Getting started in time attack/ sprint events in SE QLD?

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

RileyR
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Getting started in time attack/ sprint events in SE QLD?

Postby RileyR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi every one,
I now live in Toowoomba, QLD and I am looking to get involved in some time attack, sprint or similar events this year on tarmac. I am looking for time trial type events at the entry level to get some sealed track experience.

I am new to motorsports, but have been entering motorkhanas and khanacross type events for a couple of years now. I have also done some dirt sprints last year with IWMAC. Late last year I entered a ‘happy laps’ type event at Queensland Raceway and my daily dríven NA8 handled itself quite well, so I think it’s time to start exploring the ‘track’ side of things. I have also been getting into iRacing and built myself a full rig haha

I have come across the ‘Street Sprints’ ‘Midweek Sprints’ and the ‘Open Sprints’ which are held at QR and Lakeside. These events look great as they have road registered classes. I have searched for car clubs in the region that do sprints on sealed tracks but haven’t come up with much, mostly dirt sprints (which are great, don’t get me wrong).

I am just wondering if there are some locals of the region that know of some good clubs or events outside of these sprints at QR. Also, which series (out of the Street, Midweek or Open Sprints) would you recommend to a newcomer? Im a UNI bum so I can make it to the midweek sprints, which might be a good option due to there being less entrants?

Thanks for any advice :beer:
1996 BRG NA8

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Getting started in time attack/ sprint events in SE QLD?

Postby Magpie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:45 pm

The QR website has a good bit of info on getting into sprints. Mid week at QR has more laps as there are less in attendance. Street sprints (just ran round 1) has a good mix of cars and all up we did 6 sessions (1 out lap, 4 flying, 1 cool down).

Another option is general practice, however last Sunday it was 2 groups only (tin tops, open wheelers) so you are sharing the track with some serious cars. But as long as you listen to the breifing and watch your mirrors it is enjoyable. Did about 60 laps of the national on Sunday, the previous general practice was about 40 laps as there was 3 groups.

You will need a QR licence at about $55 a year as well as a transponder about $100.

For IWMAC and Morgan Park you will need a CAMS licence. Keep an eye out for SDT training days at Morgan Park as these are well worth attending. Paul Stokell runs training days as well again worth attending.

The MX5 car club runs track days (very good value) however these are more at Lakeside than QR so would be a bit of travel for you from Toowoomba. Have you looked at street sprints like Gatton or Oakey?

Feel free to call in on a dodgy day to chat with others about tracking your car.

RileyR
Fast Driver

Postby RileyR » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks for the info Magpie,
I had no idea there was general practice sessions at QR. Ill keep an eye on the QR calendar for a good time to go.
I think a driver training day is needed, it is good to know where to go for good training, hopefully some faults can be corrected before they become habits. I will prioritize an MX5 track day this year, I think the price turned me away last year from memory. The Gatton and Oakey sprints look pretty serious but would probably be great experience.
Looks like there are a lot of options up here in QLD, so ill just have to dive in. I have been planning to drop in at some point to have a look at options for a new seat (maybe sparco) so I can run a harness - hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
1996 BRG NA8

MattR
Racing Driver

Postby MattR » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:12 am

Also the local car club at Warwick, Western districts from memory????, run CAMS accredited sprint series at Morgan Park, there is an A and B series that are quite popular with 6 rounds for each. You will need a CAMS 2S licence for those events which will also serve you for the sprint events at Oakey, Gatton, Leyburn and so on, which are great weekends.

And hopefully the track will be up and running at Well Camp in the next few years, maybe, it's gone awful quiet on that front.

RileyR
Fast Driver

Postby RileyR » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:45 am

Awesome. Thanks Matt I will look into it. Well camp would be a great spot to hold some events!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
1996 BRG NA8

Vat
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Vat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:25 pm

MattR wrote:And hopefully the track will be up and running at Well Camp in the next few years, maybe, it's gone awful quiet on that front.

Focus would be on the airport at the moment. Cairns and Melbourne flights kick off in March.
'98 Evo Gold NB8A
QR-Clubman 66.5109|Sprint 63.3635|Sportsman 67.4673|National 92.3481|Lakeside 65.7478|MP K 1:35.382|MP E 1:16.422|NM 1:08.017

rossburns
Fast Driver

Postby rossburns » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:11 am

hey give me a call would love to get some fellow MX5's together here in toowoomba :beer: :NA6:

rossburns
Fast Driver

Postby rossburns » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:12 am

better give you the number 0403547266 :NA6:

RileyR
Fast Driver

Postby RileyR » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:33 am

That would be good. I have seen a few around

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
1996 BRG NA8

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”