the right track...

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Breathing life into an old thread. I have a question, does this look suitable? Was a bit worried that shoulder straps look really long but they are adjustable at the top mount I think....

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/harnesses/omp-802-hans-6-point-saloon-harness

plohl
Racing Driver

Postby plohl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Yeah, it should be ok. There should be a lot of adjustment in the 3" chest strap, and then you just set the length of the shoulder straps.

Schroth have some good videos on how to set up a harness.

IIRC Cams have changed there rules as well, so you need to have the 3" web section within a certain distance from the hanns device. Something to be aware of if you're doing lots of CAMS events.
Cheers,
plohl

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 pm

They will certainly be totally adjustable at the rear of the shoulder straps where they mount to the vehicle.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks guys. I've decided to get safe, already pushed my luck too far doing sprints for 3 years not having a harness or HANS

Getting a HANS, New HANS compatible helmet, Harness, 2 long eyelets, 2 mounting plates.

I have a BD rollbar and Sprint 5 seat already, have I missed anything?

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 am

http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/GeneralRequirements/GQ10-Schedule-I-2017-1.pdf

Do some practice clipping on/off the FHR to the helmet (your head must be inside the helmet). It can be 'frustrating' to unclip in the beginning. Also make sure your door is partially closed BEFORE you put the harness on, most times the door will be just out of reach with a harness on :(

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks for the info Magpie....

bear2230
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bear2230 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Here is my set up done by Mania.
There are another 2 under the seat for the crotch strap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scooby - Silver SP - Build # 53
Snowie - White NB project car. Engineered and registered :)
Vader - Hilux & Gretel the black German Bitch

Nuddy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Nuddy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 am

I was waiting for my roll cage (BD half cage) for my NB before fitting my 6 point harness so I bought a Simpson Hybrid FHR and compatible helmet.
The Simpson uses a body harness so it works even with a lap sash belt but it does have provision for the harness straps too.
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

Nuddy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Nuddy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:27 am

Magpie wrote:http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/GeneralRequirements/GQ10-Schedule-I-2017-1.pdf

Do some practice clipping on/off the FHR to the helmet (your head must be inside the helmet). It can be 'frustrating' to unclip in the beginning. Also make sure your door is partially closed BEFORE you put the harness on, most times the door will be just out of reach with a harness on :(

Yes I have had to unclip to reach the door to close it.
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”