AiM Race Studio

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

AiM Race Studio

Postby greenMachine » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Who on here is using AiM products, and their associated Race Studio software?

I am about to pull the trigger on a new SoloDL2, and I would love to hear from anyone who uses the AiM dashes, displays and/or loggers and their experience with the hardware and software, especially the software.

For those who are lining up to tell me about their favourite phone apps etc, I NEED a serial connection, my ecu has no CAN output and I have no OBD output to read.

Thanks

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: AiM Race Studio

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:13 pm

I used the first version of the Solo DL connected to my OBDII port in my NC for a number of years and it really helped me figure out how to go faster in finding things I was doing wrong but mostly to be more consistent by splitting the course up into segments and seeing what I did different on the laps I was fast within that segment (where I braked, where I got on the gas, speed etc..) then trying to repeat.

If you have a GoPro you can also sync your data to the video to do an overlay using an app like RaceRender 3 to be able to visually see what you were doing if you want to get a better feel for what was going on in the car, here's an example of this which I did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FEsL_8CvUs

The solo is really simple to use in the car as well as downloading from it but the race studio software while very powerful is a bit intimidating until you spend some time to get the hang of it.

These 2 videos in particular really helped me understand how to use the software and how to interpret the data so if you get an Aim datalogger I'd definitely suggest you watch both of them:
http://vimeo.com/32178690
http://vimeo.com/84929470

Sold my Solo when I sold my car but I'm looking around for a new MX5 at the moment (moving house where I'll have room for another car) and I'm sure I'll buy a Solo 2 when I find the right car.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:44 am

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks Dan, Magpie.

I have done a fair bit of trawling, and on the basis of that I am going to proceed with a SoloDL2.

One thing that surprises me is that there does not seem to be an Aim forum as such, or at least my searches did not turn it up. Dan, did you find anything like that?

Thanks for those video links. I now remember watching one of those a while ago, when I was first working with the Racepak data. It was very good, and I will be revisiting it, and watching the second, in the coming weeks.

I have the wiring diagram, the Autronic is set up with the connection ready to plug it in.

Now to get the car onto the track!

Build thread

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 am

greenMachine wrote:Now to get the car onto the track!
My thoughts exactly, closest I have been is having some fun in a RZR170 in the front yard after rebuilding the carbby :(

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:51 am

I found the DL itself a breeze to use. Aim Studios not so much. I learnt a lot from James Colborns video tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_XdPW ... jm7C5cKxXw

I have found the SoloDL accuracy "ok" but not perfect. You can export your racing line into google maps and there will be odd laps where you are metres off track.
The accuracy of timing etc is pretty good but dependant on the number of satellites you pick up. I usually get 7+ satellites at WP and SMSP but do get the odd lap that's off by almost half a second from the track timing. It usually only shows slower on the lap I break my PB on though :lol:

With the ECU serial connection, I have mine plugged into an Adaptronic ECU and it logs everything it says it should except AFR (shows a static number) and speed is waaaay out but I use GPS speed instead anyway.

All in all happy with it. Just wish it had a "Start Logging" button on it instead of relying on vehicle speed/rpm to trigger as I could never get the "Point to Point" mode to work for hill climbs etc. But thats probably just user error.
MeepMeep

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks RR. I'll have a look at that tute too!

I have broadened my search to include the as-yet-unreleased MXm dash. More money than I want to spend, but when I add a programmable shift light to the price of the DL2, the gap narrows (not looking at ebay specials).

Interesting about the timing/location. I have read that the unit can do this as a result of switching satellites and that this can be exacerbated if the switch is as a result of, for example, a window frame obscuring a satellite. If I go down the DL path, it will be mounted on the roll bar, under the hardtop so that would hopefully minimise these events, but that is a consideration for the MXm with its internal GPS antenna sitting down in front of the dash. And it doesn't look like an external GPS antenna can be used with the MXm, though full documentation is not yet available.

Build thread

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:51 pm

Having no external antenna on the MXm is truly bizarre. But it looks like even the Solo2 doesnt support external GPS either, seems to be listed for the MXL and SmartyCam.

I know it made a huge difference on the race car when i switched from the antenna on the front dashboard to outside the car on the hatch with my Racepak dash.

The AIM software seems to be more intuitive than the Racepak gear too, which can only be a good thing.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:23 pm

greenMachine wrote:If I go down the DL path, it will be mounted on the roll bar, under the hardtop so that would hopefully minimise these events,
Be aware that like radio antennas GPS antennas require a ground plane, hence why they have a magnetic base. I poke mine out from under the hardtop to the bit of 'tin' just before the boot.

takai wrote:The AIM software seems to be more intuitive than the Racepak gear too, which can only be a good thing.
Agree the Racepak software is not very useful out of the box, but if you can create custom pages it is actually very good. For some idea have a look here http://forums.racepak.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1834

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Magpie wrote:
takai wrote:The AIM software seems to be more intuitive than the Racepak gear too, which can only be a good thing.
Agree the Racepak software is not very useful out of the box, but if you can create custom pages it is actually very good. For some idea have a look here http://forums.racepak.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1834

Yeah, the newer pages feature looks good. But it wasnt around back in 2011 when i was using it a lot. Haven't had the AE86 on track since 2012. :(

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:16 pm

greenMachine wrote:One thing that surprises me is that there does not seem to be an Aim forum as such, or at least my searches did not turn it up. Dan, did you find anything like that?

Yeh I never found one. Once you learn how to use the software this is a good book https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide- ... 1456587919 it has Aim specific information in it as well.

takai wrote:Having no external antenna on the MXm is truly bizarre. But it looks like even the Solo2 doesnt support external GPS either, seems to be listed for the MXL and SmartyCam.

The MXM allows you to connect to a Data Hub which should allow you to use an external GPS - Here's the doco for the data hub http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/d ... 03_eng.pdf

Also I never had any issues with GPS being out on my Solo DL in the 30 or so track days I took it to. I had mine solidly mounted into the middle of the dash with nothing above it which probably helped.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”