Best iPhone track app?

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Best iPhone track app?

Postby davekmoore » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 am

After a few hours with the performance delta app in Assetto Corsa I can't believe that I'm still not using something similar in Vic Sprint events.

What recommendations please for apps that will give the same sort of info?

Thanks in advance.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

hmd
Driver

Re: Best iPhone track app?

Postby hmd » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Dave,

Harry lap timer. Alan Conrad used it I think.

ianoz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby ianoz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 pm

any thoughts of harry's vs racechrono ?

harry's seems more featured but does it have a simple lap time display like racechrono? the screenshots all seem a lot more cluttered.
NA6 '89 red, NB8B '01 silver

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:41 am

Get an ANDROID with Racechrono, it's the best lap timer out there.
I think I have a spare Samsung Galaxy S2 actually.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

hmd
Driver

Postby hmd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:52 pm

ianoz wrote:any thoughts of harry's vs racechrono ?

harry's seems more featured but does it have a simple lap time display like racechrono? the screenshots all seem a lot more cluttered.

yes it does have the laptimer screen. It has sector splits on this as well and tell you how fast or slow you are compared to your reference laptime (usually your best lap).

ssfc10
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby ssfc10 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 pm

RaceChrono is great been using it for 5 years now you can link to go pro and external gps timer for better accurate. and also video recored while timing

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Get a cheap android and put RaceCrono on it. Don't be tempted to use your own phone as a lap timer. I think phones with SIM cards in them should be banned from cars on the track.
’95 NA8

Trackphotos
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby Trackphotos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:34 pm

+1 for Racechrono, which I believe is actually available on iOS now. Used to be Harry's if you have an iPhone and Racechrono if you have an Android, now both apps are available on both operating systems. Use an external GPS like a Qstarz 818xt paired via bluetooth for proper accuracy, the internal 1hz GPS in most phones just isn't good enough to get you anything useful.

The data on this video was captured with Racechrono on a Galaxy S4 paired with a Qstarz 818xt. The G-force data is sourced from the phone's accelerometer and not the GPS. Racechrono can interpolate based on position and speed data what the G's are, but it's pretty rough. Because the G data is sourced from the phone, it needs to be mounted firmly in place. Mine was stuck at the top of the windscreen, also keeping it visible but unobtrusive.

manga_blue wrote:I think phones with SIM cards in them should be banned from cars on the track.

Has them being allowed ever caused an incident?
QR Clubman: 1:03.9 | QR Sprint: 1:01.4 | QR National: 1:29.4 | LS: 1:01.5 | Mt Cotton: 51.6

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:01 am

manga_blue wrote:I think phones with SIM cards in them should be banned from cars on the track.

Trackphotos wrote:Has them being allowed ever caused an incident?
The question might be would anyone admit to having an accident because a mobile phone broke their concentration?

I used to use an old spare Nokia for RaceChrono, which was in practical terms the best functional implememtation of the app until sadly it became unsupported. The first time I used my active Android phone for RaceChrono it rang during a session and it did distract me for a second. I swore never to carry a real phone in the cockpit again.
’95 NA8

hmd
Driver

Postby hmd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:11 am

There is a 'do not disturb' function on the phone, always turn this on at the track.

ssfc10
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby ssfc10 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Race chrono is now on iphone according to there web site http://racechrono.com/

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:03 pm

do you need pro racechrono to get the best out of the app? I essential just want lap times but lap and video would be nice.

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Trackphotos wrote:+1 for Racechrono, which I believe is actually available on iOS now. Used to be Harry's if you have an iPhone and Racechrono if you have an Android, now both apps are available on both operating systems. Use an external GPS like a Qstarz 818xt paired via bluetooth for proper accuracy, the internal 1hz GPS in most phones just isn't good enough to get you anything useful.

The data on this video was captured with Racechrono on a Galaxy S4 paired with a Qstarz 818xt. The G-force data is sourced from the phone's accelerometer and not the GPS. Racechrono can interpolate based on position and speed data what the G's are, but it's pretty rough. Because the G data is sourced from the phone, it needs to be mounted firmly in place. Mine was stuck at the top of the windscreen, also keeping it visible but unobtrusive.

Has them being allowed ever caused an incident?

Cheers for the info, just hit the buy button on a qstarz 818xt

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm

The problem with any phone based app is the reliance the phones in built sensors. Phone sensors are not motorsport grade by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes people will argue that they cannot tell the difference and brand X is more accurate than the expensive brand Y.

There are alternatives out now that just use the phone to transfer data as well as just display data as the ‘black box’ has its own sensors as well as expandable! Have you considered something like this instead of an App?

Snowmotion
Racing Driver

Postby Snowmotion » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:29 pm

I agree with Racechrono Pro. The best timing app I have used.

I have been using a Lenovo Tab3 Essential 7" tablet. It is not the current model so mostly found second hand on ebay.
But this tablet has an inbult GPS receiver so is quite accurate.
NB8A| WP 1:15.6 | SMP-S 1:08.56 | SMP-N 1:21.35
NC1| WP 1:09.42 | SMP-S 1:03.191 | SMP-N 1:16.1856 | SMP-GP 1:48.288

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”