Video Turn-by-Turn Guide to Phillip Island

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Video Turn-by-Turn Guide to Phillip Island

Postby beavis » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:20 am

I was inspired by Dan who made a video for SMSP and decided to make my own version of a 'hot to drive fast' guide for Phillip Island

I'm not a professional racing car driver, so I might have things a little wrong. But I think I have it about 90% right for most people.
I do understand that there will be people out there who run with twice the weight, or 5 times the power, and YES they are going to have a different driving technique.
I'm also not a professional video editor or presenter, so sorry about the amateurish look of things and my stuttering voice.

Anyway here it is, my take on how to drive around Phillip Island (in an MX-5) quickly.

Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Video Turn-by-Turn Guide to Phillip Island

Postby Dan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:23 am

You might not be a professional video editor but that was about 10 times more professional than my video haha

The advice was well presented and I think the focus on primarily using the in-car video probably made it easier to understand.

Great job!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:26 am

Nice Brendan!

Having survived a tankslapper on the exit if T12 that threatened to put me into the inside wall, I heartily endorse the need to get the line right through there!

The comment about being flat from the exit of MG to T1 (or even T2, depending on tyres/power) is also a good tip that will pay dividends in lap time. I look forward to going back there later in the year and trying a few other tips too.

For those going there for the first time, this is a valuable resource, however (as always at a new circuit) build speed up slowly. For those who are still getting to grips with the track this should be a goldmine of lap time!

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:47 pm

greenMachine wrote:The comment about being flat from the exit of MG to T1 (or even T2, depending on tyres/power)

I am actually flat to T2, but i didn't want to be a smartypants in the video :P
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Ned Loh
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Ned Loh » Mon May 02, 2016 1:40 pm

beavis wrote:
greenMachine wrote:The comment about being flat from the exit of MG to T1 (or even T2, depending on tyres/power)

I am actually flat to T2, but i didn't want to be a smartypants in the video :P

Nice work!

Fairly impressive to flat through T1. would raise the heart beat that's for sure. Could you do this before adding your aero package?

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Mon May 02, 2016 1:53 pm

No.

However keep in mind, the cars top speed down the straight is now slower, at around only 195kmh. So entry into the corner is slower than without aero.

The aero helps to get around the corner reasonably smoothly, but even with the foot flat to the floor, the car loses speed due to scrub.

Ned Loh
Fast Driver

Postby Ned Loh » Mon May 02, 2016 2:43 pm

beavis wrote:No.

However keep in mind, the cars top speed down the straight is now slower, at around only 195kmh. So entry into the corner is slower than without aero.

The aero helps to get around the corner reasonably smoothly, but even with the foot flat to the floor, the car loses speed due to scrub.

just out of curiosity what's the top speed differential with / with out aero? (if you know)

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 pm

I can't remember exactly AND there were many more variables than just a rear wing, but it was roughly 10-15kmh.

Ned Loh
Fast Driver

Postby Ned Loh » Mon May 02, 2016 3:23 pm

beavis wrote:I can't remember exactly AND there were many more variables than just a rear wing, but it was roughly 10-15kmh.

Thanks. (yes many variables, but was just curious!)

again, well done on tacking the time to make the video.

madjak
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby madjak » Mon May 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Such an awesome track... One day I'll have to drag my car over there and have a play. Thanks for the video... if I ever run the track I know the good lines before even getting there.
NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 pm

beavis wrote:I can't remember exactly AND there were many more variables than just a rear wing, but it was roughly 10-15kmh.

Brendan, were you running your wing in low-drag AoA configuration? Never having run a car with aero there I am assuming that low drag/low downforce would be quickest, compared to high drag/high downforce, because of the long full throttle high gear pulls (MG-T1/2, T2-T4, and T6-T9)?

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

lightyear
Infinity & Beyond
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby lightyear » Tue May 03, 2016 7:19 am

That wing had no low drag set up. And won't be used again.
NA8B - P.I 1:50.1 Wntn1:38.0 Sand1:27.6 Wntn S1:08 Bfrd1:06.9 Cldr1:08.5 Wak1:10.4
"SE" - P.I 1:43.8 Wntn1:32.9 Sand1:22.0 Bfrd1:05.3

ianoz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby ianoz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks for the video Beavis, it's a terrific guide for the island!

Helped cut 2 sec of my pb - now I've only got to drop another 7 to match your NA6 time from years ago... :roll:

Any chance of one for Winton/Sandown? :)
NA6 '89 red, NB8B '01 silver

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:14 pm

Ian, it's a pleasure to be of service. Next time you plan on being out at the track, let me know and I'll see if i can come out and help you out with some tips :)
I think my best time with a stock NA6 was about 2:08, way back when on the old surface.... nowadays the 'stock' NA's are around 2:03 so times have certainly changed!

I will get around to doing an Winton video in the near future. Sandown however I have not been there in quite a while so maybe that video is a little while off yet. :NB8B:

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:57 am

In the interim, Matty's track tips might have been of interest as they included Winton, but either the URLs have changed, or all but PI 1 have been deleted:

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”