Fire Supression

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Fire Supression

Postby Magpie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:51 pm

World Time Attack Challenge in the 2018 rules state: "It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to fit an on-board and plumbed in fire extinguisher system (fire bomb) of a minimum of 2.4litre capacity and recommended to comply with the FIA requirements"

After seeing 2 fires during WTAC 2017 and 1 in 2016 I decided to visit Racer Industries and pick up a Zero 2000 4.0ltr Steel Mechanical Extinguisher System. Whilst this will add about 7kg of extra weight to the car, I personally consider that a life is worth more than a car.

When you consider the time it takes to get out of your harness/seat, grab the extinguisher and try and put out the fire a 1kg hand held may almost be useless. Even if the emergency response crews are only a few mins away by that time the damage could already be extensive.

Again if money was no object, an electronic friendly system could be purchased, however AFFF is just as good (but not ECU friendly).

There are other choices out there, Elide Fire extinguisher ball or BlazeCut these are not FIA or CAMS approved and personally that is a shame as these look to be effective. However, the included 5m hose is not sufficient if it will be located in the boot.

System was purchased from Racer Industries. It was a fun day fitting and making/bending brackets.

Lots of 'stuff'

1 of 4 engine bay nozzles

2 of 4 driver's side nozzles (passenger seat gets none)

Drivers side and part of the engine bay plumbing

Just in case the question is asked "why so many nozzles" - The Lifeline web site it says the current kit for Zero 2000 FIA 4.0ltr Fire Marshal Mechanical - Steel Cylinder includes "8 nozzles (4 nozzles in the engine and 4 in the cockpit) with reduced delivery tube diameter (8mm)". Note the hose is 8mm OD (Eaton synflex 1300). The Zero 2000 nozzles produce a 90° fine mist, Zero 360 nozzles a 120° flat fan (blue nozzle) and 160° flat fan (gold nozzle).

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Fire Supression

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Nice job.

Yeah, the 1kg ones are only a small step up from trying to blow the fire out like a candle.

I remember one track day years ago seeing a WRX start to burn under the bonnet, about 6-8 1kg extinguishers did absolutely nothing, the fire wasnt out until the proper fire guys got there and used the big stuff.

a 1kg is fine for small stuff, like the BBQ, or the kitchen, but kind of useless in a car fire.

The big benefit of yours is the ability to douse the fire without having to open the bonnet and let in more air.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:59 pm

My policy is that the 1kg extinguishers are to dump at your feet/legs to give you a few more seconds to get out.

Fire bombs like this are better for actually putting something out. Just remember to put the safety in when off track and take it out on track. I have a friend whose 18mo son dumped the firebomb on him when he was upside down under the dash of the rally car. Similarly i have seen a car go up because someone forgot to remove the safety tag.

Those remove before flight keyring tags are useful for this sort of thing. https://www.ebay.com/p/Pack-of-10-White ... 2910553916

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:15 pm

takai wrote: Those remove before flight keyring tags are useful for this sort of thing.
Thinking of those, however it needs to be placed somewhere obvious to make sure it is installed back into the extinguisher. Think alongside a switch that needs to have the pin installed to start.

In the alternative, the pin and tag is attached to the race suit, like a pilots ejection seat pin.

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:57 pm

When i was hanging upside down in a rolled race car with a ruptured fuel tank i was mighty glad i had a plumbed in system. Wouldn’t consider wheel 2 wheel racing without one
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

chrons_rotary
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby chrons_rotary » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Magpie wrote:
takai wrote: Those remove before flight keyring tags are useful for this sort of thing.
Thinking of those, however it needs to be placed somewhere obvious to make sure it is installed back into the extinguisher. Think alongside a switch that needs to have the pin installed to start.

In the alternative, the pin and tag is attached to the race suit, like a pilots ejection seat pin.

Maybe put it on a keyring attached to the battery isolator key?

Looks great so far Magpie!

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:38 am

Thinking about a simple switch on the pin that is linked to a light that the system is armed. Attaching the pin to the race suit is also a good idea.

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”