Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

zossy1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Buying a new fire extinguisher

Postby zossy1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi guys,

My race car fire extinguisher is nearly out of date.

So... I need a new one. I want one as new as possible so it will last as long as possible.

Where is everyone sourcing their fire extinguishers? My last one came from SuperCheap, and it must have already been at least a year old (I didn't check it back then).

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Re: Buying a new fire extinguisher

Postby manga_blue » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Aldi (runs and hides). They have them on special once or twice a year. I just open them all up to find the newest. They're anything from a couple of months up to a year old. It's so daggy that it's like I should be asking for a pensioner discount on them at the counter. :lol:
’95 NA8

Jeo
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Jeo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:32 pm

manga_blue wrote:I just open them all up to find the newest.

This, but SuperCheap. Massive variation but I managed to find one that was only a few months old.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 am

Jeo wrote:
manga_blue wrote:I just open them all up to find the newest.

This, but SuperCheap. Massive variation but I managed to find one that was only a few months old.

This.

Aldi dropped the ball this time, I was ready to buy, but they had none! :roll: Went to Supercr*p, and got one stamped June 2015, metal mount 'n' all. 8)

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

kalt
Fast Driver

Postby kalt » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:53 pm

We have fire extinguisher testers come out to test the extinguishers in the office once every half year at my old office, as part of the 'maintenance schedule' of the lease agreement for the property. Maybe you can do the same at your work zossy1? Schedule to bring it in when the 'inspector' comes along and get them to tap it with hammer a few times, check the pressure and stamp your tag.

From memory, they recommend replacing extinguishers every 10 years as the chemicals inside can turn (or marketing spiel to sell new extinguishers). Maybe any fireys can chime in with correct info?
Owning a fast car is easier than driving a car, fast.

For sale
NB8 Factory Airbox

MattR
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby MattR » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:18 pm

The biggest problem with powder extinguishers is that the powder packs down so when you use it you get a nice charge of compressed air hitting the fire and hardly any powder.

You should be taking the extinguisher out of the cradle every couple of months and slowly turn it over so you can feel the powder moving around. A good time to do it is every time you prep the car for a track day.

When I was fire marshaling we used to recharge the 9kg extinguishers ourselves, the powder was basically baking soda, fun to give the crowd a hit with when we packing up at Bathurst, or a driver giving you grief foqr putting powder all over their car, especially if theybwere having a carbonated drink at the time.....

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Supercrap have them for $20. Check the date if you are buying, and if they don't have the right bracket, make sure they fit yours.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

zossy1
Racing Driver

Postby zossy1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:53 am

After going through the collective stock of three SCA stores, the newest I could find was 03/2015.

BUT - they are on sale at Aldi this weekend, found June 2015 stock - $25 with a fire blanket and car bracket. Good deal! And the Aldi ones fit better in the car than the SCA model.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:07 am

When work does the testing on fire extinguishers I normally 'drop' mine into the mix :)

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:56 pm

Magpie wrote:When work does the testing on fire extinguishers I normally 'drop' mine into the mix :)

Many years ago when my first fire extinguisher hit 3 years, I looked at the CAMS rules and then went and had it pressure tested and tagged by a qualified member of the car club I was in. At an event soon after I met a scrutineer named Heir Hitler. He decided that since the FE was older than 3 years, I shouldn't use it. I said it had been pressure tested and tagged. He said anyone could have signed it and that the tag meant nothing. I said Paul signed it and he's over there (which he was), go ask him! He started picking on me for every other little detail he could find after that.

I still occasionally see that scrutineer (12 years later). He would do the same again today if he had the chance.

Venting helps. Me, not the extinguisher!

P.S. The newest I can find at Aldi is the cheapest/best method I have found to date...my last one cost $20, and was only a couple of months old.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

mx5002
Racing Driver

Postby mx5002 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Pro tip.
Supercheap has them on sale from Thursday 9/9/15 for 20 bucks
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
SMSP south 1.04.30 SMSP GP 1:53:12 SMSP Brabham 2.21.11
Marulan 47.01
Wakefield 1.09.64 :D

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:33 pm

My local race shop has them for $35 with a yellow tag stamped for CAMS. These ones have a much sturdier bracket and I'm happy to pay the tiny bit extra for the better product and to support the local guys. The money you spend at the big chains goes to an offshore investment fund, whilst every sale at a small automotive shop helps keep them open. Sure some things are more expensive, but it's nice to be able to walk in and talk to someone knowledgeable and ask them about an issue. If we don't support them, they won't be around in the future.
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

mx5002
Racing Driver

Postby mx5002 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Very true indeed!
GREEN ITB'd NB8B
SMSP south 1.04.30 SMSP GP 1:53:12 SMSP Brabham 2.21.11
Marulan 47.01
Wakefield 1.09.64 :D

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:30 pm

Interestingly the company that owns Supercheap also owns Amart Sports, Avanti Fitness, BCF Boating Camping Fishing, Goldcross Cycles, Ray’s Outdoors, Rebel, Workout World and Super Retail Commercial.

Bennelong Funds Management Ltd 6.63%
SCA FT Pty Ltd 28.99%
Perpetual Limited 14.22%
Ellerston Capital Limited and its associates 7.10%
Westpac Banking Corporation Group and its associated companies 5.01%
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. 8.65%
National Australia Bank Limited and associated companies 5.23%
Perpetual Limited and subsidiaries 9.17%

Reg Rowe 'owns' SCA FT Pty Ltd so there is not as much money going off shore than you would think.

Notwithstanding the previous I do agree with madjak's comments on being able to walk in and talk to someone knowledgeable and ask them about an issue, you can't do this reliably in a Supercheap store.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:37 pm

I have a vintage fire extinguisher.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”