Data logging

Anything to do with the MX5 and Motor Sport

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Data logging

Postby Magpie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 am

Hopefully the interest in this subject may warrant its own area, however...

For the record I am a member of Team Racepak for 2018...

Here is a review of a real time data system from Racepak: https://www.thecoloradokarter.com/track-tested-racepak-vantage-cl1/

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

AiM vs Racepak

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm

I am a Racepak user, but with the part-out of my racecar the IQ3 logger dash is for sale (posted elsewhere on the forum) as it is not a good fit for my new road-going SE.

I am leaning heavily towards AiM at the moment, either a SoloDL2, or a MXm dash. Neither are yet available here, expected in a matter of a week or two. I need a logger, and a shift light, and a serial connection to my ecu. Both meet these criteria, both have wifi. The Solo may be too bulky to sit in front of the dash, so in that case a separate shift light will be required - more $$, bringing it a bit closer to the MXm in price.

I looked at the CL1 when it was first released, and I will have a good read of that review - thanks for posting that Magpie.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Re: Data logging

Postby SKYHI » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm keen to get into some more data logging. It's always been an interest of mine and I've dabbled with a few units, but never really got the most out of them.

I started with a Race Technology DL1, when I had my STi race car and then shifted it into my first NA MX5. Sold that and got a Solo DL when I had my Toyota 86 and it worked really well with the OBD2, but once again never really got into too much data analysis.

Now that I have the SE with the Megasquirt ECU, I'm once again looking at my options and had been considering the Racecapture Pro with a tablet display mounted in the car. I had a look into the CL1 when Magpie posted some infor the other day and it could well be another option, but just need to consider what is going to work best for me.

having someone like Magpie who can help me analyse the data and get the most from the equipment is a big bonus, so that may just sway me into the Racepak gear :)

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 pm

TCR wrote:... need to consider what is going to work best for me.
I will get this into a better format, but here it is https://www.facebook.com/teamracepak/posts/2061436094140311.

I have a few other articles to write, so will post them here as well.

greenMachine wrote:I am leaning heavily towards AiM at the moment, either a SoloDL2, or a MXm dash.
Would be good to have some reviews on these as well. I have used Innovate as well as its software as Vbox. Shane Phol has Motec stuff so hopefully he can add some thoughts.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:34 pm

I had a Racepak IQ3 logger in the AE86, which worked really well in conjunction with the Haltech. But seeing that the MX5 wont have a programmable ECU (for now), using a full dash setup is a bit of an overkill.

The CL1 had me interested, but once i saw that its a subscription model, that kind of kills it for me TBH. Im sick of being locked into one system, and then having it pulled out from under you once it has been deemed 'end of life.' Far prefer something standalone, or cheap enough to not care.

Back to looking at RaceChrono/RaceDac.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Magpie wrote:I will get this into a better format, but here it is https://www.facebook.com/teamracepak/posts/2061436094140311.

Thanks Mark, will have a read when I get a chance.

takai wrote:I had a Racepak IQ3 logger in the AE86, which worked really well in conjunction with the Haltech. But seeing that the MX5 wont have a programmable ECU (for now), using a full dash setup is a bit of an overkill.

The CL1 had me interested, but once i saw that its a subscription model, that kind of kills it for me TBH. Im sick of being locked into one system, and then having it pulled out from under you once it has been deemed 'end of life.' Far prefer something standalone, or cheap enough to not care.

Back to looking at RaceChrono/RaceDac.

Isn't only subscription based if you want the cloud service for access to live data in pits or off site etc, or have I misunderstood?

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm

takai wrote:The CL1 had me interested, but once i saw that its a subscription model, that kind of kills it for me TBH.

A non subscription real time option is https://podium.live/

TCR wrote:Isn't only subscription based if you want the cloud service for access to live data in pits or off site etc, or have I misunderstood?
"Data is stored locally on the mobile phone device mounted on the vehicle, ready for immediate review, or available remotely with Racepak’s optional AIR Cloud technology."

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Magpie wrote:
takai wrote:The CL1 had me interested, but once i saw that its a subscription model, that kind of kills it for me TBH.

A non subscription real time option is https://podium.live/

TCR wrote:Isn't only subscription based if you want the cloud service for access to live data in pits or off site etc, or have I misunderstood?
"Data is stored locally on the mobile phone device mounted on the vehicle, ready for immediate review, or available remotely with Racepak’s optional AIR Cloud technology."

Hm, this is the problem with pre-release reviews. From what i gather from some of the reviews is that the logging is stored on the phone, but needs a subscription to get it anywhere else other than the phone. Which significantly limits the analysis potential.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:30 pm

takai wrote:Hm, this is the problem with pre-release reviews. From what i gather from some of the reviews is that the logging is stored on the phone, but needs a subscription to get it anywhere else other than the phone. Which significantly limits the analysis potential.
Hopefully soon I will have a CL-1 to test with.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Also for my use the realtime thing isn't terribly appealing, it is more having a logging option that allows for external data input, such as brake pressures and wheel sensors.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:03 pm

How will this work with cars running a standalone? There won't be any OBD2 data available. Will it just run on the GPS? That doesn't seem like enough meaningful data.

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:How will this work with cars running a standalone? There won't be any OBD2 data available. Will it just run on the GPS? That doesn't seem like enough meaningful data.

Depends on the standalone. Haltech have now incorporated OBD2 into their Elite ECUs. But as the Racepak CL1 is also designed for karting, it takes 4 analog and 4 digital inputs by default.
If they make IO expanders, such as their Universal Sensor Modules, work with it, then it can take much more.

SKYHI
Racing Driver

Postby SKYHI » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:13 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:How will this work with cars running a standalone? There won't be any OBD2 data available. Will it just run on the GPS? That doesn't seem like enough meaningful data.

Pretty sure once they have the CAN specific wiring then they'll be able to extract data from ECUs such as the Megasquirts in our cars.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:48 pm

I need a serial connection. I think that means the CL1 is out for me, so it looks like AiM will get my money.

The CL1 looks to have potential. If they can organise CAN connections to common aftermarket ECUs, that and the OBD connection should ensure a market. I am assuming that data is stored on the phone/tablet, so presumably can be saved and accessed after the event for analysis, using D3 (Datalink 3?). The real-time/cloud data looks great for driver training/coaching, monitoring car functions in enduros, etc.

It will be interesting to see how it develops over the next few years, but I will just be an interested on-looker.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

takai
Fast Driver

Postby takai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 pm

greenMachine wrote:I need a serial connection. I think that means the CL1 is out for me, so it looks like AiM will get my money.

The CL1 looks to have potential. If they can organise CAN connections to common aftermarket ECUs, that and the OBD connection should ensure a market. I am assuming that data is stored on the phone/tablet, so presumably can be saved and accessed after the event for analysis, using D3 (Datalink 3?). The real-time/cloud data looks great for driver training/coaching, monitoring car functions in enduros, etc.

It will be interesting to see how it develops over the next few years, but I will just be an interested on-looker.

Serial connection to what? Racepak do a serialised connection for the Megasquirt already, so if they allow for CL1 to V-Net that would presumably work
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... taloggers/

Return to “MX5 Motor Sport”